U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2015, 02:37 PM
 
3,610 posts, read 2,196,399 times
Reputation: 4965

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
If you finished calculus in high school, what would be the point in offering mathematics in college?

I think you have watched too many episode of Star Trek The Next Generation.

And in what world do they wait till middle school to teach multiplication/division?

In addition, the standard for numbering classes such as Algebra 1, Algebra 2, etc., is within the same school. Even if an 8th grade class in junior high learns algebra, the 9th grade high school algebra class would still be Algebra 1.
Most college bound kids have taken at least Calculus by the time they graduate, usually at least AP Cal AB, but often AP Calc BC. Our high school, most of the math oriented kids ended up with Multi-Variable before graduation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2015, 03:04 PM
Status: "Not hardly" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
28,384 posts, read 34,355,125 times
Reputation: 34550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Most college bound kids have taken at least Calculus by the time they graduate, usually at least AP Cal AB, but often AP Calc BC. Our high school, most of the math oriented kids ended up with Multi-Variable before graduation.
That's not actually correct. The number is around 16% of all high school students.

High School Students Taking More Math and Science Courses - College Bound - Education Week

The number of students going to college is @66%.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/26/bu...lege.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2015, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Patrolling The Wasteland
397 posts, read 246,755 times
Reputation: 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
If you finished calculus in high school, what would be the point in offering mathematics in college?
Are you serious? Calculus has been the expected level of mathematical achievement for incoming college freshmen for decades, particularly at competitive state universities and up.

You do recognize there are varying levels of accomplishment in mathematics, right? One could just as easily say "What is the point in offering algebra in college if students have already taken it in high school." By all means audit a 3000/4000 level algebra class, the disparity between college and high school cannot even be expressed in words. The Calculus taken by most high school students is really just fundamentals of calculus and analytical geometry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2015, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,266 posts, read 27,698,997 times
Reputation: 14314
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
For a straight track student, Algebra 1 would be grade 9, Geometry grade 10, and Alg 2 grade 11. For an advanced track student (who takes Alg 1 in 8th grade), Alg 2 would be grade 10.
This is how it is in my school as well BUT we have more and more fast track kids who are taking algebra I and even geometry in middle school. About half of my geometry classes will be 9th graders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2015, 03:55 PM
 
3,610 posts, read 2,196,399 times
Reputation: 4965
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's not actually correct. The number is around 16% of all high school students.

High School Students Taking More Math and Science Courses - College Bound - Education Week

The number of students going to college is @66%.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/26/bu...lege.html?_r=0
..in 2009 anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2015, 03:57 PM
Status: "Not hardly" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
28,384 posts, read 34,355,125 times
Reputation: 34550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
..in 2009 anyway...
That's the most recent I could find, they haven't changed that much. It took 25 years to go from 10% to 16%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2015, 04:45 PM
 
2,673 posts, read 1,262,599 times
Reputation: 6906
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post
Are you serious? Calculus has been the expected level of mathematical achievement for incoming college freshmen for decades, particularly at competitive state universities and up.

You do recognize there are varying levels of accomplishment in mathematics, right? One could just as easily say "What is the point in offering algebra in college if students have already taken it in high school." By all means audit a 3000/4000 level algebra class, the disparity between college and high school cannot even be expressed in words. The Calculus taken by most high school students is really just fundamentals of calculus and analytical geometry.
The poster I referenced stated that they 'finished' calculus in high school.

In our local public high school, considered one of the top in the area, Calculus is only available as an AP class that is very difficult to test into, and it is taught at the local college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2015, 05:04 PM
 
1,578 posts, read 1,793,135 times
Reputation: 862
Curious...in your states, does Algebra I and/or Geometry taken in Middle school count for a HS Credit and GRADE, meaning the GRADE from the class is put on the High School Transcript?

Please answer
- Credit Only
- Grade and Credit
- Other

and State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2015, 05:09 PM
Status: "Not hardly" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
28,384 posts, read 34,355,125 times
Reputation: 34550
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Curious...in your states, does Algebra I and/or Geometry taken in Middle school count for a HS Credit and GRADE, meaning the GRADE from the class is put on the High School Transcript?

Please answer
- Credit Only
- Grade and Credit
- Other

and State
It depends. The student has to get an A or B in the middle school course and, in theory, pass the Algebra High School Assessment/Common Core test then. If he hits those marks the classes count for graduation.

The same metric, minus the HSA since there isn't one, applies to foreign language.

This is Maryland.

I had a student a few years ago, girl, who came out of middle school into Pre Cal. That was her last Math class since it was her 4th Math credit (3 required for graduation).

As a note, in just under 32 years of teaching I only had 3 students who came out of 8th grade into Pre Cal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2015, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Illinois
963 posts, read 355,725 times
Reputation: 266
Algebra 2 is usually a class for grade 10, or even grade 11 in some places. Algebra 1 is typically for 9th grade.

10th grade takes Geometry, and 11th grade takes Algebra 2 or the other way around. But some students could probably end up in a higher level class a year earlier if they took Algebra 1 in 8th grade. But this is usually the norm for *most* school districts in the US.

You should probably choose 10th grade, or maybe 9th grade if you want them to get ahead, although it's rare for a freshman to take an upper-level class like that. I think that even some sophomores might not understand the material very well without taking the other two math courses first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Curious...in your states, does Algebra I and/or Geometry taken in Middle school count for a HS Credit and GRADE, meaning the GRADE from the class is put on the High School Transcript?

Please answer
- Credit Only
- Grade and Credit
- Other

and State
FYI, in meeting graduation requirements, there are a few districts that don't count a course taken in 8th grade towards the high school graduation requirements, just saying.

Here in Illinois, a student can take Algebra 1 in middle school and both the grade and credit appears on the high school transcript.

But some places, such as most districts in California, and in Denver, that I know of, don't even count the CREDIT, meaning that they have to still take the required number of math credits to graduate and the algebra 1 course taken in 8th grade won't count towards that.

Last edited by It is 57 below zero; 08-10-2015 at 06:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top