Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 08:49 AM

2 posts, read 1,098 times

Advertisements

Hi.

So i recently moved to PA and I just realized how hard is ti be a teacher here ( not impossible but hard and expensive).

I have a BA degree in my county to be an Italian teacher, I'm not certified teacher in the USA and I do not want to teach Italian but biology instead. The 2 majors are completely different so i have a lot of studying to do! I did a little bit of research and here are the best ways i found in order to become a teacher in PA. I'm thinking that last option is the best one yet.

Here are the options I found so far:

1. Go back to College and take all the courses, it will take me a few years and it will cost me a lot of money around 25-30k.

2. Take ABCTE program. I need to pass 2 rigorous exams. Only 50% of the enrolled people pass them and it will cost me $3000 or

3. Take CLEP exams for $80 each and go to college turn them into courses ( i need around 30) and take a undergraduate degree from USA college. --- I think this is the best option i have. Its knot expensive and the exams are accepted at more than 3000colleges and unverified within the US.

Hope to hear back from you.
Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 10:13 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,589,313 times
If you are able to get certified in Italian, then you only need 30 extra credits in Biology to be able to teach it. This can be achieved in various ways and most colleges will want you to spend thousands to get a degree from their university.
How far from New Jersey do you live? Many schools in NJ (including Trenton and other school systems near the PA border) are using this curriculum, which would certify you in Biology: https://njctl.org/who-we-are/what-is-psi-pmi/ If the school system is using that curriculum, you could sign up for it regardless of your background and get STEM certified. Maybe you can contact this program and see if they use it in PA too? A couple of states adopted it.
I would not spend thousands of dollars on getting another degree. Maybe a local college has an alternative route to certification that is cheaper - especially since you want to teach a STEM subject.
First things first, get your degree evaluated here so you can get certified in Italian, which (worst case) if you ended up going back to school, would only be 30 credits in Bio classes.

Alternatively, you could look into teaching in private schools or charter schools where to start off, you don't need certification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education