U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:27 AM

5 posts, read 15,405 times
Thoughts on Silent Lunch as a form of Discipline for Elementary Kids?
My thought: adopt it as a daily policy at all mealtimes in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 03:15 PM

319 posts, read 880,555 times
I've visited my son's school lunchroom (elementary) when they had "slient lunch" and it was usually if the children got too loud or out of hand in the lunch room. The teachers there would call for "Silent Lunch" and it mean that they all had to sit at their regular tables with their food, but just not talk at all. Kinda like a school wide "Quiet Mouse". That was the kids only really time to relax and talk during the day and they HATED losing that priviledge.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:19 PM

14 posts, read 26,236 times
It sounds like a much better disciplinary method than seriously humiliating or even hitting kids like some people still advocate. Not being able to talk during a break time would likely annoy them enough that they'd think twice before acting up again, so I think it could be a good deterrent.

Meh. Sounds fine to me.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:24 PM

3,537 posts, read 4,904,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpagegarrett View Post
Thoughts on Silent Lunch as a form of Discipline for Elementary Kids?
My thought: adopt it as a daily policy at all mealtimes in the house.
You have got to be kidding? Are we in the stone ages? A "daily policy at all mealtimes in the house."? Dinner time is when the family should all gather together and ENJOY good food and CONVERSATION. In these times you need to know what is going on in your children's lives and take full advantage of any opportunity for an insight into their world. Having such a policy at home, to me, is a clear example of irresponsible parenting!

Old 07-05-2008, 03:25 PM

3,537 posts, read 4,904,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Sage View Post
It sounds like a much better disciplinary method than seriously humiliating or even hitting kids like some people still advocate. Not being able to talk during a break time would likely annoy them enough that they'd think twice before acting up again, so I think it could be a good deterrent.

Meh. Sounds fine to me.
I agree. It is a much better and constructive method of discipline than the other ways. It sure would have worked on me when I was a kid in school!

Old 07-05-2008, 04:35 PM

4,679 posts, read 4,817,162 times
We had silent lunch as a discipline action when I was in elementary school in Florida.

As I remember, it sucked.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,391 times
Default Bad bad bad

First of all, it is easy to make the children all be quite and take away the one time of day that they get to socialize. Is it easier for the Lunch staff???(YES!). Does this make the children unhappy?? Yes. So what is the lunchroom staff getting paid for. Jobs aren't suppose to be easy, especially when it comes to Children. There are no shortcuts, these are human beings we are talking about. Does your work give you a silent lunch? and if so would you stay at your job knowing that your basic freedom to talk is taken away? There is a time for work and there is a time for talk/play. School in the classroom is time for work, recess and lunch is time for play/talk/eat. My child's school has recess 2 times a week, if that. They do not get recess everyday. They have a 20 min lunch. After they eat there lunch they can walk outside in a circular courtyard and talk with one another. Similar to a prison(OH WAIT, in prison you can talk to one another#, excuse me worse then prison, So at this point the children have to shovel the food down there faces as fast as they can.#TEACHING BAD EATING HABITS#. Since the beginning of mankind#even cavemen#, sitting down to eat is the one time everyone socializes. I mean unless your not human of course. Let the children talk at lunch! Don't Punish other people just to make something easier for you!! And by the way, your the principle, you don't have to go into the lunch room and see kids with there sad faces cause they can't talk. What do YOU KNOW!!!!! Oh this study says this, and this study says that, and research says this and research says that. Research told people to drawn sicknesses out of their blood with Leaches back in the middle ages, It doesn't mean that's what you should do. Now a days using leeches is a Ridiculous statement. so saying.. "Oh, we have been doing this silent lunch thing for a long time and it works".... doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. It works for Whom??? the kids....NO.....the Teachers....YES. wow I would hate to be at your school Principle lady. So what's next? Oh lets Put Tape on the kids mouths so they won't talk, cause we have been doing it for a long time and it's easy??#total sarcasm by the way for those teachers and principles who might think that's ok to do#, how about tieing students hands to there sides so they can't raise there hands and ask questions. That's easy right. Oh here's one all parents love. Doing other peoples jobs on top of working all day. The schools got the Parents doing the Teachers job. We have to teach them how to do there home work. There is no helping them with there homework anymore, we have to actually teach them how to do there homework. Try being a non teacher and explaining to a 2nd grader multiplication. Here is an example of that. Say i was a Landscaper, this person PAYS me 100 dollars to mow there lawn....I tell them, "hey you need to your lawn before I get here so it's not so high when i mow it!" That customer is GOING TO TELL YOU to GET LOST!!.... It's your job to teach, DO IT. Stop making it our job to teach!! Parents have to work TOO. Then we have to come home make dinner, get the kids in the bath, read them a story. We don't have time to do your job. Bass Akwards!!! I am so pissed at how you are treating our children. Teach them, be kind to them, let them be children. Stop trying to Control all the things that you have the power to control. You are weak. If you can't handle watching a lunch room full of kids, then you shouldn't be a teacher, you shouldn't be someone who watches over children. And miss principle you should resign dear. You obviously told OLD to remember what it is like to be a child in need of constant love and affection and attention. I'm done. How pathetic.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:46 AM

3,861 posts, read 6,699,934 times
1. This thread is several years old, and I believe the policy at Grassland has changed. (Anyone?)
2. Comparisons between elementary school and prison/adult workplaces don't generally stand up.
3. Proofing is worthwhile. Spellcheck might help you with that 2nd grade homework you dislike.
4. Hashtags are for twitter.

You probably have valid points in your post, but they're lost amid the rant. Hope your day improves.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:54 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,309,641 times
Would you rather your child keep talking in class or hitting? If it bothers you than it must've bothered your child so in part it got your attention and hopefully your childs attention to avoid actions that caused it in the first place.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:20 PM

1,226 posts, read 953,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
1. This thread is several years old, and I believe the policy at Grassland has changed. (Anyone?)
2. Comparisons between elementary school and prison/adult workplaces don't generally stand up.
3. Proofing is worthwhile. Spellcheck might help you with that 2nd grade homework you dislike.
4. Hashtags are for twitter.

You probably have valid points in your post, but they're lost amid the rant. Hope your day improves.
5. Hit return once in a while so people can actually follow the post.

But really.... what are teacher's to do, they can't raise their voice, be harsh, use red ink, say shut your mouth, have silent lunch....oh my goodness. Thank God I'm not a teacher, because I would be on the news for duct taping everyone to their seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education