U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 07:29 AM

83 posts, read 65,533 times

Advertisements

Students may gain knowledge from online education or some institution and put take a practical approach which could be more effective.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 09:23 PM

25,393 posts, read 29,702,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Start the school day later. Studies show that children perform better when they wake up after the sun has risen and after they've had some time "jump starting" their motor skills by participating in a non-formal activity prior to school.
I have no idea why they continue to choose to ignore the research when kids should wake. Research has concluded that kids do better if they start their day later yet we still send them to the bus stop before the sun comes up.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:30 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,589,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I have no idea why they continue to choose to ignore the research when kids should wake. Research has concluded that kids do better if they start their day later yet we still send them to the bus stop before the sun comes up.
I disagree I work better in the morning then in the afternoons and nights. I used to trade stocks and I like getting my work done as soon as possible so I can enjoy the rest of the day. At my HS I was the star running back in football and i hardly did any work and got straight A's and special treatment, I don't know if thats typical of most public US High Schools thou.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I disagree I work better in the morning then in the afternoons and nights. I used to trade stocks and I like getting my work done as soon as possible so I can enjoy the rest of the day. At my HS I was the star running back in football and i hardly did any work and got straight A's and special treatment, I don't know if thats typical of most public US High Schools thou.
You disagree with RESEARCH because YOU like to get up early? Do you think everyone else is just like you? I can tell you from experience that my students aren't awake in first and second hours. They're just not. But what's different than my statement from yours is research backs up mine. While individual mileage may vary research finds that students do better in school if they start later in the day.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:22 PM

18 posts, read 16,317 times
As much as I want to change it, I realized no change will happen mainly because the purpose of the education system is to create dumbed down debt slaves. They teach you very little of actual value in school. The only useful skills they teach you in school is how to read, write, do basic math (adding, multiplication, subtraction, division etc), and type on a computer. Other than that, everything else they teach you in school is mostly worthless. For example, who cares about algebra or calculus? Totally worthless to most people unless they are really interested in math. I personally hate math.

The only math I remember from school is adding, subtraction, multiplication, division, exponents and some other basic math skills.

Anyways back to the main topic of this post. School is really designed to make you into a dumbed-down wage slave. The schooling system is designed to maximize obedience and conformity. And kill all creativity and critical thinking skills. If you want to become successful in life, you need to achieve that in spite of school rather than because of it. It is a common misconception that:

Doing well in school (getting good grades in school) = Success in life

I actually believe people that have good grades either

1) Cheat at school
2) They are going good at cramming large amounts of information in their heads for short-periods of time.

tl;dr

The schooling system is virtually useless for developing critical thinking and creative individuals. The schooling system was designed to make people into obedient and conformist wage slaves.

I say dropping out of school the moment you mastered basic reading, writing, math and computer skills. That's all you need to survive in this world.

I think school sucks. I always hated school. But I like learning things at my own pace.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaNerdBot View Post
As much as I want to change it, I realized no change will happen mainly because the purpose of the education system is to create dumbed down debt slaves. They teach you very little of actual value in school. The only useful skills they teach you in school is how to read, write, do basic math (adding, multiplication, subtraction, division etc), and type on a computer. Other than that, everything else they teach you in school is mostly worthless. For example, who cares about algebra or calculus? Totally worthless to most people unless they are really interested in math. I personally hate math.

The only math I remember from school is adding, subtraction, multiplication, division, exponents and some other basic math skills.

Anyways back to the main topic of this post. School is really designed to make you into a dumbed-down wage slave. The schooling system is designed to maximize obedience and conformity. And kill all creativity and critical thinking skills. If you want to become successful in life, you need to achieve that in spite of school rather than because of it. It is a common misconception that:

Doing well in school (getting good grades in school) = Success in life

I actually believe people that have good grades either

1) Cheat at school
2) They are going good at cramming large amounts of information in their heads for short-periods of time.

tl;dr

The schooling system is virtually useless for developing critical thinking and creative individuals. The schooling system was designed to make people into obedient and conformist wage slaves.

I say dropping out of school the moment you mastered basic reading, writing, math and computer skills. That's all you need to survive in this world.

I think school sucks. I always hated school. But I like learning things at my own pace.
Re: Bolded text

Unfortunately, this is my observation as a high school teacher. Cheating is rampant among students with high GPA's and if I ask them a question that was on the test a week later they look at me like we never learned the material.

We really need high stakes exit exams for every grade/class. If you don't know it by the end of the year you don't pass. That will take care of both the cheaters and the crammers.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:30 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,122,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
You're willing to throw out 47 independent studies completed around the world because you're an extreme outlier? How do you justify that?

Old 08-29-2015, 08:09 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,881,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Re: Bolded text

Unfortunately, this is my observation as a high school teacher. Cheating is rampant among students with high GPA's and if I ask them a question that was on the test a week later they look at me like we never learned the material.

We really need high stakes exit exams for every grade/class. If you don't know it by the end of the year you don't pass. That will take care of both the cheaters and the crammers.
We have this test called SAT. It's national. And as scores declined over the years the test got recalibrated to produce those higher scores once again.

We also have age restrictions on lower grade levels. Even if they don't know it after being retained multiple times they "age out" and must be passed on.

This is especially true in middle school where once they hit 15 going on 16 they must be promoted (maybe not in all states).
That means if they are left back twice during K-5 they will not be left back in middle school.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We have this test called SAT. It's national. And as scores declined over the years the test got recalibrated to produce those higher scores once again.

We also have age restrictions on lower grade levels. Even if they don't know it after being retained multiple times they "age out" and must be passed on.

This is especially true in middle school where once they hit 15 going on 16 they must be promoted (maybe not in all states).
That means if they are left back twice during K-5 they will not be left back in middle school.

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about exit exams for each class/grade/subject. I'm talking about common final exams for each class type and if you don't pass the test you don't pass the class. If you write a good test that truly tests what should have been learned in a class and then require students to pass that test in order to pass the class you will have a good measure of what students are actually learning and you will be able to determine if they learned enough to move on. There should be two grades on the student transcript. Their grade in the class and their score on the exit exam for THAT class.

If you write a good test intended to be used as the final exam you will force schools to align to the curriculum (as things are now they tell us the standards but it really doesn't matter if I really teach them or not because they're never actually tested. They will put 6 random questions from my content on the test and call my content tested. ). I'm talking about a test that tests all 143 of the standards I'm supposed to teach taken at the end of the year in my class. I'm talking about a test taken by every student who takes a certain class at the same time at the end of the year to prove they actually learned the content before they are allowed to move on.

The SAT is after the fact. It's too late to do anything to fix what students have not learned. I'm talking about tests that determine whether a student is ready to go on to the next grade or not.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:58 AM

15,287 posts, read 16,833,735 times
The high school my kids went to in the late 1980s had departmental finals. I think my granddaughter's jr. high has departmental finals as well. So all students in US History take the same final exam (although it is a different exam for preAP and regulars). However, I am not sure they have to pass the exam to pass the class - it is 60% of their grade, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or