Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 08:52 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Nope.
Yup!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 02:17 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Yup!!!
I've said this before, but I'll say it again. 99% of the behavior issues I have with students are because of crappy parents. When you call home, you either never get an answer, or you get some kind of "my little Jimmy would never do that", or even a "thanks" which pretty much means stop bugging me.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:21 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
other than to leave kids staring at the clock for an hour and harass parents?

I'm a long way from having kids myself, but I've already decided I want nothing to do with it. Someone wants to give my kid detention, they can make sure they get home safe or stick them in in-school.
Most districts have a late bus to make sure kids who have after school activities or detention get home safe.

Most that don't give lunch detention.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Oldhag1

Taking away time from students is the most effective method of classroom management. Also, some students might not have a safe work environment for studying or classwork. Detention, even though it's considered a punishment, might be the only way some students will get work done outside of class.
While I agree detention absolutely is part of classroom management for a subset of kids I also find it beyond strange, and a little sad, that you think it is the "most effective method" when it comes to classroom management. It isn't. The majority of kids and teachers can, and should deal with classroom management without resorting to detention. Good classroom management, even with kids with issues, should so many more effective tools before resorting to even sending a students out of the classroom.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Yup!!!
You seem to be really angry about the school system in general.

I am sorry about whatever happened to you to make you so angry that you are incapable of realizing that most teachers, like most everyone else, are for the most part people who care about their students.

But really the fact that you can't see that, says more about you than it does about us.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:57 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
While I agree detention absolutely is part of classroom management for a subset of kids I also find it beyond strange, and a little sad, that you think it is the "most effective method" when it comes to classroom management. It isn't. The majority of kids and teachers can, and should deal with classroom management without resorting to detention. Good classroom management, even with kids with issues, should so many more effective tools before resorting to even sending a students out of the classroom.
I never said detention was effective in classroom management, I said "taking time" was.

I structure my lessons (for the younger students) so that they are busy from bell to bell. "Downtime" is when behavior problems crop up. If kids are too busy working, they won't have time to goof off.

The part about detention was really a second though and I should have separated it into another paragraph.

Quote:

I am sorry about whatever happened to you to make you so angry that you are incapable of realizing that most teachers, like most everyone else, are for the most part people who care about their students.

But really the fact that you can't see that, says more about you than it does about us.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-19-2015 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: removed the rude comment

Old 11-15-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:

Maybe I am....I don't think I am though....just disappointed maybe
The fact that you would make that judgement on my character also says more about you than it does about me.

People who are "for the most part".... aren't good enough. They either care or they don't.
I'm concerned about those ones that don't. I've seen a lot of teachers hurt children with their unkind remarks and discriminations...guess I can't pretend they're not out there just because we have good teachers as well.
A teacher is in the very special position of having our youngest and most vulnerable little people in their care. Parents are trusting them to do right by their children

Who do YOU think really pays the price when their child is detained after school and misses the bus????

The schools get our children for a lot of hours/day....if they really feel the need to punish a child with detention they should do it on their OWN time.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I've said this before, but I'll say it again. 99% of the behavior issues I have with students are because of crappy parents. When you call home, you either never get an answer, or you get some kind of "my little Jimmy would never do that", or even a "thanks" which pretty much means stop bugging me.
I can understand that....it's a shame.
So are you saying that after school suspensions are really to punish those crappy parents?

Old 11-15-2015, 11:08 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Who do YOU think really pays the price when their child is detained after school and misses the bus????

The schools get our children for a lot of hours/day....if they really feel the need to punish a child with detention they should do it on their OWN time.
That time is designed to be spent learning specific curriculum, which doesn't happen if they are removed from the class. That is the purpose of school, after all, not serving as a free babysitter for you.

Quote:
I can understand that....it's a shame.
So are you saying that after school suspensions are really to punish those crappy parents?
Not punish them, inconvenience them enough that it inspires them to do something to work on correcting their child's behavior.

If you don't want your child to miss the bus because of detention then make sure your child behaves at school. It is not a hard concept. You do realize, don't you, that most kids never get detention?

Old 11-15-2015, 11:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
other than to leave kids staring at the clock for an hour and harass parents?

I'm a long way from having kids myself, but I've already decided I want nothing to do with it. Someone wants to give my kid detention, they can make sure they get home safe or stick them in in-school.
It's an antiquated method of punishment for something wrong you did in class.

At one time you feared what happened when you got home from detention, not detention itself.
When you went to school you represented your family and upbringing.
Back then you behaved in public especially with adults.
You did not dare misbehave at school because you got it when you got home.
There was no questioning the school/teacher's motives.

And going home from school were the whispers of "so and so got detention" and we knew we wouldn't see them out playing with us for a while.

It means nothing today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education