U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 08:48 AM

1,129 posts, read 422,345 times

Advertisements

In the advanced Track. Algebra 2 would be a sophomore class allowing juniors to do precalc and seniors calculus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 08:49 AM

7,030 posts, read 1,995,887 times
I expected Algebra II to be 8th grade

It's sad that most don't even finish calculus by the time they graduate high school :S

Though math wasn't really all that hard for me so I'm biased... But I can't figure out why multiplication/division isn't taught earlier than middle school, if they can add, they can multiple since its just an extension of addition

Old 08-10-2015, 09:13 AM

1,239 posts, read 1,548,719 times
I graduated in Mass (1995).

9th: Geometry
10th: Algebra II
11th: pre Calc
12th: Calc

Most students were a year behind and did Algebra II in 11th

Old 08-10-2015, 09:38 AM

28,384 posts, read 34,355,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post

It's sad that most don't even finish calculus by the time they graduate high school :S......
In what solar system? The order of Math classes hasn't changed for decades nor have the grades in which they're offered for the average student.

Yes, some very small number of kids come into 9th grade taking Alg II or even Pre-Cal. Those kids are the very rare exception.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:27 AM

14,794 posts, read 15,262,535 times
Quote:

It's sad that most don't even finish calculus by the time they graduate high school :S

Though math wasn't really all that hard for me so I'm biased... But I can't figure out why multiplication/division isn't taught earlier than middle school, if they can add, they can multiple since its just an extension of addition
Seriously? Multiplication is taught in 3rd or 4th grade everywhere I have lived. Algebra II is not an 8th grade class anywhere I know of except in the case of a district that teaches Algebra II right after Algebra I and then it is for advanced kids. In most places, the order is Algebra I, Geometry and then Algebra II so Geometry could be an 8th grade course for the advanced kids.

My ds who was advanced in math took Algebra I in 7th and Geometry in 8th grade which made Algebra II honors his 10th grade class. There were a very few kids in his school who did take it early and who were then going to Northwestern for math classes after calculus.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:01 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,721,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Look up the course catalog at the school where you want to student teach and see when most of the kids are taking that class. At our high school the college bound kids would have taken Algebra 2 as sophomores.
This should be posted on the school website...or at minimum the district website.

I don't know where y'all live but in NC we just switched to Common Core, so they take Math 1, (in 8th or 9th grade) Math 2, Math 3 then Pre calc. My oldest took Alg 1 in 8th grade, my youngest took Math 1 in 8th grade. I think they have scrambled up the curriculum a bit so Math 1 is not just Alg, and Math 2 is not just trig. So you may want to look up a curriculum map for your state. (website) And shame on your teacher preparation program for not providing this information for you. You should have covered this in class.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:47 PM

658 posts, read 801,298 times
If the class is taught across multiple grades, I'd pick the lowest grade as that would generally be the best students.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:07 PM

2,435 posts, read 3,060,506 times
At my high school there were 3 tracks.

The lowest was:
Algebra 1
Algebra 2
Geometry/Trig
College Algebra

Middle was
Algebra 1
Algebra 2
Geometry/Precalculus
AB Calc

High was
Algebra 2
Prob Stat/ Geometry
Precalc/Calc A
BC Calc.
Electives were Diff Eq and Linear Algebra.

This was a private school so I expect it might be different than public. In this case, algebra 2 was a grade 9 or 10 class, but the top students took it as freshmen.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:34 PM

2,673 posts, read 1,262,599 times
Quote:

If you finished calculus in high school, what would be the point in offering mathematics in college?

I think you have watched too many episode of Star Trek The Next Generation.

And in what world do they wait till middle school to teach multiplication/division?

In addition, the standard for numbering classes such as Algebra 1, Algebra 2, etc., is within the same school. Even if an 8th grade class in junior high learns algebra, the 9th grade high school algebra class would still be Algebra 1.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:01 PM

5,053 posts, read 4,525,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
If you finished calculus in high school, what would be the point in offering mathematics in college?

I think you have watched too many episode of Star Trek The Next Generation.

And in what world do they wait till middle school to teach multiplication/division?

In addition, the standard for numbering classes such as Algebra 1, Algebra 2, etc., is within the same school. Even if an 8th grade class in junior high learns algebra, the 9th grade high school algebra class would still be Algebra 1.
At the college where I work most all the admited students have taken calculus in high school. It's not that unusual.

Plus there are A LOT of math options past calculus.

It's one of the standard pieces of advice when it comes to college prep to make sure your kid takes algebra in the 8th grade so they can be on track to complete the math sequence in time to take AP Calc or Calc AB/BC.

But I abolutely agree multiplication is taught in grade school, I don't know where that came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education