U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 04:04 AM

1,438 posts, read 2,028,408 times
I'm going to have to ask a gifted child what schmifted means.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:34 PM

69,141 posts, read 58,270,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
Thanks for the responses! Glad to see I'm not alone. Although I do have to respond to this post. While I do agree that there are many parents who go for the easy fix and assume ADD or ADHD to get medicine, there are some who legitimately have ADHD. My son is one of them. We tried cutting sugar, cutting out food dyes, behavior modification, etc. He needs his medicine and will tell you that he feels better when he is on it b/c he can focus and slow down. He is doing unbelievably well and will go far in life b/c we, as his parents, made the tough decision to give him medication he needs. It wasn't an easy thing to face but we did what was best for our son. It's hard when so many people are so quick to think that any child taking medication for ADHD is only doing so b/c the parents don't want to bother with teaching them right from wrong. I know in our case that is totally wrong.
I work in a pediatrician's office and most of the kids on ADHD meds NEED them. You can tell in their behavior, and sometimes in the behavior of the younger siblings as well. (Generally, you have to be six or seven to be diagnosed.)

I also agree that truly gifted kids aren't necessarily bored in school. I've known of some bright kids who were disruptive; I've also known of some not so bright ones who were. It's more a personality thing, IMO.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:15 AM

3,886 posts, read 6,219,940 times
Default EEEWWW, I want to say gifted, gifted and gifted even more now!!! XD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, there's a very real problem of loneliness that 'refugee' parents of gifted kids have to deal with. Parents of athletically gifted kids can brag 'til the cows come home about their star athlete's latest exploits and everyone thinks that's peachy keen and what a great kid! But if a parent utters one small thing about their academically gifted kid... they're treated as if they have the black plague.

A good discussion of this includes the following comment from a parent...

"I'm only able to be completely open with parents of other PG children. With everyone else, who I am and who my daughter is must remain edited and cloaked in order for them to be comfortable."

Gifted Exchange

What kind of a society is this when those who happen to have extraordinary academic ability must constantly edit themselves and hide who they are so that other people are not uncomfortable or scornful?

No wonder our top students rank at the bottom in international comparisons.
This is so true! It's like high school on here! Not being Normal either gifted, ADHD or anything else that isn't the good old American "Norm" is always irritating people. I have 3 kids, each one has there own thing. One is what people would say ADD, one has Panic disorder and one is the G word. All are treated the same shameful way. The one with ADD is actually the most accepted of the 3 so kudos on that. But I thought I could come on here and finally feel part of a group for the gifted one but I guess not. The same old thing, when it comes to your child being gifted you better just keep your mouth shut! I just enrolled him in kindergarten this year and decided to not say a word. He had his assessment like every other kid. The teacher came out and said, ok, he is done. I said great, lets go. She stopped me and said, uh, "Do you know how smart he is?' I said, "No", ha ha. I then told him, "you did a good job sweetie", and we left. I never talk about it because parents start cutting you down and say this crap like there saying on here. Teachers always say every parent says this, please, I will find out just how smart Tommy is, don't you worry! I guess parents feel your smart kid is putting theirs down in a way. So now we just wait until they find out and say something to us. After they notice it they usually won't bring their kids around him anymore. It's sad really. I guess he isn't that fun to them. What 4 yr. old wants to play name that states capital or who can spell the fastest, or hey I know, lets write a book on the computer. He likes to give quizzes too. How fun for your average 4 year old, NOT!! Now he mostly hangs out with his sisters 13yr and 15yr old friends and plays the Wii. I wonder what school will bring? Maybe a bunch of parents talking crap about me and kids thinking my son is weird because he likes advanced games and reads books for 5th graders? I know it won't be like the normal kids kindergarten experience though, it will be the same as the play groups. Snotty moms thinking I read the encyclopedia to my son morning, noon and night. Feeding him only spinach and vitamins! I had one mom actually tell me I was a mean parent for not getting my son more "normal toys". Like I could force him to want a globe or math games if he didn't ask for them. The disney toys never get used people, either does the basket ball hoop! I get what the boy asks for just like you. Thank god for the Wii!! Although I know a 4 yr. old playing 15 yr. old games isn't going to fly either but at least it's what other kids are doing, even if they are older kids. He just asks for educational things. Gifted parents come on here to find other people like them! They want friends too! And to avoid people saying crap like you just did. Which we get aaaalllllll the time! Just give us our own little building and we will be fine and you will never have to hear the G word again! Maybe we should have our own forum for gifted parents only, so as not to bother you superior "want to be normal" people!!!! You know, your not normal either, just a more excepted weird, thats all!
And just because a kid has an addicted interest in a educational subject doesn't mean he can't be a little terd! That is such a sterio type! They usually are just like other human babies in all other areas.

I take it the education forum is just for people with "normal kids now, getting a normal education"?
I'll watch the "G" word from now on, and not throw it around!

Maybe I'll go over to the health thread and tell people there to stop throwing the "eating right" or "quit smoking" crap around and see what kind of response I get, ya, that'll be fun. lol

Last edited by twiggy; 05-15-2008 at 01:27 AM..

Old 05-15-2008, 07:40 AM

69,141 posts, read 58,270,444 times
Quote:
I take it the education forum is just for people with "normal kids now, getting a normal education"?

Maybe I'll go over to the health thread and tell people there to stop throwing the "eating right" or "quit smoking" crap around and see what kind of response I get, ya, that'll be fun. lol
Au contraire, I think a lot of us on this forum have kids who have had "special needs", regardless of what those needs are. My dean's list, medical school candidate daughter had a hard time learning how to read. Many parents of kids with ADHD have posted here.

Have you been on the health forum lately? There are many different opinions expressed over there. I will never get involved with an anti-smoking thread again, b/c they get so nasty and it's the same old stuff every time around.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:21 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,490,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
Do you want the term to not be used at all or just not used so loosely?
Not so loosely. You hear it everywhere now. Heck I even used it when I responded earlier talking about my son's atletic abilities but I was busy and couldn't think of another word

The parents who got so upset at my OP are the ones who throw it around like it means THEY deserve credit for it. My son is a great athlete but I don't take any credit for it. I sucked at ALL sports. The only credit I deserve is for sitting in the gym or at the ball field for the last 4 years for most of the year watching him which I greatly enjoy. Academic intelligence does not ensure success as someone mentioned earlier nor does it mean the child is any better than any other. While they do make more concessions for those with disabilities, it should be more understandable. Those kids struggle to even do as well as the average kids so they do need more help to just function as normally as possible. The "gifted" kids can push themselves outside the classroom and learn on their own. Public education has gone to hell in a handbasket and many teachers are doing good to teach the 'regular' kids. So for anyone I offended, sorry but you're sucky attitudes like saying My kid is smarter than your kid are the exact reason I'm sick of hearing it. I know who my kid is and I don't have to brag about him to other people to make it so.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:32 AM

196 posts, read 61,000 times
I think there's "gifted" and then there's "physically challenged" ..."mentally challenged"....maybe the education system has balled it all up in one ball of wax with the way theyve labeled the names of the "gifted" schools inside the cities...I know theres several in my area, I just assumed the term "gifted" was for academics and nothing beyond ... learn something new everday... what a gift!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:37 AM

196 posts, read 61,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
This is so true! It's like high school on here! Not being Normal either gifted, ADHD or anything else that isn't the good old American "Norm" is always irritating people. I have 3 kids, each one has there own thing. One is what people would say ADD, one has Panic disorder and one is the G word. All are treated the same shameful way. The one with ADD is actually the most accepted of the 3 so kudos on that. But I thought I could come on here and finally feel part of a group for the gifted one but I guess not. The same old thing, when it comes to your child being gifted you better just keep your mouth shut! I just enrolled him in kindergarten this year and decided to not say a word. He had his assessment like every other kid. The teacher came out and said, ok, he is done. I said great, lets go. She stopped me and said, uh, "Do you know how smart he is?' I said, "No", ha ha. I then told him, "you did a good job sweetie", and we left. I never talk about it because parents start cutting you down and say this crap like there saying on here. Teachers always say every parent says this, please, I will find out just how smart Tommy is, don't you worry! I guess parents feel your smart kid is putting theirs down in a way. So now we just wait until they find out and say something to us. After they notice it they usually won't bring their kids around him anymore. It's sad really. I guess he isn't that fun to them. What 4 yr. old wants to play name that states capital or who can spell the fastest, or hey I know, lets write a book on the computer. He likes to give quizzes too. How fun for your average 4 year old, NOT!! Now he mostly hangs out with his sisters 13yr and 15yr old friends and plays the Wii. I wonder what school will bring? Maybe a bunch of parents talking crap about me and kids thinking my son is weird because he likes advanced games and reads books for 5th graders? I know it won't be like the normal kids kindergarten experience though, it will be the same as the play groups. Snotty moms thinking I read the encyclopedia to my son morning, noon and night. Feeding him only spinach and vitamins! I had one mom actually tell me I was a mean parent for not getting my son more "normal toys". Like I could force him to want a globe or math games if he didn't ask for them. The disney toys never get used people, either does the basket ball hoop! I get what the boy asks for just like you. Thank god for the Wii!! Although I know a 4 yr. old playing 15 yr. old games isn't going to fly either but at least it's what other kids are doing, even if they are older kids. He just asks for educational things. Gifted parents come on here to find other people like them! They want friends too! And to avoid people saying crap like you just did. Which we get aaaalllllll the time! Just give us our own little building and we will be fine and you will never have to hear the G word again! Maybe we should have our own forum for gifted parents only, so as not to bother you superior "want to be normal" people!!!! You know, your not normal either, just a more excepted weird, thats all!
And just because a kid has an addicted interest in a educational subject doesn't mean he can't be a little terd! That is such a sterio type! They usually are just like other human babies in all other areas.

you gotta lotta paranoid hangups, I hope your kids, gifted or whatever, dont get them too...

Old 05-15-2008, 11:18 AM

Maybe I do have paranoid hang ups? Well, I'm sure I do, I come on here. lol You must be a shrink? Thanks. For a minute I thought there was a Thread on here about this very subject I'm paranoid about, wow, wake up Twiggy! No one freaks when you use the word "gifted", it's not like there's a thread about it or something. lol Listen, personal insults aside, and I have many I would like to use back on ya, but I respect the rules of the forum, I am paranoid about this, it comes up a lot. A lot more than it deserves too! Who cares really, what other people say. Relax already, my use of the word "gifted" shouldn't affect your day, or how you treat people who use it in the future. Or cause you to make a thread about it. I may be a nut, everyone on here has there issues, including you Sparco, I've seen your past on here, but it does make people keep the word "gifted" out of there vocab. and being social for kids with this has always been a hard issue. I think this thread was about this very thing. Telling me to stop using the word gifted! So, I will, and that might be paranoid, but it hurts my feelings and makes me angry and all that other human stuff! I see plenty of things on here have set your trigger off as well, no need to get nasty!!!
And I as well, apologies for going off on a tangent, but this is not the first time it's come up, and my advise is to really just stop using the word gifted, and if someone is offended by your kids addiction to an academic subject, then thats there problem. I don't get pissed off at people because there kid is a good football player, I go to the games and cheer them on. Come to a chess
tor. and hang, cheer on, relax! It's all good, in a weird, paranoid way! lol
Question: What is it about the word that makes you so upset anyway? Is it that you think these parents are lying and their child, whom you've never meant, aren't really "gifted" so it angers you? Or is it just people with "gifted" kids that anger you? Just curious why it bothers you so much? You know why you bother me, you made a thread cutting people like me down, but why would using the word "gifted" bother you? It sounds like you have a wonderful kid, so why the rage?

Last edited by twiggy; 05-15-2008 at 12:01 PM..

Old 05-15-2008, 11:32 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,490,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
You don't have to get that personal. And if I'm paranoid then why does this thread exist. You don't think we've heard it before? We have, and will. For god sake, saying my son's gifted doesn't mean Im calling your kid stupid! Get over yourself, please. Being gifted just means going overboard in certain academic subjects. You want to talk to others who experience the same. It's quite funny that your response was this on this thread with these post! Read through them again and see why parents with these children are starting to keep their mouths shut. I think this was the threads request, wasn't it? I sure hope your kids don't grow up as insensitive to other peoples feelings as you are as well. Why don't people just skip the post where people are saying some word they don't like? Why make a thread about it. Did they really think it wouldn't offend people? Or, were they looking to do just that? What kind of responses did you think we would give>
Oh, oops, sorry we have disturbed you with this word? Your right, we are careless in how we use it? Do you think we do it on purpose? And if so, who's the paranoid one?
Live and let live, we all have our hang ups, no need to get personal! Unless, thats your hang up? Then, go for it!
I made the thread b/c it's a public forum and it's a free country and I wanted to. YOU could have skipped it if it bothered you. Any other questions?

Old 05-15-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I made the thread b/c it's a public forum and it's a free country and I wanted to. YOU could have skipped it if it bothered you. Any other questions?
Wow, you are really direct. Ok, well, just so you know, it's making me paranoid. lol
I'm going to have "gifted" word dreams all night long. lol

I don't skip it because I like to talk about it. Oh, and on a good bye thread note:

GIFTED, GIFTED, GIFTED, GIFTED, GIFTED HA HA HA HA

NOW, I WILL SAY IT IN EVERY THREAD, HA HA HA

JUST KIDDING, RELAX!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education