Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 02:01 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,146 times

Advertisements

I feel that my 12 yr old stepson school is too easy for him. He even admitted it. so a new charter school opened up in our area. They basically do something called Blending Learning. So you divide time between the classrooms and the computer. Basically you might spend 3 hours in the classroom, 2 on the computer. Now the lectures are set schedules. so you might have math and science on monday. then tuesday, science and social studies. Now when you go to the computer room, you pick whatever subject you wish to learn. the issue is now you practice time management. So you cant work on math every single day. If you fall behind on science assignments, the school will let you know. Im sorry this post is all over the place but if you are familiar with blended learning. Let me know how you feel about it. One thing i like is that if a child is excelling in an area, they wont hold him back. so if you are in 7th grade excelling in Math, you can do math at an 8th grade level. Every child can learn at their own pace. One thing I dont like is they dont have sports, so he is upset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 11:11 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Yes, I am very familiar with it. It has multiple purposes. Part of the time is spent in a traditional classroom environment and part of the time is spent working individually through computer instruction. Sometimes the traditional in-class part is a lecture with questions from the students and the computer part is the hands-on activity. Sometimes, it is the reverse with the lecture or the informational part of the course delivered via computer instruction and the in-person class time is used for hands-on or group activities.

I took an adult course using this style last year. I thought that an old fuddy duddy like me would hate it and be resistant to this type of instruction. I found it very helpful and purposeful, at least for this particular course's content.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:17 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,462 times
For certain units in my classroom, I use blended learning. I found that it works really for some students, but others not so well. The driven students who are self-starters will eat it up. Students who need direction will still need direction.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:11 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
I use it in my special education classroom. My students seem to respond well to it and make a lot of progress. I would caution you that it is very important to know what programs the school is using on the computer because they are not all created equal. We have access to high quality programs that are scientifically backed. They test, track progress, and adjust to meet the students needs. That is why it works. If I were to just let the go on cool math or play geometry dash the progress would not be the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education