U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 04:36 PM

4,775 posts, read 5,912,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I'm class of '68 and much the same. More math, more science and a foreign language for a Regents degree.

More than that, all through 1 - 12 we sat at desks in rows facing the teacher, of which there was only 1. No teacher aides, no teacher assistants running around the classroom. Eyes on the teacher, no talking unless the teacher calls on you when you put your hand up. No leaving the classroom.

When I see school stuff on TV news today (which is everyday, even though it's not news, and was never on the news until 10 years ago), its like looking at a party. Kids sitting around tables doodling, TA's talking to one or two then another one or two, the teacher here there and everywhere. Everyone talking, standing up, gesticulating.

How can anyone, kids or staff, focus or even know what the hell is going on? It doesn't look serious and I wonder if kids realize it is or is supposed to be. Some might but do all? Class and playground, what's the difference?
Class of '73 here. Definitely agree with the items in bold. I also remember two classes where the teacher asked a question, called on someone, and that person had to stand up, repeat the question, and answer it exactly. Only if you answered the question correctly did you get to sit down. An incorrect response got another question. You studied for class so that you wouldn't be embarrassed. The two classes were 7th grade geography and 8th grade science. The two teachers were old school and this type of teaching was probably being phased out by the late 1960s.

Regarding leaving the room, students rarely left the room to go to the restroom. I can say with 100% certainty that no students asked to go to the restroom or to get a drink of water the entire year in the two classes I mentioned above.

Any time you see a classroom on TV you should assume it is not reality. Students and teachers will act differently when a camera is filming or even when someone is observing a class.

Regarding classroom aides, para-educators, teaching assistants or whatever you want to call them, I have found they are the best bargain in education. The majority of aides I have worked with are dedicated and work extremely hard to help kids who are struggling. There are many students who would not graduate from high school without aides and learning support teachers working with them on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or