Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 11:21 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,534,057 times

Advertisements

I definitely agree with Oldhag1 about bringing back vocational ed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 01:32 AM

424 posts, read 379,509 times
1. Wayyyyy more federal and state funding
2. More flexibility for states and counties to set curriculum and teach to the needs of the students
3. Focus on labs/career preparation rather than standardized tests

Old 05-13-2015, 05:17 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,302,615 times
Get rid of most sports. Let the community handle sports.

More and more I'm seeing too many resources being diverted to the sports programs - like the football team getting new uniforms while the computer lab is still using Windows ME.

Even in college, it's horrible. My highest fee in college was the "sports and athletics" fee. And you still get charged to go to a game.

On top of that, star players tend to get special breaks and bonuses that the other students don't receive, and they tend to get less severe or even no punishments for breaking rules - especially if the punishment would interfere with a game or practice.

One last, but extremely important, part of my anti-athletics stance in the public school is this:

Image matters. The most important thing to a kid, especially teens, is being popular and being accepted by peers. The problem I see is that athletics receives so much attention that most kids think they have to be athletes to receive any fame and recognition - to be almost universally accepted and liked.

Smart kids, those who do well academically, are almost unilaterally depicted in the media - movies, television, even books - as being physically weak, socially awkward, bad dressers, a victim of bullies, the kid who sits alone at lunch, the kid who is only "liked" when a popular kid needs help with homework.

What kid wants to emulate someone like that?

Society as a whole needs to start adoring intelligence and academic prowess at least as much as they adore athletes. Those nations who kick the crap out of American kids academically come from nations where intelligence and academics are valued and prized far more than how fast someone can run or how far they can throw a ball.

Unless we start showing kids that there is no shame in being smart, no shame in doing well in school, and to give the brainiacs among us the same kind of idolization we give to football players, things will continue to deteriorate.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:30 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,400,277 times
Id up the maximum class size to University style. It sounds like a bad idea at first because were taught that smaller class sizes improve results, even though one could argue our current "results" are awful. Doing this would allow tuition to be cheaper per student and for teachers to be paid more. Tuition being cheaper means more families could afford private schooling. More families affording private schooling means less strain on the public schooling system.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:51 AM

20,103 posts, read 16,051,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Id up the maximum class size to University style. It sounds like a bad idea at first because were taught that smaller class sizes improve results, even though one could argue our current "results" are awful. Doing this would allow tuition to be cheaper per student and for teachers to be paid more. Tuition being cheaper means more families could afford private schooling. More families affording private schooling means less strain on the public schooling system.
Let me make sure I understand what you are proposing..... Kindergarten, 8th grade, and everything in between 100+ kids per class? Sure lets do this, I'm signing you up to teach either 1st grade or 5th or 8th. Do it 3 days, then we can discuss why this might be the single worst suggestion I have ever read. Ever. Only thing better would be if we forgo hiring teachers to lead these massive classes and allowed the kids to lead the classes ala "Lord of the Flies" style.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:56 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,554,909 times
Very good suggestions. I would add enforce the learning environment in the classroom. Fail children that can't keep up and enforce discipline in school - this would be my #1 beef with my kids schools.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:11 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,400,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Let me make sure I understand what you are proposing..... Kindergarten, 8th grade, and everything in between 100+ kids per class? Sure lets do this, I'm signing you up to teach either 1st grade or 5th or 8th. Do it 3 days, then we can discuss why this might be the single worst suggestion I have ever read. Ever. Only thing better would be if we forgo hiring teachers to lead these massive classes and allowed the kids to lead the classes ala "Lord of the Flies" style.
You could scale it. Kindergarden isnt that expensive at most schools anyways so the cost element isnt enough to need to increase to 100 kids per teacher, the 15 or so is fine. However "Middle school and up" Private schools in my area cost more than University educations....By 7th grade a student should be able to sit in an auditorium and listen to a lecture.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:23 AM

13,250 posts, read 33,396,616 times
Quote:
I have to agree with Oldhag on this one, I believe this has to be up there with the top ten worst ideas on this forum. The objective for educating our children is not to make them sit still for hours on end to save some money. Our goal is to teach students to love to learn and give them information they can use in their future. That's not going to be done by sitting on their butts all day. All of my kids chose small private colleges because they never wanted to be in that situation. We moved to where we are for the great schools. They didn't go to private schools because there was no need to do that. If your public schools are good, the private schools are not as important.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:27 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,283,512 times
Quote:
You could scale it. Kindergarden isnt that expensive at most schools anyways so the cost element isnt enough to need to increase to 100 kids per teacher, the 15 or so is fine. However "Middle school and up" Private schools in my area cost more than University educations....By 7th grade a student should be able to sit in an auditorium and listen to a lecture.
Only if they were used to sitting and listening in grades 1 through 6.

You need to get out in the real world. Unless you are talking about superachievers whose parents constantly drill them to succeed and monitor their progress, these 12-13 year olds will at best just sit there quietly thinking about their Xbox game. And many will be disruptive ( often quietly disruptive - whispering, poking other kids, giggling, making faces etc) They still need to be individually engaged and monitored. Which is still very hard when you have 30 kids per teacher.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:59 AM

20,103 posts, read 16,051,215 times
Quote:
Clearly you don't understand school financing. The biggest ticket item is personnel. Currently the the biggest bang for the buck in most school systems is middle school - no mandated small classes like elementary, no mandated or specialized classes that might result in tiny classes like high school. In most school systems the only classes more expensive per student than kindergarten is special ed, because of class size and/or teacher's aides mandates.

Just FYI, once a class exceeds a certain threshold by age, concern about whether they are learning gets quickly replaced by concern for the physical safety of students. The younger the child, the sooner that threshold is reached.

Perhaps you should recommend to those expensive private schools that they teach university style, as a private school they are not bound by state mandated class size caps. I am sure parents will line up to enroll their 8th grader in a school with 100+ students per class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education