Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 12:54 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,640 times

Advertisements

I learned the ins and out of clever bartering in the school cafeteria...especially on Sloppy Joe days. I also knew how to bribe those terrific-tasting rolls out of anyone and charm the dining staff into larger servings.

Also in the lunchroom, I was informed while standing in line one day that Santa Claus did not, in fact, exist. I was mortified and interrogated my parents about it as soon as I could. They were honest.

I learned that in some classes, being sent to stand in the hall was a way to relax, not a punishment.

And probably in kindergarten, I think, I learned that if you "do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around, that's what it's all about." I still tell myself, "It's really all about the hokey pokey; stop worrying so much."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 01:05 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
You've have been better off if the teacher had been introduced you to R. Crump the creator of Mr. Natural (Keep on Truckin!), Fritz the Cat, and that unforgettable super hero Wonder Wart Hog (The Big Pig). Crumb also created one of the best posters of the 1960s entitled "Let's Talk Some Sense About This Here America".
Yeah except I grew up in NZ where American stuff was barely relevant...in fact, ignored entirely!

Old 07-01-2015, 02:24 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
We learnt a lot of anti-war songs from the 60s (this was in the 90s) and my year 6 teacher told us that if you get a line of people, all holding hands, and one then touches a live power source (they used to open up the boxes on telegraph poles or something like when he was a kid) the one at the end of the line would get the electric shock.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
We learnt a lot of anti-war songs from the 60s (this was in the 90s) and my year 6 teacher told us that if you get a line of people, all holding hands, and one then touches a live power source (they used to open up the boxes on telegraph poles or something like when he was a kid) the one at the end of the line would get the electric shock.
That is actually relevant to modern day.

God love em >>>random teachers.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:06 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
That is actually relevant to modern day.

God love em >>>random teachers.
He was one of my favourite teachers. What a legend, Mr. Milroy.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:11 PM

Mr Hay and Mr Milroy were spiritual twins.

I dunno, teachers were never pervs back in our day...even the male ones.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:03 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Who remembers a Bushel and a Peck? I learned that in school and Never used it.

The problem with Teachers today is that they are trying to teach from what they read during their school learning days.

How quaint to discuss the Titanic having never lived the time period or JFK for that matter. They read about it in some book somebody wrote after re reading the info in another book somebody wrote etc etc etc......thus the 2nd, 3rd, 4th print.

With each printing details get smaller from a paragraph down to a sentence here and there.

Ever go into a book store and see all the books that are written on any particular subject....they are laughable at times.

Who and what you believe is a matter for discussion and interpretation.

Reading the above posts it is NO wonder that the Asia students are out performing those in the US.

One thing missing today from what I gather is Geography....feel sure many people never knew or heard about Iraq etc before 9/11.

At my senior age of 83 am always learning NEW things....latest being that White is now considered the New Black.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:47 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
I don't remember bushel and peck but remember "hay penny."

I swear, most of these odd memories come from various teachers with their songs.

"Christmas is coming the goose is getting fat, please put a penny in the old man's hat. If you haven't got a penny than a hay penny will do, if you haven't got a hay penny then God Bless YOU! "

And:

"Gobble gobble gobble, i don't like Thanksgiving Day. Gobble gobble gobble I should try to run away." (Sang front the turkey's perspective but it's not like we were vegetarians)

Then another one spent almost the entire year telling us about the "Paul is Dead" hoax from The Beatles. We listened to and disected the entire Srgnt Pepper's album and all related album covers.

We spent my ENTIRE 5TH GRADE ON THIS! And hearing the ambulance and "I buried Paul" in that song scared the sh*t out of me!!

Ps- the schools always served pizza on Fridays and I thought that was because "Fridays are special." Later I realized that most people where I lived were Catholic and probably not supposed to eat meat on Fridays!

Last edited by Utopian Slums; 07-01-2015 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: ps

Old 07-01-2015, 08:13 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Farmers "bushel and a peck".......bushel of wheat in the early 1900's (English)

Crap and some History to remember.

Sitting in class listening to the radio description (recording) on the crashing of the Hindenburg in NJ right after it happened.

School trip going to Toronto to see King George V1 and Queen Elizabeth.

Coming back our railroad car ran off the track in the middle of the night (my parents were frantic as were others considering)

Now that was an Education.

"Seagroms Crown Royal" (Scotch) was named after the Royal visit

Last edited by Steve Bagu; 07-01-2015 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 07-01-2015, 08:15 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
A couple of years after elementary school, a math teacher told us he'd give extra credit to anyone who could produce the longest word in the English language.

No, it wasn't "antidisestablishmentarianism", although a number of my classmates submitted that word.

Instead, it was "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconeosis ", aka "black lung". It turned up after I spent quite a lengthy while poring over my parents' unabridged "Webster's Dictionary". So I got my much-needed extra credit. Not sure what it had to do with math, however...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education