Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2015, 03:27 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
My husband is a very, very strong Catholic and wanted our children to attend a school that had required religious instruction every day, opening, closing and lunch time prayers every day, attending Mass every day, etc.

So, even though I was a teacher in the public school system we jointly decided to sent our children to the Catholic school connected to our parish for (most of) elementary & middle school.

Perhaps, it is different in your area, but in our area it is extremely unusual for children who were not active in that religion to attend religious elementary schools.

Frankly, having their children attend daily Mass, say (or listen to) multiple very religious prayers each school day, preparing for Communion and Confirmation during the school day plus having required religion instruction every day is not something that most parents would do if that was not their religion. I simply could not imagine parents who were atheist or agnostic or Jewish or Muslim or any other religion other than Catholic sending their children to a Catholic school in our area (even though they say that other religions are "welcome" to attend).
I graduated from high school in 1973. There was a Catholic high school in town and it was considered to be better academically than the large public school. Many of the Jewish families in the area sent their kids there. I don't remember it being very religious other than a weekly mass and a religion class that all students had to take. The school now draws kids from up to 30 miles away.

What I'm seeing today is that many of the Catholic schools excel in sports and become a magnet for the more elite athletes, regardless of religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
But if you got a job teaching in a different city school, why not move there? Even if it's a crappy school district... if it's good enough for you to work in, it's good enough for your kids to go to school there, right?

Things change. In the 10 years we've lived in this area, I've seen the schools go from "A" rated to failing, and now they're "B" rated, I believe. There are also several private schools to choose from, and a very large network of homeschoolers (LOL at your isolation remark). So there are lots of options. We did not worry much about the public schools when we moved, because we were pretty confident that our kids would not be using them anyway.

In my area, there is school choice. So you can send your child to any school in a three-county area, as long as you are willing to provide transportation (and as long as there's room). There are many teachers teaching in one school but purposely sending their children to a different one.

I'm not too concerned about my community falling apart because I chose not to utilize the public schools, though. I'm not sure what kind of clout you think you or any individual teacher has... but it seems a bit delusional. The school is not going to be any better if the principal sends her kids there. It would just be a less-than-ideal environment for her own children. (Based on the Catholic school providing something that the public schools are not... otherwise, why would she spend her money sending them there?)

Please report back when you find out her reasons, though. I'm sure that by now, we're all curious!
I'm hoping this isn't a serious comment. Please tell me I'm right?

Old 11-18-2015, 03:36 PM

174 posts, read 124,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I graduated from high school in 1973. There was a Catholic high school in town and it was considered to be better academically than the large public school. Many of the Jewish families in the area sent their kids there. I don't remember it being very religious other than a weekly mass and a religion class that all students had to take. The school now draws kids from up to 30 miles away.

What I'm seeing today is that many of the Catholic schools excel in sports and become a magnet for the more elite athletes, regardless of religion.

That's been going on for a while. It's actually a hot topic in my entire state because public schools aren't allowed to recruit athletes(and shouldn't be). My husband is in a middle class system and said they've had catholic school coaches recruiting athletes in the school parking lot. I'm hoping that's an extreme case of recruiting and not the norm. And yes Whimsy was being sarcastic.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:11 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorhead1977 View Post
You're still missing the point - is anyone trashing you for what you do? Is anyone saying your kid is too dangerous to be around? I realize that a gang up is going on with mostly two way out of line posters suggesting that I'm mistreating my son, but you seemed way too mature to get involved with that crap.
Oh, for God's sake, quit assuming, contradicting yourself, and spouting hypocritical nonsense. You are the only one saying that your kid is too dangerous to be around. And please document where anyone has said you're mistreating your son.

Quote:
Of course a private school will have more kids heading toward college because they don't have to admit those that don't have college in their future.
That depends on the school and the age of the students. But hey, don't let reality taint your skewed views.

Quote:
I just look at them differently if they work in public schools. It just doesn't seem right to me especially since many people trash public schools. Especially one like my oldest child's school.
Repeat after me: It's none of my business. It's none of my business. It's none of my business.

Quote:
And I really don't have time to worry about this person...it just makes me wonder because of her position. - she is the principal, not a teacher.
For someone that doesn't have time to worry about it, you're sure spending a lot of time worrying about it. LMAO.

Quote:
It may be unreasonable to think about this, but this is a school with a bad reputation depending on who you talk to. It always bothered me when people trash that or all city schools (meaning the kids too).
I can see where that would bother you. It would bother me, too. But ...

a) As long as the educator in question isn't trashing the school itself, or the children, then what's the problem? Again, working in a public school while sending your children to a Catholic school is not an automatic condemnation of the public school system. There's no logic there, no connection.

b) Again, where's the logic in assuming that someone saying the school isn't good is the same as saying the kids aren't good? There's no automatic or logical connection.

Quote:
Sarcasm.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:

Quote:
That's been going on for a while. It's actually a hot topic in my entire state because public schools aren't allowed to recruit athletes(and shouldn't be). My husband is in a middle class system and said they've had catholic school coaches recruiting athletes in the school parking lot. I'm hoping that's an extreme case of recruiting and not the norm. And yes Whimsy was being sarcastic.
Taking these two together: I finally found some statistics for Catholic schools nationwide:

"According to the National Catholic Education Association, 16.4 percent of all Catholic school students in the United States--or more than 323,000 children--are not Catholic." - See more at: Should Catholic schools make exceptions for non-Catholic students? | USCatholic.org

Take a gander at this from the same website: "The Archdiocese of St. Louis, for example, requires in its admission policy that "Non-Catholic students are admitted provided they and their parents/guardians are willing to fully subscribe to the religious philosophy and program of the school." Similarly, the Archdiocese of Boston has a policy that stipulates parents "must accept and understand that the teachings of the Catholic Church are an essential and required part of the curriculum." Many individual schools and dioceses have similar policies." - See more at: Should Catholic schools make exceptions for non-Catholic students? | USCatholic.org

No opting out of religion classes, get sex ed the Catholic school way, etc.

So, it's not a huge number. Do some schools have more non-Catholics? No doubt. In my state, private schools that are part of the CHSAA (Colorado High School Activities Association) are not allowed to recruit any more than public schools are. Dave Logan, a name some of you might recognize from the NFL, got fired as football coach at a Catholic high school for recruiting violations. Mullen High reveals recruiting violations in football program - The Denver Post Ironically, given the tone of this thread, I know of several kids from the Catholic schools who competed in sports for the public school system. (Allowed in Colorado if your school doesn't have your sport. The ones I know did hockey and gymnastics).

Old 11-18-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Taking these two together: I finally found some statistics for Catholic schools nationwide:

"According to the National Catholic Education Association, 16.4 percent of all Catholic school students in the United States--or more than 323,000 children--are not Catholic." - See more at: Should Catholic schools make exceptions for non-Catholic students? | USCatholic.org

Take a gander at this from the same website: "The Archdiocese of St. Louis, for example, requires in its admission policy that "Non-Catholic students are admitted provided they and their parents/guardians are willing to fully subscribe to the religious philosophy and program of the school." Similarly, the Archdiocese of Boston has a policy that stipulates parents "must accept and understand that the teachings of the Catholic Church are an essential and required part of the curriculum." Many individual schools and dioceses have similar policies." - See more at: Should Catholic schools make exceptions for non-Catholic students? | USCatholic.org

No opting out of religion classes, get sex ed the Catholic school way, etc.

So, it's not a huge number. Do some schools have more non-Catholics? No doubt. In my state, private schools that are part of the CHSAA (Colorado High School Activities Association) are not allowed to recruit any more than public schools are. Dave Logan, a name some of you might recognize from the NFL, got fired as football coach at a Catholic high school for recruiting violations. Mullen High reveals recruiting violations in football program - The Denver Post Ironically, given the tone of this thread, I know of several kids from the Catholic schools who competed in sports for the public school system. (Allowed in Colorado if your school doesn't have your sport. The ones I know did hockey and gymnastics).
Wow. The thing here is catholic schools are allowed to recruit. They are private so what can be done. To be fair, there are public schools that illegally and unethically do the same. Our federation for high school sports needs a little more teeth on that one. My kid has been recruited by the two catholic schools in the city through other avenues...usually AAU and Y coaches and other kids' parents, believe it or not.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:19 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
Quote:
I guess it comes down to what one's definition of "good and bad" is. For some people even in this fairly liberal area, blacks and hispanic enrollment make a school "bad".
It's not just the demographic, the quality of instruction is the biggest factor.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
It's not just the demographic, the quality of instruction is the biggest factor.
Disagree. I've found the teachers in the city school quite incredible. Those that capitalize on what's offered get a very good education. But many don't due to socioeconomic reasons.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:44 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,409,916 times
This is why public school teachers need more pay. So they can afford private school for their kids.

LOL Couldn't resist.

But why does education need to be so expensive? If I had just been told what the good books were when I was in school. And not Catcher in the Rye.

Try this:

The Physics Hypertextbook

psik

Old 11-19-2015, 08:40 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
If her heart isn't in her job and she doesn't think much of the students, that does effect me.
Some years ago, I taught in a public school. I had attended public schools all of my life. It was a HS and most of the kids were at or below grade level in math and reading. This was in NYC so once you are done with elementary and middle school, you do not attend neighborhood schools.

I really worked hard for my students, so much so that the first year I was teaching I had the highest passing rate in the department for the statewide examination. But it was a struggle, especially when dealing with the parents. It was an awful environment, even though I had a lot of good kids.

If I had a kid, would I ever in a million years allow them to attend that school? Absolutely not. Too many gangs. Too many fights. Too many weapons. Too much drug use. Too many kids absent every single day. No real sports teams. Not a single AP class. Barely any clubs or activities. There are plenty of great public schools but this was not one of them. There are plenty of public schools that I would be more than comfortable with a child attending but that one? No.

That absolutely does not mean I didn't pour my heart into that job. I wanted the best for my kids and I wanted them to do well---and they did.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:18 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Catholic schools teach grammar...and religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education