Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 12:23 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,553,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Considering the general anti-military sentiment among educators, I doubt the students would get a proper education on the holiday.
I'm sorry, but where did this come from?

Old 05-24-2015, 12:31 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
In looking at the Hendersonville NC school calendar, it appears there were eight days of inclement weather in February. I'm not sure how often Hendersonville NC has had that much inclement weather necessitating the closing of schools (until, of course, global warming has changed some storm tracks) for that many days. In all likelihood, school districts have been able to get through the schedule without having to do much adjusting.

I'd rather teach my children that putting a flag on a veteran's grave is a beautiful gesture, but it doesn't necessarily lose its meaning if it's done the day before or the day after Memorial Day. Congress has declared that Memorial Day will be on a Monday, regardless of whether or not that Monday happens to fall on the 31st of May (the original date, for those of you not old enough to remember) when it was originally called Decoration Day. (for those not old enough etc. etc.)

Blather aside, the point being that those veteran's graves can be decorated on Sunday and the picnic can be held on Sunday, (or even Saturday) and children can still learn about how important it is to remember those who served our country. On Monday, they can learn the importance of following the law.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:35 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Going back to the start of the war in Afghanistan and ramped up when it was decided to send troops to Iraq. During this time period there were groups in the NEA who organized to stop or hinder military recruiters on school campus, some educators fought to try to keep recruiters from campus and when recruiters were allowed the teachers staged protest that sometimes became violent, some teachers in Maine verbally harassed students whose parents were about to be sent to Iraq, and that's just what I remember off the top of my head from that time period. College campuses had instances of vandalism to ROTC buildings, attacking military recruiters, and professors harassing students who served in the military or were going to serve in the military. During one particular teach-in at Columbia a professor was calling for the deaths of millions of American soldiers. That was 2003 and he's still a professor at Columbia.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:46 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Teachers Harassing Soldiers' Children - Winds of Change.NET

Of all the things I saw reported during that time period, the link below was the worst.

Teachers Harassing Soldiers' Children - Winds of Change.NET

Old 05-24-2015, 12:51 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,553,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Going back to the start of the war in Afghanistan and ramped up when it was decided to send troops to Iraq. During this time period there were groups in the NEA who organized to stop or hinder military recruiters on school campus, some educators fought to try to keep recruiters from campus and when recruiters were allowed the teachers staged protest that sometimes became violent, some teachers in Maine verbally harassed students whose parents were about to be sent to Iraq, and that's just what I remember off the top of my head from that time period. College campuses had instances of vandalism to ROTC buildings, attacking military recruiters, and professors harassing students who served in the military or were going to serve in the military. During one particular teach-in at Columbia a professor was calling for the deaths of millions of American soldiers. That was 2003 and he's still a professor at Columbia.
I don't think it's fair to paint ALL teachers with the same paintbrush. Many of us have husbands, wives, parents, and other family members who proudly served. As well, there are many veterans who become teachers. In addition, not all teachers are affiliated with the NEA.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:50 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Our daughter refuses to send our granddaughter school on Memorial Day for patriotic reasons and family plans . This isn't a position that is intended to place blame on our great teachers who also via ordinance report for class. It's simply an example of inexcusable county planning unable to mathimatcally "fit" Memorial Day in the year schedule. It needs another look ya think?
What schools stay open for Memorial Day?

Old 05-24-2015, 02:30 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What schools stay open for Memorial Day?
The first 45 posts should bring you up to speed.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:34 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
I don't see it as that big a deal one way or the other. People take their kids out of school all the time for vacations and other family convenience reasons. Or there can be any number of school related absences - I've been joking with my son that with all of the end of the school year activities including several things he participates in that are special activities that don't involve the entire class, he's spent more time out of his classroom than in it lately.

My guess is that attendance will be low and there will be minimal real teaching going on anyway. If a family chooses to observe Memorial Day together, then that's their right to choose to do so.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:45 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,055,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Precisely the reason kids grow into adults who think it's okay to skip work/not call in/quit a job without notice. While the district makes up the calendar, the states mandate how many days school must be in session. Can't mess around with that.
Nope. The fact the mother is teaching her daughter the significance of the day is way more important than bowing to the school administration.

What teaches people to skip work, not call out, or leave without notice is simply a bad work ethic. Teaching people the significance of dead Veterans has ZERO to do with a poor work ethic.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Nope. The fact the mother is teaching her daughter the significance of the day is way more important than bowing to the school administration.

What teaches people to skip work, not call out, or leave without notice is simply a bad work ethic. Teaching people the significance of dead Veterans has ZERO to do with a poor work ethic.
Having worked MANY Memorial Days, I can tell you that dead veterans can be honored before, during and after work/school. These people have had three months to reschedule their picnics, etc. Heck, most kids get out of school by 3 at the latest. Just have the barbecue for dinner!

Do you think these veterans got Memorial Day off when they were in combat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education