U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-26-2015, 03:47 PM
 
1,313 posts, read 1,815,994 times
Reputation: 1984

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
What I have learned most from this thread is that 'Homeschooling' has become defined in much the same way as 'Autism'. People pile on as if it is a badge of honor.

I define homeschooling as the parent teaching the child AT HOME all of the classes that are traditionally taught at school. That is why it is called homeschooling. NOT teaching some classes and farming out others to various & sundry tutors, other 'home school' parents, scout troops, Charter School teachers, park rangers, biologists, etc.. If your child goes to a charter school, or has classes with other, non-family students, they are not being homeschooled.

When people say they hate homeschooling, they are referring to the classic homeschooled setting, not your hybrid schooling with all these added features and opportunities.
Autism is a badge of honor? What a disgusting thing to say.

Luckily, how you define homeschooling has zero bearing on anything. There are myriad ways to homeschool. Just think of it as more opportunity to spread your bigotry and hatred.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-26-2015, 03:47 PM
 
Location: California side of the Sierras
10,173 posts, read 5,994,894 times
Reputation: 11634
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
What I have learned most from this thread is that 'Homeschooling' has become defined in much the same way as 'Autism'. People pile on as if it is a badge of honor.

I define homeschooling as the parent teaching the child AT HOME all of the classes that are traditionally taught at school. That is why it is called homeschooling. NOT teaching some classes and farming out others to various & sundry tutors, other 'home school' parents, scout troops, Charter School teachers, park rangers, biologists, etc.. If your child goes to a charter school, or has classes with other, non-family students, they are not being homeschooled.

When people say they hate homeschooling, they are referring to the classic homeschooled setting, not your hybrid schooling with all these added features and opportunities.
That's the thing, though. When you home school, you are free to choose what all is or is not included.

You personally may not consider those particular students to be home schoolers, but the school system does.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2015, 04:12 PM
 
3,283 posts, read 5,677,163 times
Reputation: 2408
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Great minds don't even waste their time attacking someone else's belief system (homeschooling)
Great minds are confident in their own abilities & feel no need to create an
atmosphere of hostility towards people who take their kids' educations into their own hands.

Small minds....that's how some of the "teachers" posting here come across.....
For someone who has now twice railed against discussing people and not ideas, you're still attacking teachers as a group.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2015, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Florida
7,197 posts, read 4,584,044 times
Reputation: 12287
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
What I have learned most from this thread is that 'Homeschooling' has become defined in much the same way as 'Autism'. People pile on as if it is a badge of honor.

I define homeschooling as the parent teaching the child AT HOME all of the classes that are traditionally taught at school. That is why it is called homeschooling. NOT teaching some classes and farming out others to various & sundry tutors, other 'home school' parents, scout troops, Charter School teachers, park rangers, biologists, etc.. If your child goes to a charter school, or has classes with other, non-family students, they are not being homeschooled.

When people say they hate homeschooling, they are referring to the classic homeschooled setting, not your hybrid schooling with all these added features and opportunities.
Um, that's not how homeschooling works at all. So I guess you can hate this "definition" of homeschooling if you want to, but it really has no bearing on what homeschooling actually is for most of us. I guess I can define all vegetables as Brussels sprouts and say that I hate all vegetables, but that doesn't make me right. It just makes me sound dumb.

Last edited by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy; 10-26-2015 at 05:30 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2015, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,387 posts, read 32,349,503 times
Reputation: 14639
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
What I have learned most from this thread is that 'Homeschooling' has become defined in much the same way as 'Autism'. People pile on as if it is a badge of honor.

I define homeschooling as the parent teaching the child AT HOME all of the classes that are traditionally taught at school. That is why it is called homeschooling. NOT teaching some classes and farming out others to various & sundry tutors, other 'home school' parents, scout troops, Charter School teachers, park rangers, biologists, etc.. If your child goes to a charter school, or has classes with other, non-family students, they are not being homeschooled.

When people say they hate homeschooling, they are referring to the classic homeschooled setting, not your hybrid schooling with all these added features and opportunities.
I've had several "homeschooled" students in my classes. I find it kind of funny that they're "homeschooled" when they're sitting in my class. It appears that "homeschooling" is a euphemism for parent controlled and limited education. The child is exposed to only what the parent wants them exposed to. That's kind of sad because I grew a lot when exposed to things my parents would NEVER have exposed me to. If my mom had controlled my education I would have grown up thinking creationism was a science and evolution a myth. My mom meant well but she was not in position to decide what was best for us to learn. She was not a scientist. She was great at teaching religion though. Fortunately, she knew that and sent us to public school where we were exposed to all kinds of things some good and some bad but all involved learning. You have to challenge your paradigms to really learn.

I've met dozens of homeschooling parents over the years and it really seems to be about control moreso than education but that is a parents prerogative. What bothers me is the cases where it's clear that homeschooling is being done because mom doesn't want to get a job now that all the kids are in school. I've seen this several times over.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 10-26-2015 at 06:49 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2015, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,387 posts, read 32,349,503 times
Reputation: 14639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
For someone who has now twice railed against discussing people and not ideas, you're still attacking teachers as a group.
Funny how that works. I'd rep you but I have to spread the love.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2015, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,387 posts, read 32,349,503 times
Reputation: 14639
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I find it very interesting that there is also a thread going on where people are complaining about all of the time wasted in schools preparing for excessive numbers of tests. But yet here, people are saying, how can you be sure that your kids can pass the tests if you homeschool?

I guess it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't type of situation....
Unfortunately, the tests are important. They're probably more important if you were homeschooled as there is no one to validate what you were taught and that you learned it (I knew one homeschooling mom who used some kind of program but she took her kids tests for them so they'd get good scores). Schools and districts have reputations and your GPA says a lot when that reputation is considered but so does your score on tests like the SAT. I don't think the lower level tests matter but there is the question of how do you know that your child has learned what they should have to date? Like it or not answering that question will involve some kind of test.

I do think that we spend too much time preparing for tests. The sad thing is we shouldn't be but the government has done everything from attach our operating budget and individual teacher's certifications to those tests. Schools don't want this but what are they to do when you threaten to pull funding and teacher certifications? I'm tired of how important the tests have become. We took the tests when I was a kid but no one prepared. You just took it when test day came. Now we spend weeks preparing kids to take the tests because so much rides on them. IMO they are no longer a good measure of learning but more of test preparation. My high school spent weeks preparing kids for the ACT and they performed well. My dd's school did zero preparation and they performed average. I have to ask how well the kids in dd's school would have done if they'd done as much prep as our kids do. They say preparation adds 3-5 points to your final score. If that's true my school would be close to average without the prep.

What really bothers me is what we DON'T test. No one tests whether my students learn my content. Chemistry in my class and chemistry in dd's high school are two entirely different subjects but no one tests that. If it were up to me there would be MORE testing but it would be in the form of exit exams. If you want to make sure that schools are teaching to the standards then test the kids on the standards when they finish the course. This would give teachers incentive to actually teach the standards and give kids incentive to learn what they are taught. As far as data tracking is concerned we're doing it all wrong. We compare this years class to last years class which is nonsense as we're comparing different groups of kids. We have the technology to track year over year progress for every child and if we did ALL students would be important not just the bottom of the class. As things are now the only place you can make gains is by pulling up the bottom. Teaching your top to soar should carry just as much weight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2015, 06:59 PM
 
Location: California side of the Sierras
10,173 posts, read 5,994,894 times
Reputation: 11634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I've had several "homeschooled" students in my classes. I find it kind of funny that they're "homeschooled" when they're sitting in my class. It appears that "homeschooling" is a euphemism for parent controlled and limited education. The child is exposed to only what the parent wants them exposed to. That's kind of sad because I grew a lot when exposed to things my parents would NEVER have exposed me to. If my mom had controlled my education I would have grown up thinking creationism was a science and evolution a myth. My mom meant well but she was not in position to decide what was best for us to learn. She was not a scientist. She was great at teaching religion though. Fortunately, she knew that and sent us to public school where we were exposed to all kinds of things some good and some bad but all involved learning. You have to challenge your paradigms to really learn.

I've met dozens of homeschooling parents over the years and it really seems to be about control moreso than education but that is a parents prerogative. What bothers me is the cases where it's clear that homeschooling is being done because mom doesn't want to get a job now that all the kids are in school. I've seen this several times over.
Do the parents of the home schooled children in your class dictate what you will teach? If not, how are they controlling what their children are exposed to in your class?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2015, 07:00 PM
 
3,283 posts, read 5,677,163 times
Reputation: 2408
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post

OR is it that they have a parent who cares---and many kids in public schools have that!
That cares AND (apparently) has the resources to help ensure that they will be successful. But you're talking anecdotes.

I mean no disrespect, but the general population of students that are homeschooled is vastly different from the demographics of students enrolled in public schools. That difference matters, especially when we're only looking at outcomes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2015, 07:02 PM
 
3,283 posts, read 5,677,163 times
Reputation: 2408
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Public schools crank out mediocrity
I don't know about you, but I'd take Terry Bradshaw over Tim Tebow any day of the week.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:11 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top