Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2016, 09:54 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
12.2% of special ed students are segregated (and that includes visually-impaired and hearing-impaired children) in special ed schools, the rest are in mainstream schools and spend varying amounts of time in mainstream classes (27.8% stay in a special group in the school fully, 12.1% spend up to 20% of their time in a normal class, 10.4% spend up to half the time in the normal class, 18.3% most of the time in a normal class and 19.1% spend all their time in the normal class). That means 0.9% of school children are taught in special schools, the rest are in normal schools with varying degrees of separation within the school (stat from 2014, you can find lots of stats on special ed here Statistics Finland -)

Part-time special education is a big thing - the child might get a few hours a week special ed until they're back on track or continuously if they need it. About a 5th of Finnish children get part-time special education.
I'm surprised to hear that visual-and hearing-impaired children are segregated. Would the segregated students also include non-verbal autistic children or children with Down syndrome, for example?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
So varies a lot then, some areas might be a few hundred dollars and others less than a hundred. I wonder how much the textbooks cost here. Did a quick google and apparently it can cost upwards of 500 euros for the whole of highschool (3 years) so that's a lot too.
Yes, I think it is fair to say it varies a lot. The highest fees I have personally heard of are in a very good public school district in southern California, where parents pay around $1000/year in fees per student.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:05 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,245,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I'm surprised to hear that visual-and hearing-impaired children are segregated. Would the segregated students also include non-verbal autistic children or children with Down syndrome, for example?
It makes sense to segregate completely blind children and profoundly deaf children as normal schools could be a big safety hazard for them not to mention not having the right resources for teaching them.

I expect it includes non-verbal autistic children and children that are severely developmentally delayed. Not sure about children with Downs Syndrome, they might mainstreamed with support.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:14 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
Yes, I think it is fair to say it varies a lot. The highest fees I have personally heard of are in a very good public school district in southern California, where parents pay around $1000/year in fees per student.
That would be illegal in CA unless the fees are for very, very off the wall things.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:17 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,198 times
Quote:
It makes sense to segregate completely blind children and profoundly deaf children as normal schools could be a big safety hazard for them not to mention not having the right resources for teaching them.

I expect it includes non-verbal autistic children and children that are severely developmentally delayed. Not sure about children with Downs Syndrome, they might mainstreamed with support.
Most of those children would be mainstreamed here. With blind and Deaf children it's most of them, unless they live in an area that has a blind or Deaf school.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
That would be illegal in CA unless the fees are for very, very off the wall things.
I believe this particular school district gets around the law by calling it a "suggested donation" to the school district, but the parent I spoke with felt (and believed most other parents she knew felt the same) that it was not really presented as something optional.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Most of those children would be mainstreamed here. With blind and Deaf children it's most of them, unless they live in an area that has a blind or Deaf school.
According to this source 5% of special ed students in the US are educated outside of mainstream schools. 3% in special schools, 1% in private schools and 1% in various places such as ill children at home, correctional facilities and special residential homes, so less mainstreaming than in Finland.
https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=59

Edit: Read it wrong! US has less children in special schools than Finland

Last edited by Natsku; 01-11-2016 at 01:27 PM..

Old 01-11-2016, 01:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
According to this source 5% of special ed students in the US are educated outside of mainstream schools. 3% in special schools, 1% in private schools and 1% in various places such as ill children at home, correctional facilities and special residential homes, so less mainstreaming than in Finland.
https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=59
How do you figure that? It means that 95% of US special ed students are mainstreamed. By your account, only about 88% of Finnish SPED students are. There seem to be 2 1/2X more Finnish students in segregated special ed.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
How do you figure that? It means that 95% of US special ed students are mainstreamed. By your account, only about 88% of Finnish SPED students are. There seem to be 2 1/2X more Finnish students in segregated special ed.
Oh crap I read it wrong! Think I need a little special education in reading comprehension!!

Old 01-11-2016, 02:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Oh crap I read it wrong! Think I need a little special education in reading comprehension!!
Done it myself many times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education