Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 04:16 PM

18 posts, read 23,973 times

Advertisements

I believe most of the stuff they teach you in school you can learn on the Internet. Pretty much everything they teach you in school you can learn on the Internet. The only exceptions to this rule would be something that actually requires hands on training like the following:

1) Becoming a professional athlete (yeah you can't learn how to become a pro-basketball or pro-Football player just by using the Internet)...

2) Some trades like plumbing, being an automechanic, being an electrician, etc.

But other than that, pretty much everything else you can learn on the Internet.

This is why I think school is mostly obsolete to people who actually have Internet skills. I haven't learned a damn thing in university that I couldn't simply learn on the Internet. So I really think university was a waste of time for me.

I majored in psychology, by the way. I didn't think majoring in psychology was a total waste of time because I did learn some interesting facts about my psychology. But too much of the stuff they taught me in psychology was just nonsense and a waste of time.

I finished three years of psychology. I decided not to finish my forth year of psychology mainly because I felt that it was a waste of time and money for me.

I really think going to university is mostly pointless these days since almost everything they teach you in university can be learned on the Internet.

I really think university is a waste of time.

If you thought it was worth it, you are entitled to your opinion, but I honestly thought it was just useless to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 04:33 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Ok, then your education was a waste of your time. You'll do no better on the internet, though you will believe you will. And that's all that matters, right? Because employers will be happy to hire you as an engineer, scientist, manager, accountant, executive, whatever you pick because you believe they should and their opinion doesn't matter.

Or does it?

Old 09-16-2015, 04:52 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,723 times
The internet is a great place to learn a little bit about everything but you can't become an expert in any profession only from the internet. Do you really want the engineer that designs the bridges you drive over every day to have learned all he/she knows about building bridges from the internet?

There is no substitute for hands on education and training and there's very few jobs that you can learn how to do from the internet.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:02 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaNerdBot View Post

This is why I think school is mostly obsolete to people who actually have Internet skills. I haven't learned a damn thing in university that I couldn't simply learn on the Internet. So I really think university was a waste of time for me.

I really think going to university is mostly pointless these days since almost everything they teach you in university can be learned on the Internet.
Don't go to school to learn. You go to school to meet people, take classes, get A's & get a piece of paper called a degree.

The way to do it is to learn the material on the internet before you take the class. Then sometimes show up for the class and get an easy "A". Then you will have a 4.0 gpa to show a potential employer.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:15 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
The internet is a great place to learn a little bit about everything but you can't become an expert in any profession only from the internet. Do you really want the engineer that designs the bridges you drive over every day to have learned all he/she knows about building bridges from the internet?
Obviously someone is not going to get a civil engineering degree from the internet. However one can look at the civil engineering curriculum and learn the material from the first two years on the internet. Then when they actually go and take the classes they can easily ace them.

For example lets look at a Civil Eng. curriculum. We see most of the non-specialized lower division courses can easily be found on the internet.

http://cee.engr.ucdavis.edu/wp-conte...-8.31.2015.pdf

Here is an example of a Thermodynamics course. If a student watches a whole series of these kinds of courses before signing up for a challenging course they will have a tremendous advantage compared to the average clueless undergraduate.

http://bit.ly/1Lz02n7

This would take a lot of discipline but I actually know one person who did it. Her philosophy was never to take a class she did not study for ahead of time. This gave her a tremendous advantage and earned her a 4.0 grade point and admission to a very prestigious grad program.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:16 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Nope. In the sciences once you get to the graduate level, it becomes vital to exchange ideas, challenge and defend positions from peers and people with far more expertise. That is not something you can learn on the Internet.

Research, both techniques and experimental design cannot be learned just from the web either.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:19 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
You can learn about probably any subject on the Web, in a general sense. The Web isn't the best way to learn how to do something, as you pointed out. It can't teach you interaction with other people, how to give effective presentations, how to do lab work, or anything else with a practical side. You can read tons from books too... but if you got nothing more than that from your university education, then your university really did rip you off big time. University courses should offer more than a reading list.

Then again, I guess that's why certain degrees are offered online by universities nowadays... some Arts specialities can be done online. You get the reading list, and you send your writing assignments to the instructor for feedback.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:35 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Some stuff, yes. For example I only recently got into swimming due to a foot injury that kept me from running, but I was able to learn techniques such as flip turns and proper freestyle form all from YouTube tutorials. I recently joined a Masters swim team and the instructor thought I had swam competitively before. I was like nope! Learned it all from the internet.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:13 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
To a certain point, yes. Would I want a surgeon who had learned his techniques on the Internet? Obviously not! However, I'd say that a K-12 education and a lot of undergrad credits could be (and are often) done online.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:44 AM

8,076 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaNerdBot View Post

2) Some trades like plumbing, being an automechanic, being an electrician, etc.
I learned how to change a broken car door handle using YouTube. Saved $200.00 and the hassle of taking the car to a mechanic.

I don't se why someone couldn't learn plumbing or auto mechanics from the internet. Of course you'd need hands-on training but if you live in a house or have a car that shouldn't be too hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education