Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 07:56 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That would have been one of the tasks in detention. Whoever was supervising the detention.
Exactly. I had detention right before parent teacher conferences one quarter and they wanted the desk tops clean. So the Dean assigned us to scrub desktops during the detention rather than just sitting there as we usually did. I did some other work details too -- stuff like moving furniture around, cleaning the cafeteria. Those weren't bad; cleaning desktops was probably the worst of the work details that I did in detention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 08:03 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That would have been one of the tasks in detention. Whoever was supervising the detention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Exactly. I had detention right before parent teacher conferences one quarter and they wanted the desk tops clean. So the Dean assigned us to scrub desktops during the detention rather than just sitting there as we usually did. I did some other work details too -- stuff like moving furniture around, cleaning the cafeteria. Those weren't bad; cleaning desktops was probably the worst.
True. The thing is, if someone is scrubbing desktops, then I will assume someone must have vandalized.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
True. The thing is, if someone is scrubbing desktops, then I will assume someone must have vandalized.
Kids used to write on desks randomly so they needed to be cleaned off.on occasion.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Kids used to write on desks randomly so they needed to be cleaned off.on occasion.
I've seen writings on desks also. I've seen writings in the boys restrooms as well. That's vandalism and schools will not tolerate it.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I didn't get in trouble very often high school, especially my junior and senior years. Why did you scrub desktops and who made you do it?
I'm the opposite -- I was pretty good the first 2 years of high school but got into more trouble the last 2 years. I discovered that I really enjoyed breaking rules in minor ways and that serving detention didn't bother me all that much, as long as it wasn't too often.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I've seen writings on desks also. I've seen writings in the boys restrooms as well. That's vandalism and schools will not tolerate it.
They couldn't catch everything.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I'm the opposite -- I was pretty good the first 2 years of high school but got into more trouble the last 2 years. I discovered that I really enjoyed breaking rules in minor ways and that serving detention didn't bother me all that much, as long as it wasn't too often.
Detention is bad place in school. Probably either that or ISS are probably the only ways students might get work done outside of class because otherwise they might ge goofing off in class. Most of my classmates goofed off a lot which irritated me once in awhile.
Quote:
They couldn't catch everything.
I don't know what you mean by that.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Detention is bad place in school. Probably either that or ISS are probably the only ways students might get work done outside of class because otherwise they might ge goofing off in class. Most of my classmates goofed off a lot which irritated me once in awhile.

Detention was a good way to get homework and studying done, as long as I didn't get assigned to a work detail, which happened on occasion.

Still, I was a good student and got my work done on my own if I needed to. I didn't have detention anywhere near often enough for it to be the primary way for me to do my homework and studying. In my senior year, when I got a case of "senioritis" and sometimes fell behind on reading and studying, I was sometimes almost relieved to land myself in detention for a couple of days because that gave me a forced chance to catch up.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:56 AM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:

Meaning that unless there's a monitor every few feet there are things like graffiti which will be done.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Detention was a good way to get homework and studying done, as long as I didn't get assigned to a work detail, which happened on occasion.

Still, I was a good student and got my work done on my own if I needed to. I didn't have detention anywhere near often enough for it to be the primary way for me to do my homework and studying. In my senior year, when I got a case of "senioritis" and sometimes fell behind on reading and studying, I was sometimes almost relieved to land myself in detention for a couple of days because that gave me a forced chance to catch up.
I understand what you're saying. Again detention or in-school suspension might be the only ways that students might get their schoolwork done outside of class though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education