Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 02:42 PM

675 posts, read 2,684,610 times

Advertisements

We have to register our daughter for August '08 K this week. We have the option of full or half day. My DD is on the older side (she will turn 6 in Nov), and will have had 2 years of preschool. She loves school, is bright and eager to learn, has a pretty good attention span, and doesn't nap. She would be in school 6 hours a day, insead of just under 3. It just seems like a long day. Are there any K teachers of parents out there who have any advice or experience with this? Thanks.,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 02:55 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
I'll take all day. My oldest did not have all day as it was not even offered but she was in a Gifted & Talented magnet school so all the kids were already "ahead" so they could get a lot done in 3 hours. In a regular kindergarten classroom the teachers spend so much time just guiding, answering unrelated questions, tying shoes, giving directions over, etc that 3 hours just does not seem like enough. When my youngest started (w/ a Nov birthday also) we put her in a school w/ all day (the district had started it by then). She also did not take naps much at all but let me tell you........ at school the teacher said she was the first to fall asleep and the last to wake up. I believe it really helped her being in school all day even though some of the day is taken up for lunch and nap time that a 1/2 day program would not have. She was exposed to a lot more instruction w/ the all day class. The teachers can plan more for them to do in class and get it done that they can not do in a 1/2 day setting.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:56 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,808,379 times
I would go the full day route. My daughter had 2 yrs preschool and went to half day K and was bored. She didn't do much more than she did in preschool...maybe less!

Old 01-18-2008, 03:03 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,957,930 times
Full day - no question. She'll love it and she'll be fine!

Old 01-18-2008, 03:45 PM

847 posts, read 3,520,291 times
Full day, it is time!!

Old 01-18-2008, 05:03 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
We have to register our daughter for August '08 K this week. We have the option of full or half day. My DD is on the older side (she will turn 6 in Nov), and will have had 2 years of preschool. She loves school, is bright and eager to learn, has a pretty good attention span, and doesn't nap. She would be in school 6 hours a day, insead of just under 3. It just seems like a long day. Are there any K teachers of parents out there who have any advice or experience with this? Thanks.,
Have experience with 6 out of 7 children going through all day kindergarten, with the oldest being almost 24 and the youngest (6) being in it right now. Our district changed the cut-off date for kindergarten readiness from September 30 to August 1. She missed the deadline by four days (as her birthday is August 5); thus started K at age 6 this year. All day kindergarten is absolutely fine; they all enjoyed it and our youngest loves her class and her teacher. P.S. - Our Catholic school (K-8) offered all-day kindergarten years before the public schools in our area did. Our public school district used to offer Kindergarten 2 1/2 days, meaning the kids went to school 2 full days and a half. Half the students went M & W all day, and half on F. The other half went T & Th. all day and half day Friday. They finally transitioned to all day kindergarten a few years ago.

Last edited by Donna7; 01-18-2008 at 05:21 PM..

Old 01-18-2008, 05:16 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,377,702 times
Our schools went to full day kindergarten in September. My daughter attended half day a few years ago, and I was worried my son would have a hard time with full day. He had an adjustment period the first few weeks. He fully expected it to be like pre-school and come home early. But he quickly got with the program and loves it. What I like is the kids get more time for music and art. Those are the first things cut out of the schedule when time counts. He seems to be doing so much more then my daughters class did as kindergarteners. As long as your little one can handle it, try all day.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:55 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Our oldest went to 1/2 day kindergarten as that is what was offered, our twins went to full day as they changed in between. I say FULL DAY. The kids are so much more ready for first grade. Most kindergarteners LOVE to be in school so they love the full day. They should give the high school seniors the 1/2 day schedule.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:52 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,958 times
As an educator I'd recommend full day. You will get some of your life back as well, and can always be a reading/writing coach, room mother or classroom aide if your schedule permits. Children that age love school, adapt easily and the teacher can do so much more with a whole day than tie shoes, line them up, sit them down etc. In our school district, the full day K's get art, music, PE and computer class as well, not provided to the students in the half day program.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:01 AM

603 posts, read 2,339,762 times
My daughter has a November birthday and started all-day kindergarten this past August. She loves it! However, it is not the kindergarten I remember. They do NOT take naps; she learns math, reading, writing, and vocabulary. Yesterday, she explained the Martin Luther King Jr holiday to me. The only thing I remember from my kindergarten experiences 30 years ago is playing in the sandbox and learning to tie my shoes. My daughter is reading books. Another thought: after years of preschool and daycare, my daughter actually thought a kindergarten day was shorter. Going all-day would also help her adjust to 1st grade better the next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education