Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2015, 04:13 PM

188 posts, read 193,062 times

Advertisements

I like going on Amazon and buying old versions of textbooks (usually just like 2-3 or 4-5 years old).

The newest edition sometimes costs $100-$200 but only 2 editions back costs like $.01 on Amazon you just have to pay for shipping.

And there's often like 12 editions so 2 editions old isn't even that old. It's still 90% the same as the new edition just new examples, or an extra chapter.

And you can buy textbooks on any subject, and learn it, without having to take the class.

I don't know if you'll be proficient or certified, but you can get a good understanding of it with good study skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 04:18 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Is there a question or discussion in your post? I don't see one.

I suggest, btw, that you try AddALL book search and price comparison for books if you have particular authors, titles or subjects. It will give you the best price for any particular book.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:45 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
half.com another good place for text books

Old 11-28-2015, 05:37 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballdude39 View Post
And there's often like 12 editions so 2 editions old isn't even that old. It's still 90% the same as the new edition just new examples, or an extra chapter.
Wrong!

I put three kids through college. Content wise you may be right but page numbers, section headings, problem numbers etc. are different. So when the instructor says do problem 11.6 and you have no idea what he is talking about that’s why. Major frustration. Most of the time the edition you want you won't find used or if you do they are not that much cheaper. This is mostly true for freshman level courses as they change editions for no other reason than selling books. Later years not as bad. Another way to buy cheap is to buy the “international edition”, which means Indian.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowin View Post
chegg.com rents them, at least reasonable rates. I haven't used them so I can't speak for their services, but I know students who use them
There are both online and print. My son “rented” one in print but forgot to return it on time. Cost me twice if I had bought new. Publishers save a ton of money on their online editions but the books aren’t that much cheaper.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:50 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Wrong!

I put three kids through college. Content wise you may be right but page numbers, section headings, problem numbers etc. are different. So when the instructor says do problem 11.6 and you have no idea what he is talking about that’s why. Major frustration. Most of the time the edition you want you won't find used or if you do they are not that much cheaper. This is mostly true for freshman level courses as they change editions for no other reason than selling books. Later years not as bad. Another way to buy cheap is to buy the “international edition”, which means Indian.
Experienced this myself. After the first homework set, we discovered the instructor had 4th edition while everyone else in the class had 5th, 6th, or 7th. School bookstore sold out the edition they had and got a different edition when they reordered. This caused problems and confusion throughout the semester. Not only were the problems renumbered, the material was spread into different chapters, and for some problems the data was changed. Basically doing all they can to prevent textbook reuse.

Just to make things even worse, many classes require homework in one of the "Mastering subject" on line. So students have to buy the license and the data/numbering is again different.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:29 PM

Book publishers and college book stores are in it together. They sell new textbooks for $200, buy it back at the end of the semester for $40 then resell it as “used” for $180. They are fighting the internet tooth and nail. There is no reason for a college bookstore anymore that there is a need for travel agencies. The reason they survive is that online pricing is not much cheaper. What is also happening is that in upper division courses students don’t buy the required textbooks. A lot of instructors assign books but never use them. More and more students are finding pdf versions of the book online somewhere. And I am not talking scanned copies. There is no reason for a textbook to cost $300. The effort that goes into is not much more than some contemporary work that the author spent two years on and is selling it for $35.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:01 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Book publishers and college book stores are in it together. They sell new textbooks for $200, buy it back at the end of the semester for $40 then resell it as “used” for $180. They are fighting the internet tooth and nail. There is no reason for a college bookstore anymore that there is a need for travel agencies. The reason they survive is that online pricing is not much cheaper. What is also happening is that in upper division courses students don’t buy the required textbooks. A lot of instructors assign books but never use them. More and more students are finding pdf versions of the book online somewhere. And I am not talking scanned copies. There is no reason for a textbook to cost $300.

The effort that goes into is not much more than some contemporary work that the author spent two years on and is selling it for $35.

How many textbooks have you written? How do you possibly think that the effort is "not much more" than someone writing a novel? Sheesh!

Old 11-29-2015, 03:11 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Quote:
Wrong!

Yup. Not only that, but (at least with my classes) you need an access code for the online content (homework, quizzes, tests, study guides); the code comes with the new editions of the book, so if you buy a used book, you need still need to buy the access code from the either the publisher or the campus bookstore. I ended up spending more money for an access code than it would cost for a new book with the code included.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:39 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
How many textbooks have you written? How do you possibly think that the effort is "not much more" than someone writing a novel? Sheesh!
Authors get very little percentage from textbooks. Most of what you pay goes to the textbook company, not the author.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education