Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2015, 10:19 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times

Advertisements

I agree that exit exams can raise achievement. There is research to suggest that this is so.

A Steeper, Better Road to Graduation - Education Next : Education Next

Quote:
The data show that curriculum-based exams are associated with neither higher teacher-pupil ratios nor greater spending on K-12 education. They are, however, associated with higher standards for entry into the teaching profession, higher teacher salaries (30 to 34 percent higher for secondary-school teachers), and teachers who are more likely to specialize in one subject in middle school and to have majored in the subjects they teach. Teachers appear to be less satisfied with their jobs, possibly due to the increased pressure for accountability under an exam system. Schools, countries, and provinces with rigorous exams devote more hours to math and science instruction, and they build and equip better science labs. The number of computers and library books per student is unaffected by the existence of curriculum-based exams.
Minimum Competency exams do not produce the same results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 11:05 AM

74 posts, read 103,107 times
I guess having a wider variety of classes with emphasis on the ones that give good jobs. I graduated highschool without knowing anything about engineering or computer science and apparently, that's where the jobs/money is right now.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:35 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
1. Go to cloud computing for the entire national school system
2. One or two techs at district level
3. Techs in school
4. Rotate administrators back to classroom every 5 years
5. Require every administrator to take a three year course in macro and micro economics
6. Require every administrator to spend a two year practicum in a successful for profit business
7. Rigid tracking by ability and conduct
8. Achievement "gates" every two years
9. Promotion based on achievement, and if a gate is not passed, then out of school system to varying levels of menial track
10. Zero tolerance for any disruption in the classroom
11. Make principal responsible for both ranking/grading teachers and paying teachers
12. Eliminate most district personal and dramatically reduce state dept of education
13. Provide each student a computer and if required internet access (money coming from huge savings in reduction of district and state personnel)
14. For problem children, before they are mustered out, a sixmonth "after hours course" with parent as final chance to remain in education system
15. One 100 question test, per grade, all subjects. One.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:51 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
And how much of their salaries went towards paying their tuition? How many students would have said no to the events if it meant saving money? Students should go to school to learn and work, not for recreation. Recreation is a free time activity.

I don't know about you, but when I went to uni I was expected to pay for all of my textbooks on top of my tuition. And textbooks/computers for the poor could be covered by grants, scholarships, or even loans. I can guarantee that such loans would be much smaller and less predatory than tuition loans.
Rec center used by the local community too. Even my junior college has a small gym.Textbooks are somewhat ripped off because sometimes you are paying that you barely use and I paid 96 dollars for a vocab book.The event were free and fun for people didn't want get drunk. A job is better than no job at all.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:19 PM

6,813 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
What an opportunity but I'll limit to just my top three, not in any particular order.

c. Change teacher education to require a BS/BA in a specific subject first and then add on a set of education courses rather than education being the centerpiece with a smattering of subject matter around it. IE reverse the focus. I know that may offend some, but here's the carrot -- now that they are taking the subject matter expert type courses, pay them a competitive salary compared to what a professional in that field with that education and experience will make. IE, if a person with a BS in physics can make $X in the commercial sector, the pay them $X to teach. Makes it more financially viable for someone to teach vs industry.
Actually, many states do require this - my state does.

My revisions would include:
1. the legislature should not be making decisions it knows nothing about in education. Politics should not be governing decisions made about our kids' schooling.
2. Teachers should be allowed to teach to their passions and not only a set of standards - standardization has gone way too far, removing the fun and passion out of education.
3. Reduce standardized testing to no more than 2 half-days per year for any student and quit tying school/staff evaluations to stupid tests.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:34 PM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
1. Kill the teacher's union
2. Take the liberal agenda of the current education system and smash it
3. Ensure teacher's have an understanding of the subject matter (in many cases, my teachers did not)
4. Encourage more males in education
5. Increase pay for teachers to get more qualified teachers
6. Lay off 90% of the administrative staff
7. Maintain testing to improve standards
8. Encourage speakers with diverse backgrounds and jobs to speak to students
9, Increase physical education including such things as yoga
10. Ensure only healthy foods are available to students at school.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:36 PM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
1. Go to cloud computing for the entire national school system
2. One or two techs at district level
3. Techs in school
4. Rotate administrators back to classroom every 5 years
5. Require every administrator to take a three year course in macro and micro economics
6. Require every administrator to spend a two year practicum in a successful for profit business
7. Rigid tracking by ability and conduct
8. Achievement "gates" every two years
9. Promotion based on achievement, and if a gate is not passed, then out of school system to varying levels of menial track
10. Zero tolerance for any disruption in the classroom
11. Make principal responsible for both ranking/grading teachers and paying teachers
12. Eliminate most district personal and dramatically reduce state dept of education
13. Provide each student a computer and if required internet access (money coming from huge savings in reduction of district and state personnel)
14. For problem children, before they are mustered out, a sixmonth "after hours course" with parent as final chance to remain in education system
15. One 100 question test, per grade, all subjects. One.
Excellent ideas!!

Old 05-16-2015, 03:40 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Rec center used by the local community too. Even my junior college has a small gym.Textbooks are somewhat ripped off because sometimes you are paying that you barely use and I paid 96 dollars for a vocab book.The event were free and fun for people didn't want get drunk. A job is better than no job at all.
That's great that it's being used but I don't know how that relates to who should have to pay for it. It sounds like the community used the college to save themselves some money.

And yes a job is better than no job, but the rec center isn't giving every kid who goes to college a job, it isn't helping their education, and it isn't making their education any more affordable.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:11 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
That's great that it's being used but I don't know how that relates to who should have to pay for it. It sounds like the community used the college to save themselves some money.

And yes a job is better than no job, but the rec center isn't giving every kid who goes to college a job, it isn't helping their education, and it isn't making their education any more affordable.
Community college will help save people money even if it just summer classes.
Some people are just not making smart financial decisions.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:16 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie1215 View Post
What changes would you make if you could?

let the parent pay for it, out of pocket ,without tax money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education