Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 02:30 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,208,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Consider yourself lucky if your school has this. Just note that CTY is VERY EXPENSIVE.

If I remember correctly, CTY don't have testing prior to 2nd grade. The SCAT test is taken at testing center where they test to see how far ahead a student is (Language and Math). I see them as advanced placement test.
Hm..I haven't heard any reference to CYT in any of the school or district materials, so unfortunately I'm pretty sure we don't have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 02:32 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,772,651 times
Quote:
Consider yourself lucky if your school has this. Just note that CTY is VERY EXPENSIVE.

If I remember correctly, CTY don't have testing prior to 2nd grade. The SCAT test is taken at testing center where they test to see how far ahead a student is (Language and Math). I see them as advanced placement test.

Hell yeah, it's expensive! My daughter went to one of their summer camps and I damn near passed out when I saw how much they wanted to charge. We ended up with a discount but still. Oy.

For the program at our school they do some kind of modified version of the SCAT for kindergartners. When my son took it we were told he just missed the math cutoff but tested in for language, only they didn't have any programs for language at his age so it meant nothing. LOL. We just brought him harder books to read, but honestly we were going to do that anyway since his advanced language skills were pretty apparent at that point. He's always spoken like a 40 year old man. It's really comical, he cracks all the adults up.

He's in 4th grade this year so we might have him sit for the test again, might not. He seems happy the way things are and I'm not sure I want to open that can of worms frankly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post

Asking 'why would X be considered wrong/ disrespectful' is NOT the same as saying 'I don't care if X is wrong, I'll do it anyway!'
Can you really not see that? I'm not a teacher and I don't know any; I don't know the protocols or how they feel about some of these issues. Which is why I'm asking. The experience I do have with preschool teachers was very positive so that's all I have to go by.
It's all in the approach really. Just like you wouldn't go to your pediatrician appointments with printouts of reports from medical journals and a suggestion of which medicine to prescribe, you shouldn't begin your appointment with the teacher with suggestions on how precisely to develop curriculum for your child. That's all.

Quote:
Hm..I haven't heard any reference to CYT in any of the school or district materials, so unfortunately I'm pretty sure we don't have it.
It's not national. It covers certain east coast states and California. Duke University has a similar program that covers the south, and there is one (out of Northwestern? U Chicago?) That covers the mid west and west. I think all of them cover California... I'm not sure.

Last edited by Tinawina; 09-21-2015 at 02:56 PM..

Old 09-21-2015, 02:33 PM

151 posts, read 158,598 times
Being challenged doesn't make school fun, friends do.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,722,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You are right about the reason why school districts worry more about the kids who are not passing (and the financial consequences). However, EVERY child is entitled to a free and appropriate public education. That is the law.
Yes which means we don't kick them out of public school options (somehow charter schools are exempt from that but are still public schools by virtue of state funding.) It don't mean we have to give gifted programs and offer AP and college level high school courses at all. Just allow for the basics.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:46 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,864,768 times
Quote:
Did you even bother to find out what your school district policy is for advanced kids?

I am a member of a group like this. You need to find something local

https://www.njagc.org/nj-laws-and-policy/local-advocacy

BUT WITH THAT SAID..

I feel you need to educate yourself with what is available before make so many assumptions. After all.. there are plenty of us here who have had their kids gone through Kindergarten. If you want what's best for your son, stop thinking about what should be because "my son is so smart" attitude.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Hell yeah, it's expensive! My daughter went to one of their summer camps and I damn near passed out when I saw how much they wanted to charge. We ended up with a discount but still. Oy.

For the program at our school they do some kid on modified version of the SCAT for kindergartners. When my son took it we were told he just missed the math cutoff but tested in for language, only they didn't have any programs for language at his age so it meant nothing. LOL. We just brought him harder books to read, but honestly we were going to do that anyway since his advanced language skills were pretty apparent at that point. He's always spoken like a 40 year old man. It's really comical, he cracks all the adults up.

He's in 4th grade this year so we might have him sit for the test again, might not. he's seems happy the way things are and I'm not sure I want to open that can of worms frankly.
If the school has a advanced program in place, I wouldn't bother. My kids haven't take the test since 3rd and 4th grade because the school has classes for advanced kids.. I call them advanced and not gifted cause out of about 500 kids, there is about 20% in the accelerated track for math (2 years ahead). These kids aren't gifted, they are just advanced in math.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Did you even bother to find out what your school district policy is for advanced kids?

I am a member of a group like this. You need to find something local

https://www.njagc.org/nj-laws-and-policy/local-advocacy

BUT WITH THAT SAID..

I feel you need to educate yourself with what is available before make so many assumptions. After all.. there are plenty of us here who have had their kids gone through Kindergarten. If you want what's best for your son, stop thinking about what should be because "my son is so smart" attitude.
Yes as I've said several times there is what is supposed to be a good gifted program starting second grade, with both pull out and full-time options, depending on the child's level. So I'm thinking if he qualifies for that I'll be perfectly happy.

I didn't mention there IS also something coming up for K-1 students where you get to nominate and test them for towards the end of the term to start in the second half of the year. It's a new program they're just starting this year. So we'll be doing that. But it's only for a 30-minute pull out math program once a week...so not really a big deal. But at least something.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Yes as I've said several times there is what is supposed to be a good gifted program starting second grade, with both pull out and full-time options, depending on the child's level. So I'm thinking if he qualifies for that I'll be perfectly happy.
Great! Wait 2 years and may he will be advanced enough to get in but like I posted earlier. I had a neighbor who brag about how smart her 1st grader was (JUST LIKE YOU...) 2nd grade comes around and her kid didn't get put in advanced. Then she goes on to blame the school telling us neighbors how horrible our school is....

Just don't want to see you head toward that direction cause from your earlier post, you seem to think that what's going on now will somehow hinder the "gifted" in your son down the road.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
It's all in the approach really. Just like you wouldn't go to your pediatrician appointments with printouts of reports from medical journals and a suggestion of which medicine to prescribe, you shouldn't begin your appointment with the teacher with suggestions on how precisely to develop curriculum for your child. That's all.
Oh..offtopic. this is going to get me so flamed But don't even get me started on doctors

As someone with some chronic health issues that have been utterly and entirely unhelped by numerous medical professionals...and having known many others in similar boat...it's a sad fact that patients arming themselves with as much information as they can (especially now that scientific research is so readily available) tends to prove much more necessary and important than blindly trusting doctors' expertise...to the point of saving lives in some cases. I could tell a lot of stories. But I won't go there.

(PS. I know what's coming OMG NOW YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF SO SPECIAL THAT YOU THINK YOU'RE SMARTER THAN AN EXPERT WHO SLAVED AWAY IN MED SCHOOL. HOW DISRESPECTFUL YADDA YADDA.)
Please don't bother

Professionals -teachers, doctors, whoever - are to be respected, yes. There are great ones out there that really know what they're doing. But I believe that ultimately you can't always blindly rely on anyone to do the best for your situation. No one out there really cares about you or your child aside from yourself and immediate family. Sad story.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:19 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,013,318 times
Quote:
Oh..offtopic. this is going to get me so flamed But don't even get me started on doctors

As someone with some chronic health issues that have been utterly and entirely unhelped by numerous medical professionals...and having known many others in similar boat...it's a sad fact that patients arming themselves with as much information as they can (especially now that scientific research is so readily available) tends to prove much more necessary and important than blindly trusting doctors' expertise...to the point of saving lives in some cases. I could tell a lot of stories. But I won't go there.

(PS. I know what's coming OMG NOW YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF SO SPECIAL THAT YOU THINK YOU'RE SMARTER THAN AN EXPERT WHO SLAVED AWAY IN MED SCHOOL. HOW DISRESPECTFUL YADDA YADDA.)
Please don't bother

Professionals -teachers, doctors, whoever - are to be respected, yes. There are great ones out there that really know what they're doing. But I believe that ultimately you can't always blindly rely on anyone to do the best for your situation. No one out there really cares about you or your child aside from yourself and immediate family. Sad story.
Just curious but again, why aren't you homeschooling your kid? At least this year while youre home with your baby?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education