U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 06:49 AM

4,130 posts, read 8,011,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
My post wasnt' directed at you, but I get what you are saying. I've just been saying (as a parent of kids educated in both poor schools and suburban schools) that there are pros and cons to everything. My daughter at the suburban school has plenty of resources that are quite dreamy. My son's school doesn't have as much, but he's no less educated than his sister. Plus I think he has a more "worldy" and calmer outlook than her...then again she's a fifteen year old girl...which is another thread.
The differences between the average school in the suburb are all the about the same with it's pro/con but there is a huge difference between a poor school district and well off school district that that in close proximity.

I can only give example of nearby district in my New Jersey area. Take a look at Haddonfield, Cherry Hill school district and compare it to Camden. Camden cost a lot more to operate yet they are way below average school. I use this example because OP asked about "poor school districts".
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 06:53 AM

2,643 posts, read 1,816,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
The differences between the average school in the suburb are all the about the same with it's pro/con but there is a huge difference between a poor school district and well off school district that that in close proximity.

I can only give example of nearby district in my New Jersey area. Take a look at Haddonfield, Cherry Hill school district and compare it to Camden. Camden cost a lot more to operate yet they are way below average school. I use this example because OP asked about "poor school districts".
Ok. Camden likely has a higher amount of special ed and social issues to pay for than Cherry Hill. My point is that the school is likely getting it done for those that are motivated with parents who are involved. So when I hear about poor school issues and how to solve them, I think we should be doing more for at risk kids rather than a one size fits all generalization. Don't even get me started on the "charterization" of Camden.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:21 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,067,491 times
Quote:
From what?
From bad influences
I went school where minorities and white are almost equal.
Some minorities' family sent to my community or move into the apartments so they won't get involved with gang bangers. Some of them end up causing trouble in the community.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Ok. Camden likely has a higher amount of special ed and social issues to pay for than Cherry Hill. My point is that the school is likely getting it done for those that are motivated with parents who are involved. So when I hear about poor school issues and how to solve them, I think we should be doing more for at risk kids rather than a one size fits all generalization. Don't even get me started on the "charterization" of Camden.
You are giving the school credit. It has nothing to do with the school. The kids that succeed in this environment do so because of them and the parents as you stated. Public school is always about tailoring to the group that are smack in the middle. The better school district with parents involvement provide additional resources for the top and bottom group. In a poor district, that isn't going to happen. The "at risk" is about 25% (suspension). Over 50% are failing language arts and 75% failing in math. Failing on test that they get to practice.

I went to a school similar to Camden so I have first hand experience with how school like those operates.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
From bad influences
I went school where minorities and white are almost equal.
Some minorities' family sent to my community or move into the apartments so they won't get involved with gang bangers. Some of them end up causing trouble in the community.
Ok. Not all poor schools and inner cities have gangs. But do you honestly believe that bad influence only exists in poor urban schools. As I stated before, there are days I feel like my daughter is surrounded by more bad influence (parent endorsed bad influence) than my son at the city school. Either way, both kids know to avoid that bad influence and one of them does it easily (city school kid) while other one (suburb kid) feels pressure for avoiding it.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:35 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,067,491 times
Quote:
Ok. Not all poor schools and inner cities have gangs. But do you honestly believe that bad influence only exists in poor urban schools. As I stated before, there are days I feel like my daughter is surrounded by more bad influence (parent endorsed bad influence) than my son at the city school. Either way, both kids know to avoid that bad influence and one of them does it easily (city school kid) while other one (suburb kid) feels pressure for avoiding it.
No my parents and parents from the hood and they made lives for themselves.
But some parent think that the city is the problem when it is their kid.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
No my parents and parents from the hood and they made lives for themselves.
But some parent think that the city is the problem when it is their kid.
Agreed.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:51 AM

35,215 posts, read 37,918,347 times
Quote:
Bahahah.

I have an ex who graduated from an exclusive East Coast college prep boarding school. The drugs (as well as kids who could afford lots of them) and entitlement/slap-on-the-wrist/grandparents pay a huge percentage of the endowment so no charges get pressed" mentality flowing around the place were not exactly great influences.

My middle-class, small town area growing up had a massive drinking and driving problem among teens. We were isolated, geographically, too small for public trans, and everywhere you went, you drove, typically a significant number of miles. Booze was at that point the drug of choice. The number of classmates of mine who didn't live till graduation, or if they did, didn't make it as far as college graduation, due to alcohol-related incidents, is rather obscene.

The idea that negative influences don't exist in socioeconomic groups outside of poverty populations is laughable. You raise your kids to be able to cope healthily with negative influences and peer pressure, because you're never in a million years going to be able to keep them in a bubble, untouched by them. No matter where you live.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:10 AM

14,131 posts, read 8,034,615 times
Anyone who believes that affluent schools are immune from criminal misconduct is hopelessly naive. It's there. It's always been there.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:23 AM

Don't know how the discussion turned into a debate of negative influence in the good versus bad school district (basically affluent vs poor neighborhood). The have and have not faces life issues.

The question is about the public EDUCATION between these districts. We are not talking about private school here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education