Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 03:01 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

You know, sometimes you do simple algebra when you don't even know it.

For example, I asked my son the other day, "If you had three excavators and you wanted to have five excavators (he is three - math is done in candy and excavators), how many more excavators would you need?" He said 2.

But my question was really:

3 + X = 5 Solve for x.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 03:22 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

Absolutely!
Guess which math I teach? GEOMETRY! It's my favorite.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:09 PM

756 posts, read 834,021 times
Exclamation It Could Be Much Worse:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
My son brought his homework home last night and there are some very simple percentage questions.

What is 40% of 200. Six is 20% of a number. You get the idea...

So he looks at it and says "Dad, can you look at this?" He has 4 pages of notes on how to do simple percentages. Why 4 pages? Because he has to set it up algebraically.

is/of=x/100 so x= you get the idea.

Why do we do this? At first I said okay it's some sort of mental math thing, but after looking at the numbers it would behoove you to have a calculator.

I am an engineer and have always hated what colleges and schools consider applied mathematics. I got into an argument with a professor one day when we were doing ideal gas law conversions because he always loves these long complicated formulas with the units. I said to him "It's plug and chug, there is no need for all this algebra." So he says to me okay, what if your units are different? I said, "I would make sure they all worked out before I started (in this case it was pascals and atmospheres.) Plus, you must have a conversion factor anyway during the problem so why not get all of that out of the way before you start?" Then the professor said. "This is the way they want us to teach it, they want to drill the concepts into your head."

This to me is the problem with math education in this country. We don't teach the easy way first. We have specific rigid operations that we attempt to force a practical application into.

My son did not understand .075 is 7.5% he did not understand that 155% would be 1.55. And I believe this was not taught to him. I get what it's doing but why the long unnecessary baby steps toward something so simple? Give them a large problem to work on, just one. Not 35 not 25 of the same problem with different numbers just one complex multistage problem.

A couple of weeks we were talking about the dangers of tailgating reaction time and distance traveled at 80 vs 65. And a smart guy I know says yeah you travel like 200 more feet between braking at 80 and braking at 60. I said well I agree with the sentiment but the math is wrong." he said no at 80 your traveling like 200 feet a second. I said I think it's more like 120 ft/sec. Then he mumbles some numbers and starts jotting down a algebraic formula and then looks at it confused, erases it and then tries again. I pull out my phone and type and say at the same time 5280x80/60/60= and 117.33 comes up. I said yeah its 117 ft per second at 80mph and he says, no because you did not account for the seconds..... I said "What?, no I'm pretty positive that is correct" At this time he is thoroughly confused. So he goes to the internet and looks it up and I'm right and he says "oh that's what I missed the 3600 secs in the formula" and then shows me a half page of numbers divided and multiplied with cancellations and 3600 sec for 1 hour. I tell you that because it think it's a symptom of a bigger problem in society. When it comes to simple math people are not good at it because what they teach in school is so disjointed from the real world. "Practical applications" most often are not. We are taught from an early to be mathematicians first and problem solvers second.

My point is this: We should teach our kids the easiest way to figure out problems. We are teaching them rigid and overly complicated ways to solve simple problems with specific formulas. The thing that makes me laugh is every newsletter I get from the school repeats the same tag line over and over.

"Education for Creative thinking and life long learning."

Kids don't enjoy or like math because we teach the long way of solving a simple problem. In my opinion every kids has enough knowledge to solve any PRACTICAL problem by 7th grade.

I don't know about anyone else* (*math teachers, we get it, you love math and dream at night about disproving E=mc^2) but could you solve a random CALC II problem 5 years out from the class? I couldn't. I'm still employed regardless of the fact I don't remember anything from CALC II so it's obviously not that important.

Why do we continue to shove algebra and other more complicated stuff dow kids throats and just continue to pass kids though the system when they won't be able to tell you what 7.5% of 200 is when they are 24? The fact that people pay for tip calculator app and that it has over 3 million downloads blows my friggen mind.
At least it is not literature!

Old 04-07-2015, 10:14 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,701 times
I am more inclined to wonder why they made us learn to spell ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM. LOL

I don't recall having to learn to spell FUSION. But my sister told me that a nun said to her that "science and religion don't mix".

God needs to stop those stars from using fusion.

Oh that's right. The nuns didn't teach us algebra even though we had the books.

psik

Old 04-07-2015, 10:21 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
I am more inclined to wonder why they made us learn to spell ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM. LOL

psik

LOL. No class made us spell that. We used it for the game where you try to make as many real words as you can from the letters.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:17 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
...But my sister told me that a nun said to her that "science and religion don't mix"...
I find that hard to believe - some of the most important scientists of all time have been Catholic; Jesuit priests are known for scientific achievement. The scientist who proposed the "Big Bang Theory" was a Catholic priest. In fact, the Catholic Church funds scientific research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education