Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 04:20 PM

920 posts, read 931,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
We actually do know her kids. They're good kids from what I've seen. A little competitive and intense but that's how their mom is. As for her job duties....yes, I do wonder. Being an administrator is a job with long hours and total dedication to the school (my dad was one). I know adminstrators "taking ownership" of their schools isn't as common now as it was when we were kids, but I still believe that. So seeing her send her kids to a school that sends flyers stating how much better they are than public schools (completely Well that says alot about the Mom most of the time. She's probably a good Mother then. ignoring their advantages of selecting kids), then it bothers me.
Well that says alot about the Mom most of the time. She's probably a good Mother then. So you have your answer upon whether to give the benefit of the doubt or not.

She is a public servant with a job to do, she doesn't take ownership of anything. She is not a business owner, she is a civil servant. Schools are funded thru everyone's taxes. Even if there was a misappropriated mentality of sorts in the past, don't try to promote it.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:28 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Yeah....reading comprehension is good here...I SAID "some". Now I suppose you are going to tell us, OP, that you can see into her, her husband's, and her child's hearts and souls and tell us if they are choosing the Catholic school for religious reasons or not.....

Good grief, let it go already.

The horse is dead. It's decayed to point of bones. And yet you keep beating it....pointless.
Perhaps you don't understand underlying racism. People send their kids to catholic schools in this city because they fear their white children being a minority. When I told people that my son would be going to these schools (without them knowing his race), I was warned that he'd be chastised and singled out for being white. I think a lot of parents do worry about that and choose private schools instead. I remember friends who went to the very high school she sends her kids to and they joke they walked into school on the first day and said "Hey where did all the black kids go?"

Anyway, I think you protest too much about your snobbery. Why so offended that I pointed out my kid's race. I was accused of being a racist victim and in my experience has been that people who are quick to say "it's not racist" actually have some racist tendencies.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-19-2015 at 07:09 PM..

Old 11-19-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
Well that says alot about the Mom most of the time. She's probably a good Mother then. So you have your answer upon whether to give the benefit of the doubt or not.

She is a public servant with a job to do, she doesn't take ownership of anything. She is not a business owner, she is a civil servant. Schools are funded thru everyone's taxes. Even if there was a misappropriated mentality of sorts in the past, don't try to promote it.
Taking pride in your job and working hard at it is not appropriate?

Old 11-19-2015, 04:35 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
Quote:
Where did I suggest you must live in the district you teach? My question was why a public school administrator chooses private schools for her kids.
The point is that the administrator's job requirement has nothing to do with sending his/her kids to a public school, so why does your opinion on this matter trump the administrator's opinion on what's best for his/her own kids?

If one works at Burger King because that's the best job he can find, does he (and his kids) have to eat there everyday, too? What, don't you believe in the flame-broiled goodness of the Whopper? What kind of message does that send to the fast food consumers in the area!

Mick

Old 11-19-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Taking pride in your job and working hard at it is not appropriate?
Excuse me?

No one owns a public school, nor should they "take ownership" of one in their own minds.

Not the Administrator, Principal, Teacher or Janitor. NO Civil Servant should be doing such.

If they want ownership of something, let them pay out of their own pocket to own it.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
Excuse me?

No one owns a public school, nor should they "take ownership" of one in their own minds.

Not the Administrator, Principal, Teacher or Janitor. NO Civil Servant should be doing such.

If they want ownership of something, let them pay out of their own pocket to own it.
Actually a good adminstrator does take ownership (not literal if that's where you were confused ) of her place just like any good boss does. It's her school, her staff, her students). And the public owns the schools which is what many seem to miss. You seem to think you are only a consumer of the schools and not a custodian. I have a feeling this is over your head too so I'll stop.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-19-2015 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: removed orphaned comment

Old 11-19-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
The point is that the administrator's job requirement has nothing to do with sending his/her kids to a public school, so why does your opinion on this matter trump the administrator's opinion on what's best for his/her own kids?

If one works at Burger King because that's the best job he can find, does he (and his kids) have to eat there everyday, too? What, don't you believe in the flame-broiled goodness of the Whopper? What kind of message does that send to the fast food consumers in the area!

Mick
There's a difference between burgers and kids. I think public schools are being destroyed by people who want private schools to be the way of the country. I believe in neighborhood schools because a good school enhances a good community and vice versa. So I do get upset when someone plays into the hands of people who want public schools to be a thing of the past.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Actually a good adminstrator does take ownership (not literal if that's where you were confused ) of her place just like any good boss does. It's her school, her staff, her students).
Actually it is all the civil servants staff, school and students, the community who ALL take ownership. Both mentally and physically through taxes. Not a single person but nice try CIVIL SERVANTS are just that.

Quote:
You seem to think you are only a consumer of the schools and not a custodian. I have a feeling this is over your head too so I'll stop.
I don't seem to think anything as this isn't about me.

The schools are publically funded, we all VOTE upon what happens at those schools. I am NOT a consumer of a public school, no one is. So get that out of your head.

IT is a collective of people who PAY for that public school, they vote upon what happens there.
there are no consumers or customers as you've invented here.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-19-2015 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: removed rude/orphaned comments

Old 11-19-2015, 05:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Some. You are very naive if you think all catholic school parents do it for religious reasons. You're naive if you think 70% of them do.
Despite what you want to believe, about 84% of the students in the Catholic schools are Catholic themselves. (I have posted links previously.)

Old 11-19-2015, 07:07 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Curious what people's thoughts are. Normally, I don't care where you send your kids to school as long as you don't bash other people's schools. But the other day, I was reading about my son's former elementary school gym teacher who was promoted to the principal job. The school is in a city with a beat up reputation and the school system get slammed by a lot of people...usually people who have no involvement in the school. Like anything, it's never as bad as people think. Anyway, I learned that she sends her kids to private schools in the city. To me, it was kind of weird learning that. I seriously wondered if she didn't believe in her work. Worse, it sounded like she was perfectly fine collecting a paycheck working with city kids (including mine), but didn't want her own kids around them. Yes I'm totally judging, but it just sounds wrong. Curious what other people think.
Here's the OP ^^^. Please stay on topic, report the rude posts instead of responding to them, because as you see, I just cut them all out. As you can also see, there's nothing here about a gay agenda so let's not go there please. And sometimes it's smart to just walk away from a thread if whoever you are talking to is just not listening or changing their opinion.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education