Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many hours per month should teachers work for free?
0 - no one should be expected to work free hours for their employer 49 75.38%
1-10 5 7.69%
11-20 2 3.08%
21-30 1 1.54%
31-40 3 4.62%
A teachers should be committed enough to live at school 5 7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 08:45 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Maybe Taxpayers should also "Band Together" and put a stop to paying Teachers during the months they don't work. Its just not fair....
I hope you are being sarcastic, because surely no one believes this anymore. Many teachers (particularly young ones who don't earn very much) have to take other jobs to make ends meet during those summer months when you think they are getting a paid vacation.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:49 PM

184 posts, read 245,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
You indicated that I shouldn't post on here because I'm not a teacher? I'm a parent. Your job doesn't exist without parents and children and I'm the taxpayer you want to pay more to you and your career so yes, I absolutely DO have the ability to comment. I have a tremendous amount of respect for good teachers, and in fact just delivered a speech in support of our great teachers at the graduation ceremony for our school (the parents' toast to the teachers) - this selection was made by the teachers. So in fact you know nothing about me.

I have two children in the education system - they've had mostly awesome teachers and some that aren't. They've also had teachers that perpetually complain about how hard their job is. Did you do any research on teaching before you chose this? I am surprised a brand new teacher is this disgruntled.

As with any career your time and investment will be higher your first few years. That is in no way unique to teaching.

If you don't like the school you're at or feel they are taking advantage of you then change schools. The one action guaranteed to do NOTHING for you is posting here. if you want parents to support you then I would suggest telling us we know nothing about schools or education may not be your best angle.
Listen, I'm not here to get in a fight with you. You seem to think I'm disgruntled. I'm not. At all. I've made my peace with it. I love what I do, and I'll keep on doing it until I can't do it anymore. This is why I say you don't know me. If you did, you would know that I'm no longer a new teacher. You would know that I have changed schools in the past, and I'm on to a new school next year. You would know that I'm not here, on this thread, to get anything for myself, only for public education as a whole. I'm here to advocate for students because I am so passionate about education. You would know that I'm a highly respected teacher, and parents, students, and colleagues are disappointed to see me go. I don't say all this to toot my own horn but to say that you really are making a lot of assumptions about me based on my posts instead of taking them at face value.

I agree that parents have a voice in the matter, but I don't think a parent's voice should be any stronger than a teacher. I think it needs to be a team effort, and no one wins when insults are thrown around and assumptions are made. I didn't say you know nothing about education, but I do stand by my statement that teachers (and principals and others who have at least one degree in the field of education) are the experts. Parents can offer a different and valuable viewpoint, but the majority don't know background or the ins and outs of what is going on in the building each day.

Last edited by bella84; 05-26-2015 at 08:58 PM..

Old 05-26-2015, 08:54 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
What other job gives you summer months off and still pays you for it? So you buy a few items with the free money your given not working for summer vacations. And?

Teachers moan about overtime and not being paid. I wonder if they complain about being paid and not working. In fact, some get summer jobs and get two paychecks. My heart bleeds.....
I don't get paid over the summer. No pay check in July or August.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:55 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Bella84 - You indicated that I shouldn't post on here because I'm not a teacher? I'm a parent. Your job doesn't exist without parents and children and I'm the taxpayer you want to pay more to you and your career so yes, I absolutely DO have the ability to comment. I have a tremendous amount of respect for good teachers, and in fact just delivered a speech in support of our great teachers at the graduation ceremony for our school (the parents' toast to the teachers) - this selection was made by the teachers. So in fact you know nothing about me.

I have two children in the education system - they've had mostly awesome teachers and some that aren't. They've also had teachers that perpetually complain about how hard their job is. Did you do any research on teaching before you chose this? I am surprised a brand new teacher is this disgruntled.

As with any career your time and investment will be higher your first few years. That is in no way unique to teaching.

If you don't like the school you're at or feel they are taking advantage of you then change schools. The one action guaranteed to do NOTHING for you is posting here. if you want parents to support you then I would suggest telling us we know nothing about schools or education may not be your best angle.
About half of the new teachers I mentored quit within the first or second year teaching. They aren't prepared for the myriad of duties teachers must do. It's a trial by fire.

I love teaching, but the best and worst thing about it is that it attracts idealists. We want to change the world and help others. That's why so many complain, because it's not just a job for us. Some of the happiest teachers don't give a flip about the kids. They see it as "just a paycheck". It's hard for the really good teachers to realize they make the same amount as the crappy ones.

I quit teaching for a few years because we moved for my husband's job. I love it so much, I volunteer to tutor underprivileged children for free. I buy my own materials and my own time. That just doesn't happen in other jobs very often.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:03 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You have presented yourself in post after post as an expert, declaiming what is necessary and what is not. Opining on time management. And on and on and on.

Sorry, Ma'am, but you have.
Nope. I never claimed to be an education expert. I said many people have poor time management skills. That has nothing to do with education! Many people do have poor time management skills. There are days when my time management skills suck and other days I rock at it.

Quote:
Without context it tells me nothing except the School Board hasn't passed next year's budget yet. Apparently you think it's significant but you are holding information I don't have.
They are trying to exceed the tax cap and need 60% of voters to approve the budget. They didn't get 60%.

Quote:
Welcome to the world of Special Ed (or a subset of it).
One of my dear friends has been a special education teacher for decades. She doesn't buy gloves for her classroom. Each child has their own aid and the aid has to take care of the student. She doesn't have a regular special education class. She has children who are with her for 3 years - all the junior high grades. I think this year she has 7 students....most of them are nonverbal. I still have no idea how you teach algebra to someone who can't recognize the alphabet or their own name yet the state mandates that they must learn these things. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Quote:
Tenure really does nothing but sort of guarantee due process. If a Principal wants to get rid of you, and he follows a set path, he can get rid of any teacher he wants.

It's actually pretty easy to do in most places.
It totally depends on the state and the contract. Earlier I mentioned the teacher in my school district they had to put on administrative paid leave for 3 years pending numerous drug charges. He was never fired. He took early retirement after he was convicted and sent to prison.

Quote:
What other job gives you summer months off and still pays you for it? So you buy a few items with the free money your given not working for summer vacations. And?
Unless school is in session year round, most teachers aren't paid for a 12 month position. Those I know who collect a paycheck in the summer re spreading out their 10 month salary over 12 months so they can pay their bills in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
A clear distinction is that teachers spend money on things for other people's (students') use; whereas, the auto mechanic and the delivery driver are providing tools of the trade for themselves only.
An auto mechanic's tools aren't only for his benefit. Your car can't be repaired without them! If a delivery driver doesn't have a car, you don't have a pizza. You do benefit from those things!

Old 05-26-2015, 09:04 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Tenure really does nothing but sort of guarantee due process. If a Principal wants to get rid of you, and he follows a set path, he can get rid of any teacher he wants.

It's actually pretty easy to do in most places.
Although, I never decided to became a principal I have my principal license. One thing that we were taught in our administration classes was that any principal could fire any teacher as long as they were willing to put enough time and energy into following the proper procedures.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:15 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,160 times
This thread and its complaints make me wish I was a teacher. Yeah I think I'd trade the hassles of most professions for 'having to buy your own turkey decorations'.. Think I could fit that in, sometime during my ~4 month paid vacation/year.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:17 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,636,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Poop, urine, and menses. Some special Ed students need to wear disposable diapers and undergarments that must be changed.
Yes, I get it. I was expressing revulsion. There is a reason I am not a nurse.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:20 PM

184 posts, read 245,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
This thread and its complaints make me wish I was a teacher. Yeah I think I'd trade the hassles of most professions for 'having to buy your own turkey decorations'.. Think I could fit that in, sometime during my ~4 month paid vacation/year.
Try it. So many good teachers are burning out and leaving. We need more good teachers. If you think it's less hassle than other professions, what is stopping you?

I'm going to pretend I didn't read that comment about paid vacation, since I've already very clearly explained that there is no such thing as paid vacation for teachers.

And, who said anything about turkey decorations? That sure sounds like fun.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:32 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
Where do you live where teachers only work 8 months out of the year? They're not paid for those 4 months off......well it's less than 4 months in most places. They're still not paid for the summer break. Technically, they're not paid for the Thanksgiving, Christmas, Winter, or Spring Breaks. They do get sick days, bereavement, and personal days just like other salaried employees. They do have doctor's visits and family deaths after all. Many of the extra days off and half days are actually teacher workshop days. They're working while the kids are off from school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education