U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 04:57 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,896,860 times

Advertisements

Sadly, the courts, prompted by parents like WWWWW (poster above) take away all the tools that teachers have to discipline (which means to "teach", by the way) one by one. I don't see anything wrong with a silent lunch.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 09:29 PM

102 posts, read 144,024 times
Where was that research published back in the Middle Ages?

Old 12-09-2011, 12:01 AM

29,580 posts, read 31,907,081 times
45 years ago when I was in elementary school every lunch was a silent lunch. We all ate in the cafatera and the accoustics were horrible so everyone ate quietly and went out to play. I remember kids raising their hands to get the adults attention if we needed anything or even to tattle on someone.

Fast forward to When I was a lunch monitor at my kids elementary school, everyone ate outside and there were no restrictions but except when it rained then everyone ate in the multi purpose room. The concept of quit lunch was unheard of and the din was rediculous. I wished for quiet lunch! It's a whopping 15 minutes and I think kids can suck it up for that long. Or can they anymore?

Old 12-10-2011, 06:39 AM

5,530 posts, read 8,186,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOtransplant View Post
Our elementary school uses a Silent Lunch (eat at a desk by yourself, facing the wall in the lunch room separate from all the other students) as a consequence for behavior. My First Grader was given it for breaking three classroom rules in a day(talking during class twice, and hitting at the back of the backpack of the student in front of her in the bus line).

This seems too much like public humiliation to me. Please don't get me wrong, I strongly support consequences for behavior, but this seems wrong to me, especially for a 6 1/2 year old. I can understand it's use if they are misbehaving in the lunchroom, but for something totally unrelated and where all the other students are going to be walking by and taking notice?

Any thoughts or opinions?
I don't see the problem with this. It's pretty hard to keep a punishment private in school. Just be happy for as long he considers it embarrassing rather than a badge of honor.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:57 AM

20,554 posts, read 22,715,248 times
Seems a bit childish to me.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:22 AM

2,251 posts, read 4,312,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wainwrights View Post
it seems counterproductive to me to punish a 6 year old for talking during inappropriate times by disallowing her to talk during appropriate times--doesn't that seem like it would make it even more uncontrollable in class if she has had no outlet all day to talk socially?
At 6 years old, the child should understand when the teacher says "We are not chatting now, you can chat at lunch time or recess." If they do not comply with the request to stop chatting then they lose the privilege of doing so at lunch time. It's a consequence. I see nothing at all wrong with it.

If the child becomes more uncontrollable because she is not getting her own way and able to chat whenever she feels like it without consequence, then that's a whole other issue.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:06 PM

659 posts, read 954,285 times
I agree with WWWW she had some great points....

Old 12-10-2011, 10:18 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwww View Post
Oh here's one all parents love. Doing other peoples jobs on top of working all day. The schools got the Parents doing the Teachers job... Stop making it our job to teach!!
This is all that really stood out to me in your mess of a rant.

I hope you realize that when you say, "It's not my job to teach my kid," you lose all credibility. Why anybody would become a parent and then choose to shirk one of the most major responsibilities of childrearing, i.e. being your child's first and most important teacher, is absolutely beyond me.

News flash...it IS your job to teach. If you didn't want to do that, you made a mistake having kids.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:29 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,587,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOtransplant View Post
Our elementary school uses a Silent Lunch (eat at a desk by yourself, facing the wall in the lunch room separate from all the other students) as a consequence for behavior. My First Grader was given it for breaking three classroom rules in a day(talking during class twice, and hitting at the back of the backpack of the student in front of her in the bus line).

This seems too much like public humiliation to me. Please don't get me wrong, I strongly support consequences for behavior, but this seems wrong to me, especially for a 6 1/2 year old. I can understand it's use if they are misbehaving in the lunchroom, but for something totally unrelated and where all the other students are going to be walking by and taking notice?

Any thoughts or opinions?
Opinion from a professional educator and former elementary school teacher - this is completely inappropriate to the modern educational setting and not at all in keeping with best practices in education. When we were kids this kind of thing was done, and so was lots of other stuff that we now consider wrong, in some cases even illegal. This school's administration and teachers are way behind the times and need a wake-up call. Don't let this go - it is bad practice, and goes against modern research.

Last edited by marie5v; 12-11-2011 at 08:43 AM..

Old 12-11-2011, 11:32 AM

2,879 posts, read 6,623,076 times
It is common for the bad kids to not be allowed to eat with the rest of the students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or