Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 06:02 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,900,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall View Post
Where is this happening?
I called Dish Network for a technical question last night and she did it every time.

The meteorologist on the Billings, MT local news does it.

Other than that, I just hear it often and usually from someone who is 30 or less.

I know I could pinpoint other examples, but in everyday interactions with people, I'm hearing it.

I moved here from NM, so perhaps it's a Western dialect starting up. I asked because I wanted to know if anyone else was picking up on it. I have not been back to Ohio, where I grew up, so I don't know if it's happening in the Midwest.

If kids are doing it at school, then it's going to spread. It's not slang, of course. That spreads through school.

I'm glad that a substantial percentage of posters are also hearing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're talking about substituting a glottal stop for a "T".
You have no idea how cool I think your post is. Now I have a name for it! R4T rocks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 06:17 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,627 times
Quote:
You're talking about substituting a glottal stop for a "T". It's been apart of certain dialects in England for IDK, hundreds of years. And yes, I've noticed it in the US the last decade or so. Even on TV. Annoying. I first noticed it among Native Americans whose Native language have the glottal stop. But only relatively recently have I noticed it among mainstream Americans, and only among people under about 30.
Come to think of it I have heard it on BBC. And my British friend talks like that sometimes. Not all the time though.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:29 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,626,136 times
There's a T thief where I live too.
I keep hearing my local newscasters pronounce "Important" as "Imporant"

Old 01-13-2016, 07:51 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,248,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
That actually would make a fascinating thesis project. The title could be "Socioeconomic Predictors of Selected Word Pronunciation." It would be interesting how someone's income and education level causes certain words to be pronounced differently.

If anyone knows of such a study that already exists, if it's available online, it would be interesting to see.
"My Fair Lady" already exists.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:58 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
There's a T thief where I live too.
I keep hearing my local newscasters pronounce "Important" as "Imporant"
If you stop and think about it, we all do it, and it's always been present in at least one word in American English.

Say the word "Continental". Do you actually prounounce it "ConTinenTal"? Or do you nasalize the "o", dropping the "n", then use a stop in place of the first "T", skip the "I" and sort of grunt through it (lol), and half swallow the final "T"?

Pay attention now, and no cheating.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:11 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
If you stop and think about it, we all do it, and it's always been present in at least one word in American English.

Say the word "Continental". Do you actually prounounce it "ConTinenTal"? Or do you nasalize the "o", dropping the "n", then use a stop in place of the first "T", skip the "I" and sort of grunt through it (lol), and half swallow the final "T"?

Pay attention now, and no cheating.
I pronounce all the letters in continental.

Although I have been told that I sometimes over pronounce my ts...

Old 01-13-2016, 08:16 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I pronounce all the letters in continental.

Although I have been told that I sometimes over pronounce my ts...
Thanks for your honesty.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:41 PM

52,685 posts, read 47,940,162 times
T's going away??

I hope not, unless you're speaking French. Escargot comes to mind.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:36 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,765,515 times
E•Nun•ci•ate people!

People get lazy in their speech...or all gangsta....or switch letters....this is what drives me nuts ->...it's "ASK", not "AX".

I will ask a question, not ax a question.

Why? Just why do people do this? It's not in any way grammatically or pronunciationally correct. (yeah, I know that's not a word, but you know what I mean!)

Old 01-13-2016, 10:53 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
I haven't heard that, and hope I never do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education