U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 04:50 PM

84,977 posts, read 98,832,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I know what our district offers. NOTHING like what yours does. I think you should realize people from all over the world are posting so answers will vary wildly.
I'm not ignorant of that, Magritte! I'm saying check. Here's a list of PE courses from a district in a depressed part of PA, where kids from my parents' home go to school:

Conditioning I
Beginning Dance
Advanced Dance
Intro to Swimming
Beginning Swimming
Intermediate Swimming
Advanced Swimming
Individual Fitness and Conditioning
Senior Lifeguarding
Recreational Swimming
Adaptive PE
and regular Girls' and Boys' PE
http://www.bviu.org/cms/lib03/PA2700...-2014%20HS.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 05:30 PM

27,993 posts, read 19,657,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I'm not ignorant of that, Magritte! I'm saying check. Here's a list of PE courses from a district in a depressed part of PA, where kids from my parents' home go to school:

Conditioning I
Beginning Dance
Advanced Dance
Intro to Swimming
Beginning Swimming
Intermediate Swimming
Advanced Swimming
Individual Fitness and Conditioning
Senior Lifeguarding
Recreational Swimming
Adaptive PE
and regular Girls' and Boys' PE
http://www.bviu.org/cms/lib03/PA2700...-2014%20HS.pdf

With all due respect our schools have nothing like that. I am in Northeastern PA.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:29 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,022,976 times
Get rid of the federal Department of Education. That would free up about 60 billion dollars a year. Ever since they have been involved in education the average level of achievement by U.S. students has gone down. Now they are forcing common core on us...I know the meme that it isn't the federal government nor the department of education behind common core, it is a group of state governors...right...do a little non-cursory research and you will see common core is the baby of the feds and they have used a variety of carrot on the stick funding measures to ram it through. We should quit rewarding failure, and failure is one of the very few things the federal department of education can consistently deliver on...

Old 05-14-2015, 09:30 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,642,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
With all due respect our schools have nothing like that. I am in Northeastern PA.
Our schools offer gym as the choice.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:42 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,657,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Our schools offer gym as the choice.
Can you clarify?

Are you saying run of the mill gym class is the only choice in your district?

Old 05-15-2015, 09:55 AM

2,724 posts, read 2,866,050 times
Convince all children and parents that education is important and show them what good education looks like. Basically we need to treat education like a product and the children and their parents are the customers. Right now we have a lot of uninformed customers. Once the customers are informed, they will demand change when they see they are getting an inferior product.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:25 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,220,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Convince all children and parents that education is important and show them what good education looks like. Basically we need to treat education like a product and the children and their parents are the customers. Right now we have a lot of uninformed customers. Once the customers are informed, they will demand change when they see they are getting an inferior product.
Actually, I think the educators need this more than the parents and children.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:38 AM

6,461 posts, read 6,101,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
1. Return to tracking.
2. Get rid of the vast majority the standardized testing and all the test prep.
3. Move disruptive kids out of the regular classroom/schools quicker - disability or no disability.
4. Put the ownership for failing back on the student and parent, it is not just the responsibility of the teacher.
5. Bring back meaningful vocational ed.
Yes, this. I would also return early childhood education to it's original intent, getting children ready for formal education. Kids today need more work on social skills, learning through play etc... Universal public Pk for everyone.

I would have alternative learning centers for disruptive students to attend. When they can control themselves, they can return to the regular campus.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:47 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,134,030 times
There are fabulous ideas on this thread. The best ones will take a lot of money. Hiring specialized, well paid teachers. Investing in arts, music, physical education. Create separate schools for different career paths, etc.

So now all we have to do is find all of the money we are going to use to do all this. Options: print more money, and send us into inflation, try to increase taxes on the rich and then cry when for some reason that doesn't actually bring in more money (according to historical statistics), take the money away from the welfare and food stamp program, take the money away from the healthcare program, take the money away from the soldiers and veterans, or steal from peoples 401ks.

The only idea on this thread that said a thing about saving money in one area so that you could spend it elsewhere was jumped on as being a horrible idea. It WAS a horrible idea.

BUT. What is wrong with our educational program is that everybody who is involved in making educational decisions is able to come up with very expensive ideas, but nobody is able to come up with ways to improve things WITHOUT SPENDING MORE MONEY.

Perhaps the reason Canada is doing so much better than us is because they are not an extraordinarily rich country, and are used to try to figure out how to improve things without spending more money. Here in the US, we are so quick to just throw money at all of our problems, because until now, that's what we had a lot of. Well, it's gone now.

Education is not going to improve in this country until people figure out how to be frugal, and quit thinking that the answer to all their problems is "well if the government could just give us more money...".

Old 05-15-2015, 12:00 PM

84,977 posts, read 98,832,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
There are fabulous ideas on this thread. The best ones will take a lot of money. Hiring specialized, well paid teachers. Investing in arts, music, physical education. Create separate schools for different career paths, etc.

So now all we have to do is find all of the money we are going to use to do all this. Options: print more money, and send us into inflation, try to increase taxes on the rich and then cry when for some reason that doesn't actually bring in more money (according to historical statistics), take the money away from the welfare and food stamp program, take the money away from the healthcare program, take the money away from the soldiers and veterans, or steal from peoples 401ks.

The only idea on this thread that said a thing about saving money in one area so that you could spend it elsewhere was jumped on as being a horrible idea. It WAS a horrible idea.

BUT. What is wrong with our educational program is that everybody who is involved in making educational decisions is able to come up with very expensive ideas, but nobody is able to come up with ways to improve things WITHOUT SPENDING MORE MONEY.

Perhaps the reason Canada is doing so much better than us is because they are not an extraordinarily rich country, and are used to try to figure out how to improve things without spending more money. Here in the US, we are so quick to just throw money at all of our problems, because until now, that's what we had a lot of. Well, it's gone now.

Education is not going to improve in this country until people figure out how to be frugal, and quit thinking that the answer to all their problems is "well if the government could just give us more money...".
IS Canada really doing so much better than us? The ranking was just based on math and science, and the metrics were not in the article. Is there a huge difference between #10 (Canada) and #28 (US)? The US has a comment (joint) and what that means was not explained.

Just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or