U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 10:12 AM

4,426 posts, read 10,254,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
That's for college not K-12. There's NO deduction/credit/ tax free savings plan for monies spent on private school during those years. And any parent, not just those with kids in private school, can use a Coverdell 529 plan to save for their kids college education.
Wrong. Start here Forbes Welcome

Coverdell CAN be used for k-12 private. It specifically excludes homeschoolers. There was legislation introduced earlier this year to include homeschooling expenses; but as far as I know it hasn't passed. CHeck out HSLDA for more info regarding Coverdell and homeschooling.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 10:35 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,675,125 times
Ah yes, another suggested panacea for what "ails" education in this country.

Before we start pulling even one more dime of funding from public schools to go towards these educational alternatives, I think the government needs to produce some honest disaggregated per pupil expenditure numbers. It costs several times more to educate a student with special needs or an English language learner than a "regular" education student. Yet these numbers are all rolled into spending reports used to produce per pupil expenditure data, which is then used as a baseline for money following students to other educational options. We need more transparency in this area.

Additionally, if we're going to use data about the relative efficacy of one schooling option versus another, we most certainly need to take into consideration whether or not we are making apples-to-apples comparisons. A homeschooling parent, by default, is much more committed to and involved in their child's education, which as most research suggests, is one of the key ingredients to child academic success regardless of schooling method.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:01 AM

8,653 posts, read 5,566,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Wrong. Start here Forbes Welcome

Coverdell CAN be used for k-12 private. It specifically excludes homeschoolers. There was legislation introduced earlier this year to include homeschooling expenses; but as far as I know it hasn't passed. CHeck out HSLDA for more info regarding Coverdell and homeschooling.
I stand corrected. Since my last kid graduated from private school in 2006 I haven't paid much attention to this issue. I do know that during the 17 years I had kids in private school, I got exactly zero in tax deductions or credits. Glad that that's changed and I hope they extend this to homeschoolers as well. Seems only right.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:05 AM

86,068 posts, read 76,646,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Ah yes, another suggested panacea for what "ails" education in this country.

Before we start pulling even one more dime of funding from public schools to go towards these educational alternatives, I think the government needs to produce some honest disaggregated per pupil expenditure numbers. It costs several times more to educate a student with special needs or an English language learner than a "regular" education student. Yet these numbers are all rolled into spending reports used to produce per pupil expenditure data, which is then used as a baseline for money following students to other educational options. We need more transparency in this area.

Additionally, if we're going to use data about the relative efficacy of one schooling option versus another, we most certainly need to take into consideration whether or not we are making apples-to-apples comparisons. A homeschooling parent, by default, is much more committed to and involved in their child's education, which as most research suggests, is one of the key ingredients to child academic success regardless of schooling method.
It would probably shock people. I think more and more money goes to ESL and SPED each year as the number of students fitting into those categories rises.

I noticed it this year when one district (rather large one) had their job openings up..17 SPED paras and 2 academic paras.

The elementary school I tutored at last year has only SPED or ESL paras now.
And maybe this is the result of mainstreaming. Not being in a contained classroom anymore means that more are needed as the kids are spread out among different classrooms now.

I read an article about how one country deals with immigrant children that don't speak the language.
They go into a special class for one year that focuses on acquiring the language skills over learning the academics.
They said it works much better because when the student is integrated into the mainstream classroom they are able to participate right away.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:59 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,815,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It would probably shock people. I think more and more money goes to ESL and SPED each year as the number of students fitting into those categories rises.

I read an article about how one country deals with immigrant children that don't speak the language.
They go into a special class for one year that focuses on acquiring the language skills over learning the academics.
They said it works much better because when the student is integrated into the mainstream classroom they are able to participate right away.
I'd love to see some reactions to a similar proposal here.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
I'd love to see some reactions to a similar proposal here.
Remedial and intervention classes are under the gun now as being discriminatory due to the demographic makeup of the students.

Sadly these are the very kids that need the extra help.

I've spent the last 4 years doing this type of tutoring and remediation.
Yes, the groups are predominately ESL and minority students.
But they need the help. They aren't being put into these classes based on their skin color or lack of command of the English language.
They are failing Math and Reading.

I can only shake my head at the stupidity of some people who put PC above all else.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:31 PM

5,329 posts, read 3,914,111 times
Quote:
Remedial and intervention classes are under the gun now as being discriminatory due to the demographic makeup of the students.

Sadly these are the very kids that need the extra help.

I've spent the last 4 years doing this type of tutoring and remediation.
Yes, the groups are predominately ESL and minority students.
But they need the help. They aren't being put into these classes based on their skin color or lack of command of the English language.
They are failing Math and Reading.

I can only shake my head at the stupidity of some people who put PC above all else.
Race has nothing to do with it. If you ever went into the after school detention room at my high school, most all of the students would have been black. It has nothing to do with race. It's just that those students, regardless of race, have detention for some reason.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Race has nothing to do with it. If you ever went into the after school detention room at my high school, most all of the students would have been black. It has nothing to do with race. It's just that those students, regardless of race, have detention for some reason.
Yeah..what ends up in the room appears to be race based BUT they are not put there because of race.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:25 PM

1,622 posts, read 1,465,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Lack of Social Development???

You have got to be kidding!

This month my son has 2 weekends camping with Boy Scouts, and one additional Saturday doing a fair with Boy Scouts, operating a booth. Plus the weekly meeting.

My daughter went through a corn maze at the pumpkin patch with Girl Scouts plus the biweekly meetings this month.

Both have weekly classes at a kid's culinary arts class with about 12-20 kids that are signed up--some come each week, some come for a month then others take their place.

Both have martial arts weekly lessons, but can go twice a week if their schedules permit. These classes have about 15 kids, some the same for years, other new every few weeks.

They also swim about once a week at a public pool with whoever else is there.

This month they also went to the Grand Canyon Pumpkin Train ride and played with other kids at the pool there and at the haunted train and hay bale maze. This was a long holiday weekend trip.

They also go to the Boy's and Girl's Club M-F if they want after school to do the activities, crafts and sports with the other kids.

One would have to look hard to find 2 consecutive days where they do not have social interactions outside of the family!

And October is not even a busy month!

And my kid's schedule is not that different from other homeschooled kids I know.
Every homeschooled child I have come in contact with has been amazing. They were very verbal and able to communicate in such a better way than any of the public schooled children. If I had children I would seriously consider such an option (thankfully I don't) or a private tutor etc. if I had the money.

I'm guessing that for many the concept of homeschooling is simply foreign to them so they reject it rather than embrace it or even look at it.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:44 PM

16,850 posts, read 19,561,253 times
Quote:
Yeah..what ends up in the room appears to be race based BUT they are not put there because of race.
Unfortunately, that is not exactly true.

The new school detention, where kids make the rules and a prison pipeline ends | Dana Goldstein | Comment is free | The Guardian

Quote:
almost every kid is black or Latino and living in poverty. Only 5% are meeting standards in math and reading.

New federal data shows that across the United States, schools with demographics like these tend to respond to bad behavior with aggressive force. Principals put students as young as four years old into isolation rooms or suspension, kicking them off campus for days or even weeks at a time. School-based police officers – in New York City there are more of them than there are school psychologists or social workers – sometimes respond to offenses as trivial as talking back to a teacher with physical restraints or even arrest.
Quote:
But the discrepancy between black and white suspension rates can’t be fully explained away with children’s home lives. Investigations by the Obama administration found that some school districts are nakedly applying one set of rules to middle-class white kids who use profanity or disrupt class (lots of second chances) while black children who commit the same misdeeds are three times as likely to get kicked off campus after just one incident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education