Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 08:31 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times

Advertisements

My guess is, they are working At or Near minimum wage jobs. 50/60hrs a week, have a kid or two. and can only find time to one class at a time, and have to repeat it several times due to life causing them to drop out of the GED programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 09:46 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
OP, No one knows what happened to these people. Maybe they grew up in a home so abusive it's a wonder they have the strength to get up in the morning. Maybe they are dyslexic. They are trying to better themselves, and for this they deserve accolades.

In my case I have a learning disability & ADD not to mention I miss A LOT of school when I was younger & then my dad pulled me out of the 10th grade when he found out that I wanted to join the Navy.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:18 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
The new GED is much harder than the old GED. I was a GED instructor when they made the transition. The math section tripped up most people on the old GED test, and on the new GED test the math section is even harder.

Here is one reporter's story about the new test.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:57 PM

196 posts, read 175,363 times
In 1991 I dropped out of high school and went to job corps. I was a good student; I just wanted to move out on my own and start my life in a new place. I took the GED test as soon as I got up to the job corps center and passed it with above average marks on everything but math; which I placed right at the required minimum. I still can't do math very well even with several college classes. It does not come naturally to me.

At the same time, a girl in my dorm attended all the classes multiple times for the duration of her three + years there and left without a GED. She still does not have one to this day.

Some people learn easily, others do not and sadly; some can not be taught a particular thing no matter how many times they try it.

It took me 38 years to crochet a pot holder and I still can not fry chicken worth a damn. That's just how it goes.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:28 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
With the errors in the post above, I don't think you should be criticizing anyone who is trying to better themselves, no matter how long it takes.
I was thinking this as I was reading and seeing all of the errors. I had to read a couple of sentences twice. Maybe OP's native language is not English. I was wondering.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:27 PM

150 posts, read 97,144 times
I have been told the GED is more comprehensive today than it was in 1983 when I took it. I finished the 10th grade and had completed my History and English requirements for my Junior year when I dropped out. Back in those day's in Alabama one could attend summer school and take required courses for the upcoming school year along with those who had failed the previous year. I went the summer before my 9th, 10th and what would have been my 11th grade school year. I was an average student. I got up one morning in the summer of 1983 and decided I wanted to join the National Guard. I was told I must have a GED so I called Auburn University at Montgomery. They had already started the test for that day but I drove on down and started late. Finished and passed in a couple of hours. I hear some people had attended classes before taking the test.

For the record, I began college a few years ago and am about to graduate from my junior college with a 4.0 this May (if I don't blow it this semester). I decided to major in secondary math education. I really enjoy math and never had the opportunity to take Algebra or Trig or Calculus or Geometry in high school. My mother is in her early 80's and I will be the first person in our family to graduate from any kind of college. No one in my family finished High School but we all got our GED.

So yes, you can do it. I am married. Have an adopted 14 year old girl in our home. Have grown children. Work full time. And still do it. I will say that waiting until you are 52 to begin college does have it's own problems. The brain does not absorb as well as it once did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education