U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 10:34 PM

85,021 posts, read 98,892,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
identify college bound students in 6th or 7th grade, teach 8-12th grade in 8, 9, and 10th grade. Send them off to college. Eliminate off-major required course work so students graduate in 3 years and extend masters to 2 years.

Students get to hit the work force younger and can go back and get a masters if they desire.
In addition to my issues with choosing a lifetime course for kids as young as 11, what is the advantage of getting in the work force younger? You have to work until age 67 as it is to collect full SS. That's a lot of years of working ahead.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 07:27 AM

579 posts, read 431,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
identify college bound students in 6th or 7th grade, teach 8-12th grade in 8, 9, and 10th grade. Send them off to college. Eliminate off-major required course work so students graduate in 3 years and extend masters to 2 years.

Students get to hit the work force younger and can go back and get a masters if they desire.
Screen too early and you will run into issues... especially if the screening is low quality to begin with. There's also the very real possibility that college-bound kids so screened burn out in high school.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:54 AM

10,577 posts, read 6,838,298 times
One modest change: when measurements are involved, I'd put a focus on the metric system.

I know this gets some people all bent out of shape, but the metric system is more efficient than the imperial system. The fact that the rest of the world uses it makes it the global standard, and simply accentuates the inefficiency of using the imperial system. Oh, rest assured, I'd have both taught so that proficiency in both is achieved. That would allow effective communication between those not stuck in the past and those who obstinately refuse to learn something that everyone should know. Then, after a couple generations, the use of the imperial system in education could be dropped.

Will this happen? Sadly, the usual combination of laziness and xenophobia suggests that it will not.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:27 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,119,323 times
I did not read through every post, but I wanted to give my opinion so if any of this is a repeat that's why.

1. Eliminate standardized testing. Everybody learns differently and some don't test well.

2.Teach towards each students learning style. Group the "hands-on" learners together and keep them separate from the "book" learners. No that either way is right or wrong, but a teacher can't teach to everybody when a class is a mixed learning style.

3. Eliminate the three month summer break and shorten it to six weeks. My sister is a fourth grade teacher and she has told me she spends the first three months of the year reviewing last year. The younger a student is the longer three months is.

4. The US, as a society must promote learning as a society. We do not take education near as serious as other countries do.

5. Stop funding school districts based on property taxes. This is a big problem in PA where I live. Rich neighborhoods have higher property taxes so the wealthy school districts are better funded. Put all the property tax money into a general fund and distribute it EVENLY amongst the schools in the state.

6. Do away with No Child Left Behind, (and all the other George Bush policies),.

7. PARENTS, STOP PUTTING SO MUCH DAMN EMPHASIS ON SPORTS ALREADY!!! Your child is in school to LEARN! The odds are he or she will never make a dime playing sports

8. Make higher education more affordable

9. This is a repeat but I totally agree with it. Stop forcing everybody down a degree path.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:01 AM

35,821 posts, read 39,419,773 times
While I think it's common sense that athletics and any other extracurriculars shouldn't become so inflated in perceived importance that they supercede academics, I think that the attitude that enrichment in the form of extracurriculars is only valid if the child foresees monetizing it in the future is patently ridiculous.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:04 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,937,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
While I think it's common sense that athletics and any other extracurriculars shouldn't become so inflated in perceived importance that they supercede academics, I think that the attitude that enrichment in the form of extracurriculars is only valid if the child foresees monetizing it in the future is patently ridiculous.
Extracurricular activity is a major factor in some Title 1 schools.
It's an incentive to keep a passing grade (at least until the season ends) and also to stay in school.
And coaches take up many an academic class to teach.

I see it all too often in the rural schools I work in.
Once the sport season is over you see the failures increase.
Teachers are sometimes hired based on the sport they can coach.

There's one district where the middle school is overlap for the HS coaches.
They teach core classes at the middle school but identify themselves as HS coaches.

They have 6-7-8 grade Math taught by HS coaches. The Math scores dropped big time.
So they hired a "Math consultant" to figure out what was happening and to offer suggestions.
The obvious was not spoken, nor suggested.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:18 AM

2,739 posts, read 4,077,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie1215 View Post
What changes would you make if you could?
Crack down on bullying

Make standardized testing optional

More transparency far as career options and future salaries. Make all colleges provide detailed info about their alumni placement.

More vocational training in high schools

Eliminate all the crazy higher math requirements for people that will never never need to use cosines and tangents or wave theory.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:34 PM

3,942 posts, read 3,880,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie1215 View Post
What changes would you make if you could?
Have faculty read Pedagogy of the Oppresed by Palo Friere. Install a bottom to top model or inverted triangle, where the power resides within the students, and teach within the paradigm of a student-focused approach where teachers are there to guide not tell students what to think but encourage questioning, freedom of expression, inquiry, discovery.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-01-2015 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: removed copyrighted graphic.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:29 AM

38 posts, read 26,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Then we'd have a HUGE uneducated population.
but that is what we have already.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:38 AM

32 posts, read 20,153 times
First of all I would cancel the common core...I am sure that it is an evil of our educational system. Our children should be able to think wider than putting a cross.
Then, of course, I would cancel all "tolerance" lessons, because it is not about tolerance in fact - it is open propaganda of homosexuality.
I would pay more attention to maths and literature lessons and create some special program that help talented children to "develop" themselves even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or