Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,083 times

Advertisements

I'm seeking input from others that may be in a similar situation.
Our kids are enrolled in a great private school. We, the parents, have jobs that allow us to be very flexible most of the time in our work. The teachers are the absolute greatest and welcome us to visit and participate as much as possible. We return the favor by inviting them to our home for fun and social events. It is becoming apparent that the owner of the school is overwhelmed. The owner insists on maintaining sole ownership (without a board of directors). The teachers are treated badly including several labor violations.
We recently held a social event where we invited the teachers to come over. Prior to our event, the teachers were called into a meeting with the school owner and given a warning about coming to our house and threatened with unknown consequences about whatever talked about. As a result of this meeting, we did not have a very big turn out. The only teachers to show up were ones that are not returning next year.

Do I pull my kids out of this great school or leave them in and not be social with the teachers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 02:24 PM

386 posts, read 605,801 times
Maybe it's because I didn't go to private school but I've never heard parents hold social events for teachers.......(and if it is truly a great private school, this should not be a factor)

Old 04-26-2015, 02:57 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbctong View Post
Maybe it's because I didn't go to private school but I've never heard parents hold social events for teachers.......(and if it is truly a great private school, this should not be a factor)
I also never heard of entertaining teachers in a parents home.

A question for the OP. Do other parents invite the teachers to their homes? If not, it sounds like you are trying to gain favors from the teachers. Perhaps the school head is just trying to curtail any question of favoritism. Perhaps he is also fearful of things going on behind his back.

I would leave my kids in the school, and play by the rules.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:19 PM

33 posts, read 50,561 times
I'm fine with not socializing with teachers outside of school, but some of the other things you mention sound like red flags.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:36 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
I've never heard of a private school owned by an individual, who operates it alone like that.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:48 PM

22,590 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Never heard of a single person owning a school or parents entertaining teachers in their home.
OP, where do you live?

Old 04-27-2015, 07:42 PM

386 posts, read 605,801 times
It's probably not a problem if it was an end of the school year thing where you have faculty/staff over to your house to thank them for the past academic year but if it's a frequent event, it has the appearance (though your intentions may be pure) that you're trying to bribe/win over the teachers for your kids. (That's probably what they were told in the meeting)

Old 04-27-2015, 07:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAO121330 View Post
I'm seeking input from others that may be in a similar situation.
Our kids are enrolled in a great private school. We, the parents, have jobs that allow us to be very flexible most of the time in our work. The teachers are the absolute greatest and welcome us to visit and participate as much as possible. We return the favor by inviting them to our home for fun and social events. It is becoming apparent that the owner of the school is overwhelmed. The owner insists on maintaining sole ownership (without a board of directors). The teachers are treated badly including several labor violations.

These are not the signs of a "great school." They are signs of a shady private venture with no oversight, where turning a profit is often the priority at the expense of quality education. Depressingly common among the new breed of "independent" schools. Teachers who are "the absolute greatest" will not continue to stick around in schools where they are not treated well, for the long term.

Quote:
We recently held a social event where we invited the teachers to come over. Prior to our event, the teachers were called into a meeting with the school owner and given a warning about coming to our house and threatened with unknown consequences about whatever talked about. As a result of this meeting, we did not have a very big turn out. The only teachers to show up were ones that are not returning next year.

Do I pull my kids out of this great school or leave them in and not be social with the teachers?
Overall, inviting teachers over for fun and social events is generally frowned upon, and also falls in a grey area of ethics for teachers, regardless of shady actions of shady administrators. Many programs have policies in place regarding the conflict of interest in socializing with parents/students outside of school.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I've never heard of a private school owned by an individual, who operates it alone like that.
They exist. They're typically privately owned by individuals as LLCs.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:41 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
This all sounds shady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education