U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 03:32 AM

963 posts, read 412,026 times

Advertisements

1) Even though the prom is meant to be a dance near the end of a school year, why is it schedule so late into the year that after prom, 12th grade attendance plummets during the window between prom and graduation?

And people always talk about having a "date" at prom. It's also a night that a senior can have with their boyfriends and girlfriends together, but for those who never did have a bf/gf for the first half of the year, and only got one just for prom: If the window between prom and graduation isn't at least 3 weeks, then you won't have a good amount of time to actually hang out or get to know your "date" before the instructional school year ends.

It seems like scheduled dates from prom very by school, even within the same school district. Should prom dates be more uniform within a school district, just like school start and end dates/holdays are uniform throughout a whole school district? Examples: All schools in (this region) start on August 21st and end on May 23. Should there be a district wide decided-on date for prom for all high schools in that region? I think that the prom dates should be consistent within a school district, rather than vary by individual schools.

2) Additionally, it seems like about 7% of high schools make it mandatory for someone to go with a date or else they literally stop them from going. So if someone, who is a quiet, studious student, who skipped a couple of grades, and spends so much time studying and making straight A's, and therefore may be focused more on academics rather than having a bf/gf, why should they be made to do so? Last time I checked, the point of prom wasn't necessarily about dating, but a celebration prior to graduating. Or, what if they don't like half their classmates at school because they don't have very good behavior? There are schools that have serious disciplinary problems.

3) Why don't some schools have juniors be a part of the regular prom just like seniors? I'm not talking about inviting a junior to attend. I mean, both juniors and seniors showing up like a regular person, rather than a guest. There are some schools that have a junior/senior prom attending together, but some don't. Some schools don't even have a junior prom at all. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 03:55 AM

3,614 posts, read 2,692,116 times
How are all the schools going to have prom on the same day? Maybe they have prom at your school, but in our area, most of the proms are held at hotel banquet rooms or similar venues so the dates stagger because of availability.

I know of no school that requires people to have a date for prom. Several people went stag but most of the couples at prom went as friends going to prom together vs a couple that was dating.

Some schools have a junior prom---only for juniors. It probably is mostly due to tradition and the size of the facility where prom is held.

Why does it matter???

Old 09-02-2015, 04:20 AM

588 posts, read 1,147,716 times
I'm not sure I understand the focus on prom. Why not focus on graduation instead?

I agree that not every school can have prom on the same day or even on a "schedule," the way graduation is. It's just a dance. As the PP said, prom is often held at convention centers or hotels, so they clearly couldn't all be the same day or even on a division-dictated schedule. Putting that much focus and energy into planning when each high school could have prom would be ridiculous. Maybe schools could coordinate with the schools in the immediate area, but other than that, they should just schedule prom for when it works for that school.

I never paid a bit of attention to prom when I was in high school and now don't care at all about it for the current teenagers. I had to pretend to care when my nephew was a junior, and suppose I will have to pretend to care now that he's a senior, but in actuality, I couldn't care less about prom. As all the kids get older, I suppose I'll have to pay at least a little bit of attention to it, but I cannot see myself ever actually worrying about it.

When I was in high school (a long time ago!), a large number of the students didn't even go to prom,and just had a big party instead. Many of the students who "boycotted" prom were "coupled" and were some of the most popular kids in our class. Prom was just not something interesting.

I understand your point, OP, about prom being a celebration prior to graduating. I'd focus on that instead of worrying about all the logistics of calendars and dating relationships.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:55 PM

I knew that most proms were held at hotels. But what's wrong with having the dates uniform within a school district like everything else, such as holidays off?

Old 09-03-2015, 08:03 PM

9,002 posts, read 16,123,201 times
The county I live in has 1 Venue that the prom can be held in 5 (soon to be 6) High Schools, that would be ~4000 seniors + Dates, The Venue is not big enough for that.

Proms normally start last weekend in April and the 1st two W/E in May. One on Friday Night, One on Saturday Night for 3 or 4 weekends.

There also is a private HS with about 300 Seniors.. Has to be worked in also.

There does not seem to be a attendance issue after, as Seniors still have finals, (State Lottery Scholarship funds depends on 3.0+ GPA), So blowing off your finals can cost them thousands of dollars.

Proms are optional, You do not have to go, I think Prom ticket were 50$ each (Plus $ from senior fund raisers)

Some HS are small enough that you would not have the critical mass of students to make the prom affordable, so the prom includes both JR & SR's

Old 09-04-2015, 07:07 AM

7,622 posts, read 8,965,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
1)Even though the prom is meant to be a dance near the end of a school year, why is it schedule so late into the year that after prom, 12th grade attendance plummets during the window between prom and graduation?
Do you have data that attendance plummets after the prom? My belief is that performance and attendance drops after mid-terms or after the acceptance letters roll in. It's not related to the Prom at all.

Quote:

And people always talk about having a "date" at prom. It's also a night that a senior can have with their boyfriends and girlfriends together, but for those who never did have a bf/gf for the first half of the year, and only got one just for prom: If the window between prom and graduation isn't at least 3 weeks, then you won't have a good amount of time to actually hang out or get to know your "date" before the instructional school year ends.
If you want to date someone for a period of time, then ask them out in advance of the prom? And if the prom is the first date, and you want to continue the relationship, why does this have to end when the "instructional school year ends"? You can't continue to date or get to know someone over the summer?

Quote:
2) Additionally, it seems like about 7% of high schools make it mandatory for someone to go with a date or else they literally stop them from going. So if someone, who is a quiet, studious student, who skipped a couple of grades, and spends so much time studying and making straight A's, and therefore may be focused more on academics rather than having a bf/gf, why should they be made to do so? Last time I checked, the point of prom wasn't necessarily about dating, but a celebration prior to graduating.

Prom is not traditionally about a "celebration before graduation". It traditionally started as an event to promenade or show off the to-be graduates. Not sure where you get your data that 7% of schools make it mandatory to take a date; but you are right, some do. But that "date" doesn't have to be romantic; I know of NO school that forces these couples to kiss. Bring a friend; no big deal.

Quote:
Or, what if they don't like half their classmates at school because they don't have very good behavior? There are schools that have serious disciplinary problems.
If you don't like the classmates or there are disciplinary problems, why would you even want to go to the prom with them??

Quote:
3) Why don't some schools have juniors be a part of the regular prom just like seniors? I'm not talking about inviting a junior to attend. I mean, both juniors and seniors showing up like a regular person, rather than a guest. There are some schools that have a junior/senior prom attending together, but some don't. Some schools don't even have a junior prom at all. Why is that?
Proms are not regulated. It's a freaking dance. Every school will do it differently. It's the same as me asking why some schools have small lockers and some schools have larger lockers and some schools have NO lockers. Why is that?

Old 09-04-2015, 08:15 AM

4,859 posts, read 3,711,309 times
Quote:
1) Even though the prom is meant to be a dance near the end of a school year, why is it schedule so late into the year that after prom, 12th grade attendance plummets during the window between prom and graduation?

It seems like scheduled dates from prom very by school, even within the same school district. Should prom dates be more uniform within a school district, just like school start and end dates/holdays are uniform throughout a whole school district? Examples: All schools in (this region) start on August 21st and end on May 23. Should there be a district wide decided-on date for prom for all high schools in that region? I think that the prom dates should be consistent within a school district, rather than vary by individual schools.

2) Additionally, it seems like about 7% of high schools make it mandatory for someone to go with a date or else they literally stop them from going. So if someone, who is a quiet, studious student, who skipped a couple of grades, and spends so much time studying and making straight A's, and therefore may be focused more on academics rather than having a bf/gf, why should they be made to do so? Last time I checked, the point of prom wasn't necessarily about dating, but a celebration prior to graduating. Or, what if they don't like half their classmates at school because they don't have very good behavior? There are schools that have serious disciplinary problems.

1. It's a dance. That's it. Sure, they get dressed up a little more. But ultimately, it is JUST a dance. Not all have dates. Groups of friends attend together. School districts do NOT need to regulate when a dance will be held.

2. 7%? 83% of all statistics are made up. I believe your 7% is also made up. Prom is not mandatory. It is not required to attend. If someone feels so poorly towards their classmates, then it is doubtful they will enjoy the prom (which is ultimately JUST a dance in fancy clothes).

3. Some schools DO include juniors. It has to do with the size of the school AND the size of the venue available.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:47 PM

5,751 posts, read 3,035,945 times
OP, looking at this and your other threads, you seem focused on age issues and who can attend an event/college/etc. Seems like there is some underlying theme going on in your life that we might better help with if we understood it.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
OP, looking at this and your other threads, you seem focused on age issues and who can attend an event/college/etc. Seems like there is some underlying theme going on in your life that we might better help with if we understood it.
Why can't I ask these things out of curiosity, and why are you making fun of me as a person just because of the threads I posted? I have no idea how several innocuous threads as a recent member is causing controversy towards me. Half of them are about the way school systems operate, and it's a topic I have an interest in.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
The county I live in has 1 Venue that the prom can be held in 5 (soon to be 6) High Schools, that would be ~4000 seniors + Dates, The Venue is not big enough for that.

Proms normally start last weekend in April and the 1st two W/E in May. One on Friday Night, One on Saturday Night for 3 or 4 weekends.

There also is a private HS with about 300 Seniors.. Has to be worked in also.

There does not seem to be a attendance issue after, as Seniors still have finals, (State Lottery Scholarship funds depends on 3.0+ GPA), So blowing off your finals can cost them thousands of dollars.

Proms are optional, You do not have to go, I think Prom ticket were 50$ each (Plus $ from senior fund raisers)

Some HS are small enough that you would not have the critical mass of students to make the prom affordable, so the prom includes both JR & SR's
I thought some hotels had more than one ballroom in it.

There are some high schools in Atlanta suburbs that have their prom as early as the first or second week of March. It doesn't need to be in the last week of school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or