Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 05:28 AM

3,167 posts, read 3,978,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
I am puzzled at why Jamestown is mostly ignored in schools. Why is that? Why is it not being taught? And the truth as well about the Landing , the Aftermath and Pocahontas. The Film gives Kids the wrong idea.

When I was in School they taught us about Christopher Columbus and the discovery of America (which is one of history biggest Lies). Then they went all the way 1620 and taught us about the Pilgrims and Plymouth rock.

It wasn't until I was in Middle School (7th grade) that I learned about Jamestown the Real American Founding and where our Roots actually begin and 13 years before Plymouth. And that Columbus actually never even landed on the American Continent a couple years later The truth about Jamestown: The Atrocities, starvation, etc,.

The 'Christoper Columbus discovered America' thing is totally false and one of history biggest misconception.

Christopher Columbus never discovered America (especially United state part) . He did not land on the continent or even come close. He landed in the Caribbean.

Also Columbus could not have discovered america anyway because there were Native Americans living here for hundreds of years.

It about time we started teaching Kids the correct history about Columbus and also The History & The Truth about The Jamestown Landing and Settlement. And most of all Pocahontas.

Jamestown is the real founding of the U.S and the original colony not Plymouth which is what I was taught in elementary school. the beginning or early years of Jamestown was sad and tragic but it still was the founding of the U.S or future or of the future U.s and can not be erased
When I was a teacher VA, our 4th grade took a field trip there every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 08:51 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,765,772 times
I took AP American History and St. Augustine was barely mentioned.....

Old 10-20-2015, 09:26 AM

13,248 posts, read 33,354,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
I am puzzled at why Jamestown is mostly ignored in schools. Why is that? Why is it not being taught? And the truth as well about the Landing , the Aftermath and Pocahontas. The Film gives Kids the wrong idea.

When I was in School they taught us about Christopher Columbus and the discovery of America (which is one of history biggest Lies). Then they went all the way 1620 and taught us about the Pilgrims and Plymouth rock.

It wasn't until I was in Middle School (7th grade) that I learned about Jamestown the Real American Founding and where our Roots actually begin and 13 years before Plymouth. And that Columbus actually never even landed on the American Continent a couple years later The truth about Jamestown: The Atrocities, starvation, etc,.

The 'Christoper Columbus discovered America' thing is totally false and one of history biggest misconception.

Christopher Columbus never discovered America (especially United state part) . He did not land on the continent or even come close. He landed in the Caribbean.

Also Columbus could not have discovered america anyway because there were Native Americans living here for hundreds of years.

It about time we started teaching Kids the correct history about Columbus and also The History & The Truth about The Jamestown Landing and Settlement. And most of all Pocahontas.

Jamestown is the real founding of the U.S and the original colony not Plymouth which is what I was taught in elementary school. the beginning or early years of Jamestown was sad and tragic but it still was the founding of the U.S or future or of the future U.s and can not be erased
Here's what I think is the problem with posts like this - There is no US curriculum that is so detailed that every child has the same education or information. Each state most likely emphasizes it's own history at some point and some individual teachers will do a better job than others at teaching different sections of history. I, growing up in Delaware, learned a lot about The First State. My kids, growing up in Eastern Pennsylvania, learned a lot about Pennsylvania history and an emphasis on Philadelphia. They also studied immigration and visited Ellis Island in nearby New York.

I vaguely remember hearing about Jamestown but don't know if that was from my own reading, what I learned in school or from hearing my kids talk about it when they learned early American history. I think most people know that Christopher Columbus did not really discover America, and I'm not sure how that whole thing got started. I remember him just being listed as one of the Explorers.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:21 AM

44,899 posts, read 59,882,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
I took AP American History and St. Augustine was barely mentioned.....

AP US History you mean. Why would the history of St. Augustine, a Spanish settlement, be mentioned outside of the transfer of FL to the US in 1815 or so?

Old 10-20-2015, 10:43 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,261,140 times
Jamestown isn't ignored by our district, and I vividly recall an elementary school field trip visiting a traveling Jamestown exhibit, too. I chaperoned. But, honestly, I'm tired of these never-ending arguments about what should or should not be covered in a history curriculum. My God, the average American can't even tick off the thirteen colonies, much less the the major differences between them and what role each played in the founding of the United States. I'm not at all worried that a public school social studies course might not cover Jamestown in any depth. As for St. Augustine, you'd be lucky to find one person out of a hundred who even knows where it is.

Last edited by randomparent; 10-20-2015 at 10:56 AM..

Old 10-20-2015, 10:52 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,072,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
AP US History you mean. Why would the history of St. Augustine, a Spanish settlement, be mentioned outside of the transfer of FL to the US in 1815 or so?
I remember learning about St Augustine in the context of Ponce de Leon searching for the fountain of youth. There was a lot of myth mixed into the teaching of history back when I was in school. George Washington's cherry tree, etc.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:46 PM

603 posts, read 923,906 times
Kids don't need to learn about Jamestown in school. They already learned about it by watching the Disney movie Pocahontas.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:35 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,333,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
My daughters fifth grade class studied it.
We are in Texas BTW.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:19 AM

28 posts, read 29,830 times
Why dont schools teach that the civil war was about states' rights and NOT slavery?

Why dont schools ever discuss the enslavement of Asians in the west and Whites in the east along side Blacks?

Why dont schools ever discuss how the federal government is STILL violating various native treaties and continuing to victimize natives?

Why dont schools explain that much of the south west was not stolen but won in war?

Why dont schools explain that it was Lincoln's threat to France near the end of the civil war that actually saved Mexico from Maximilian.

Why dont schools teach about gun confiscation and how it lead to the massacre at wounded knee?

Why dont schools teach creationism beyond the Jewish/Christian/Islamic belief system?

Why dont schools teach the border policies of other nations as well as the typical consequences of illegal immigration such as South American women being rapped by Mexican troops?

Why dont schools teach the histories of both major political parties and explain why democrats started the Indian wars that killed thousand of my ancestors, by in large made up the majority of the KKK, initiated the Japanese internment camps, opposed desegregation in both education and the military...

There's a lot of things, very nasty things, that should be taught but aren't. At least not when I was in school a little over ten years ago. I have no delusions that this country is great, but i really dont like the one sided liberal revision of history.

Old 10-21-2015, 05:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,758,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by author1986 View Post
Why don't schools teach that the civil war was about states' rights and NOT slavery?
They actually do teach this, but it is not true.

See the constitution of the Confederate States.

Avalon Project - Constitution of the Confederate States; March 11, 1861

Busted: 6 Civil War Myths | Confederate Flag & Slavery

While it is true that the union did not go to war to end slavery, it is true that the Confederacy was established to defend slavery. Not only that, but slavery was tied to racism in that the black race is described as inferior in the documents of said confederacy.

Quote:
in its declaration of secession, Mississippi explained, "Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery — the greatest material interest of the world … a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization."
Quote:
In its justification of secession, Texas sums up its view of a union built upon slavery: "We hold as undeniable truths that the governments of the various States, and of the confederacy itself, were established exclusively by the white race, for themselves and their posterity; that the African race had no agency in their establishment; that they were rightfully held and regarded as an inferior and dependent race, and in that condition only could their existence in this country be rendered beneficial or tolerable."
This was true all along, but became more evident when the secession happened.

story (U.S. National Park Service)

Quote:
A special edition of the Louisville Daily Courier was detailed and direct in its message to non-slaveholders. The abolition of slavery would raise African Americans to "the level of the white race," and the poorest whites would be closest to the former slaves in both social and physical distance. Thus, "do they wish to send their children to schools in which the [N]egro children of the vicinity are taught? Do they wish to give the [N)egro the right to appear in the witness box to testify against them?" Then the article moved to the final and most emotionally-charged question of all. Would the non-slaveholders of the South be content to "AMALGAMATE TOGETHER THE TWO RACES IN VIOLATION OF GOD'S WILL." The conclusion was inevitable the article argued; non-slaveholders had much at stake in the maintenance of slavery and everything to lose by its abolition. African-American slavery was the only thing that stood between poor whites and the bottom of southern society where they would be forced to compete with and live among black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education