Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 12:35 PM

31 posts, read 27,184 times

Advertisements

Is this how students should learn / how we should teach?

Click on the picture for more information.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this how students should learn / how we should teach?-engineering.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 12:56 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,445,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie1215 View Post
Is this how students should learn / how we should teach?

Click on the picture for more information.
Give an example on how this would work in say an English class learning how to write a proper paragraph....or a math class with kids learning how to solve algebraic equations....or a history class learning the history of WWII?

This is not the way we should teach. It IS however the way we should approach how we teach. As a former engineer turned teacher I'm convinced it we applied to engineering method to curriculum mapping we'd improve our system. One thing I'd LOVE to see done is testing that matters. Instead of state tests that students have no vested interest in, write a final exam for every year and subject that actually tests what should have been taught. In engineering you test the specifications you design to and you test all of them. There should be comprehensive exit exams for every grade and subject and they should be same for all schools. This would allow us to compare one school district to another. Our current testing is too hit or miss. For example only 6 of the 143 CCE's that are in my curriculum are actually on the test and those 6 are randomly chosen every year. Yet this test is used in part to determine the quality of my teaching. I might hit all six one year and miss them all another. I'd much rather they test everything I'm supposed to teach. Then they'd see that I teach most of those CCE's and that I teach them well. I'd also put the tests at the end of the year. My students take the test at the beginning of the second semester so I've only taught a little more than half of what I'm going to teach. Seems stupid to me to pick 6 of my CCE's and then tie my pay to whether my students knew them when you didn't even let me finish the year.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:53 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,609,070 times
I have to say I am sick of schools trying to force the kids to work in groups and to "discuss" everything.

Put a group of five kids together to solve a problem and we end up with 1 or 2 kids doing the whole thing and 2 or 3 learning nothing, contributing nothing and fooling the teacher into thinking everyone understood it.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:42 PM

31 posts, read 27,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I have to say I am sick of schools trying to force the kids to work in groups and to "discuss" everything.

Put a group of five kids together to solve a problem and we end up with 1 or 2 kids doing the whole thing and 2 or 3 learning nothing, contributing nothing and fooling the teacher into thinking everyone understood it.
That's what teachers are for, to make sure every student is participating. Won't a teacher eventually find out if the student didn't understand the material.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,376,669 times
If the teacher is assessing, the teacher will know who is understanding and who isn't, and address that.

Any teacher who is "fooled" into thinking students are learning when they're not isn't spending any time doing assessment, formal or informal.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:47 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,436,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie1215 View Post
Won't a teacher eventually find out if the student didn't understand the material.
You seriously cannot be this naive, can you?

Old 05-12-2015, 12:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,376,669 times
Teachers SHOULD be aware of whether or not students are grasping the material. "Eventually" shouldn't be part of the equation. No matter what your instructional and practice methods are, you need to check for comprehension.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:54 PM

367 posts, read 455,920 times
I think the diagram is excellent for its purpose: Engineering, or similar courses requiring critical thinking. If this is your intention, then great.

If you are showing this to my 4th grade daughter then I am not as receptive.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:20 PM

3,167 posts, read 3,987,318 times
Quote:

Seriously. I do a lot of group work in class, but it's only to keep people awake and give them some time to socialize. I know they aren't learning anything that way.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:06 PM

20,103 posts, read 16,066,640 times
Quote:

Got today that I agree - except they aren't fooling the teacher. The teacher knows that in any grouping, but especially mixed ability groupings, this us the way it works. Whether they will admit that or not is another story altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education