Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 07:06 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times

Advertisements

Said it in another thread...

But I want to fine the parents for their kids' school results...
$10 for failing to turn in an assignment, $5 if it is incomplete/late, $50 for missing a day of school (without a valid reason), $100 for failing a class (outside of valid reasons like illness/what other reasons are there for failing?, sure you could claim a "bad" teacher, but that's rarer than poor parenting to me)

Figured if parents won't help teach their own kids, might as well get them to invest in them by encouragement at home or fine them for lack of it. To me, it's neglect to ignore their kid's education or not support/encourage them in it. I get some parents can't help with homework subject, but I'm not asking that, just that they encourage them to study/do homework before going out to play games/with friends and hold them accountable when they don't.

I don't see how you can just change the "schools" and expect the kids to do better when nothing else changes... school can't override what is or isn't done at home...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 09:03 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,410,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Said it in another thread...

But I want to fine the parents for their kids' school results...
$10 for failing to turn in an assignment, $5 if it is incomplete/late, $50 for missing a day of school (without a valid reason), $100 for failing a class (outside of valid reasons like illness/what other reasons are there for failing?, sure you could claim a "bad" teacher, but that's rarer than poor parenting to me)
Yeah, the purpose of school is to brainwash kids into following orders even when they are STUPID.

I got straight Ds in religion for not doing assignments. I got straight A's in math though a lot of times I didn't do those assignments either.

psik

Old 08-09-2015, 09:25 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
so you really meant that if you tried, you could have gotten As in religion as well but choose not to put in the effort?

Old 08-09-2015, 01:30 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,197,482 times
I would have a National audit of every single child in special Ed. It would be led by an independent board of teachers, administrators, and child psychologists evaluate each child's folder because IMO 70% of kids in special Ed don't belong there. Most are simply academically delayed(6th grade reading at 3rd grade level/5th grade with second grade vocabulary etc), but they do not have a learning disability.

Think of it like college remedial classes, those people don't have a learning disability. They simply are behind and they need to be brought up to speed

Old 08-11-2015, 08:32 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,232,760 times
Fail more students. A lot of the problem from K all the way through college is that we're afraid to uphold standards and fail too many.

Sometimes a spade has to be called a spade. If you can't hack the big-time, you go to a lower track until you can prove you can hack the big-time again.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:47 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Fail more students. A lot of the problem from K all the way through college is that we're afraid to uphold standards and fail too many.

Sometimes a spade has to be called a spade. If you can't hack the big-time, you go to a lower track until you can prove you can hack the big-time again.
Unfortunately this is not PC. I agree. I see kids in high school who can't do simple math or read. They should not get that far without these issues being addressed.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:37 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,996,819 times
1. Have army/marine drill sergeants teach pre-school through 6th grade. Not kidding.
2. Mandatory K-12 parent or guardian/teacher meeting attendance twice a year or kid can't go on to the next grade. Flexible scheduling.
3. Three weeks summer vacation until high school when students may want to work.
4. You can't graduate high school unless you can pass a US citizenship test in English and that will be changed annually.
5. You can't be hired as a teacher unless you can pass a citizenship test.
6. If you drop out of school, you forego any claim for welfare-type benefits for the rest of your life unless you return to school and get a GED to make you employable.
7. If you can't speak English you will be immersed in English language training and will not attend regular school classes until you demonstrate a proficiency in English.
8. No college freshman remedial classes. If you can't pass an entry exam to get into college (as determined by that college), you have to go back to high school on the taxpayer's dime until you can pass it or apply to another college with lower standards that will admit you. That includes the scholarship kids. This will prevent grade inflation, graduating high school students who can't read or do math. When the taxpayers complain, it will be the only way schools will improve to make kids ready for jobs and the real world.
9. Mandatory testing before hiring for high school and junior high school teachers in their subject.
10. Mandatory class(es) in living responsibly in the real world including things like bill paying, budgeting, food shopping trip to supermarket, credit cards, utilities, car/home purchasing, renting, job hunting, having/raising children to be taught by someone qualified to teach it.
11. More essay tests, less multiple choice tests (does not include math). More pros and cons type report writing.
12. Art, music and gym in all schools.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:53 AM

396 posts, read 409,618 times
Tracking.

For all the polemics on the subject, the modern American education system is inadequate in the 21st century world.

I am not saying tracking is perfect. I am well aware of the criticisms that dog European methods of tracking and vocational preparation, but there are a great many benefits that seem more consistent with the demands of the modern day. My family back in Europe loves it, even those who fell into the abyss that is Hauptschule.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:53 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I would have a National audit of every single child in special Ed. It would be led by an independent board of teachers, administrators, and child psychologists evaluate each child's folder because IMO 70% of kids in special Ed don't belong there. Most are simply academically delayed(6th grade reading at 3rd grade level/5th grade with second grade vocabulary etc), but they do not have a learning disability.

Think of it like college remedial classes, those people don't have a learning disability. They simply are behind and they need to be brought up to speed
Are you connected to the education field? Students that have IEP's, that need special education, are placed there because they HAVE been evaluated by people that have had training.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:59 AM

396 posts, read 409,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Are you connected to the education field? Students that have IEP's, that need special education, are placed there because they HAVE been evaluated by people that have had training.
True, but I have to say I am tired of the mass of IEPs at the high school level. Not necessarily relevant to the post you are addressing, but it is something that is really starting to annoy me. I think most experienced Sp.Ed. teachers will tell you that by 12th grade your average student should be exited. Why some high schools have a quarter of their student population on IEPs is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education