Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 07:04 AM

5,642 posts, read 5,801,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I think in between teaching us patriot songs like My Land Tis of Thee they taught us MoTown songs from the 1960s. This would've been in the 1990s by the way.
We were taught "My COUNTRY Tis of Thee".

Anything music or art related was useless, other than getting us out of regular classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 03:52 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,211,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
We were taught "My COUNTRY Tis of Thee".

Anything music or art related was useless, other than getting us out of regular classes.
Yeah, I botched part of the OP. I tried go back and fix it, but I've never tried editing a post on CD before and then stopped caring rather than getting it done.

Anyway, back on topic I remember learning that a teacher in another school my friends went to was an alcoholic. Like a really blatant one who drank during class by slipping booze into his coffee cup (though that was probably just gossip). My friends went to the nearby school whereas I went to a magnet school despite living in the poorer part of town. Well, knowing someone I never met had a drinking problem counts as useless crap to me so...relevant!

Old 07-10-2015, 04:26 PM

379 posts, read 357,606 times
¡Ay, caramba! cried ... Don Gato.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:05 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,868,094 times
As a former Catholic I would never call religion class "crap" as it obviously was an effort to provide THEIR extreme obscure relationship with God . Incorporating the Catechism and non biblically based sacraments manmade definitions ,manufacture doctrine seemingly pulled out of a hat. I found that the mass memorization, hours of written assignments were not only nonsense , but took away from more meaniful studies. As a biblically oriented christian now I realized that I was duped , Additionally discover at my class reunion the 1/3 of the christian brothers were gay and living with gay students 1/2 left their vocation either marrying or living in gay groups in Catholic retirement centers. Somebody help me!

Old 07-10-2015, 05:14 PM

850 posts, read 899,184 times
Prime and composite numbers. I think that is one math concept I won't use in real life.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:13 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,766,136 times
We had an excruciatingly long phy. ed "obstacle course" period... like, weeks of doing this stupid obstacle course. I could see doing it once or twice, but not 10 times.

We also had archery. We all stood with our bows and quiver full of arrows out in a field and shot arrows toward hay bails with targets on them. Not the best idea... give a bunch of goober kids lethal weapons.

In third grade, we learned all about local government... because the teacher's husband was running for city council. Her "educating" included: the class taking home buttons and pamphlets about her husband to hand out to "friends and family." Basically, she was having us campaign for him.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:44 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,185,611 times
Perhaps the most random that comes to mind was when a teacher "lectured" the class about how Raegan was not trigger happy. This was around 1980 in California.

Another memory is of the science teacher who baked a pizza with earth worms to show that they can be eaten. If I remember correctly he dug the worms up right outside the classroom and I was one of the few who went for it. My memory is that they simply tasted "crispy".

I also remember having the realization that the standardized test used to place and track students (and get them into GATE) was the exact same test year after year. I was in the fourth grade when I made this connection. I also learned that GATE was not as big a deal as it seemed.

I remember learning how to hook the "high bar" with one leg and, while holding onto the bar with both hands, to get myself to spin around and around really fast. All the girls were doing it and it looked like fun.

I learned how to play a game called "buts up", but with two "t"s. I also learned that there was something called "baby bouncy balls" in kickball and that smacking the tether ball while in high velocity with your forearm really stings.

I also remember a college student (young female) talking to the class about production and economics. She used a pen as her example, taking it apart and discussing how this piece costs X amount and was produced by so and so and how this other piece costs Y amount to produce and so on.

There are more, but it is late.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:30 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,319,359 times
I memorized the order the states came into the union in third grade on my own. I've since forgotten them though...

Old 08-05-2015, 10:26 AM

6,922 posts, read 7,002,703 times
I remember in 1st grade learning that no word can end with the letter C. That is not true at all: picnic, garlic, fantastic, and many other words. Where did my teacher get that idea??? We also learned that no word can end with the letter V, which I think is mostly true.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:55 AM

6,922 posts, read 7,002,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Teachers do not like students who are more advanced than the rest of the class. I remember in 3rd grade (1987-88 school year), we had a bonus question in math asking what day of the week will 4th of July fall on this year (asking about July 4, 1988). Most students just took completely random guesses. Some students knew that the day of the week that a date falls on advances one day every year, and, assuming they correctly remembered that 4th of July was a Saturday in 1987, they guessed Sunday for 1988. Initially, the teacher said that Sunday was correct.

I then pointed out to the teacher that in a leap year (which 1988 was) that dates advance 2 days of the week, not just 1, so 4th of July in 1988 would be a Monday, not a Sunday. She checked her calendar and realized that I was right,. However, she refused to give me credit for that question, since she argued that there was absolutely no way that I could have known that a leap year causes a date to advance 2 days instead of 1. She argued that Monday was just a lucky guess. I explained that I knew about leap year, but she didn't believe me.
I just remembered another story involving leap years. In 2nd grade (1986-87 school year, I had a very mean, old-school teacher who hated boys), my teacher explained that a leap year happens every 4 years. I then asked her when our most recent leap year was. In a very nasty voice, she yelled "1983" (which is wrong, but I assumed at the time it was right; 1983 was not a leap year, but 1984 was). I then asked why 1987 is not a leap year, when it is 4 years after 1983. She then said in an even nastier voice that you have to count 4 years plus one more, and that 1988 will be a leap year, and she also threatened to kick me out of class if I asked another dumb question (how were these dumb questions??).

I then expected for the next several years that 1993 would be the next leap year (1988 + 4 = 1992, and then my teacher said you have to count 1 more year, so 1993). I was then surprised to see that 1992 was a leap year. At some point (later than 1988, but earlier than 1992) I was at a friend's house who, for some strange reason, had a 1984 calendar in the bathroom, and I saw that 1984 was a leap year. I then realized that my 2nd grade teacher gave us wrong info (when she said 1983 was a leap year).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education