U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 12:05 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,180,973 times

Advertisements

we just moved to a neighborhood where most of the kids go to the public school. We looked at the school, and it was fine, but we didn't want to switch from the pirvate school we were at and I feel like I get a lot of questions designed to make me feel bad about not going to the neighborhood school. It's no one's business, but I would like to respond in a way that doesn't come across as a snob because I do like some of these people and I think many are just curious and haven't researched the private and public offerings to death like we have . A few things to keep in mind - we are not the "rich" in a poor neighborhood - there are people with much more money in the area and also less, of course. Also, we're not going to the private school for a religious education as it is not religious. We're not going there because I think my kids have a better chance of getting into Harvard or Yale or Stanford. I have no idea if they will have the stats to even apply and I would be fine with them going to a good college - in no way does it have to be an Ivy or anything like that.

Personally I actually do think the education is better where we're at for a few good reasons in my mind - smaller classes, SEL program (social and emotional learning), not tied to state mandated testing, not tied to state chosen textbooks (we have an anti-science crowd making deicsions in my state about textbooks), everyone can generally particpate in sports, after school enrichment activities, etc.

Other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 12:38 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,470,794 times
Why can't you simple say this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
we didn't want to switch from the pirvate school we were at
Short and truthful.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:49 PM

2,643 posts, read 1,995,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
we just moved to a neighborhood where most of the kids go to the public school. We looked at the school, and it was fine, but we didn't want to switch from the pirvate school we were at and I feel like I get a lot of questions designed to make me feel bad about not going to the neighborhood school. It's no one's business, but I would like to respond in a way that doesn't come across as a snob because I do like some of these people and I think many are just curious and haven't researched the private and public offerings to death like we have . A few things to keep in mind - we are not the "rich" in a poor neighborhood - there are people with much more money in the area and also less, of course. Also, we're not going to the private school for a religious education as it is not religious. We're not going there because I think my kids have a better chance of getting into Harvard or Yale or Stanford. I have no idea if they will have the stats to even apply and I would be fine with them going to a good college - in no way does it have to be an Ivy or anything like that.

Personally I actually do think the education is better where we're at for a few good reasons in my mind - smaller classes, SEL program (social and emotional learning), not tied to state mandated testing, not tied to state chosen textbooks (we have an anti-science crowd making deicsions in my state about textbooks), everyone can generally particpate in sports, after school enrichment activities, etc.

Other ideas?
Just tell them you didn't want to switch them. Most people hate to uproot their kids. But keep in mind, that most public school parents aren't for the state mandated testing either and your feelings regarding the public school may not be true. If it's a large school, it can be difficult to make more than one sports team. I have one in a large public high school (we took him as a foster kid) where you have to be stellar to make the basketball team. My other high schooler is in a smaller public high school where she plays three sports at the varsity level. The other enrichment activities are actually more abundant at the larger school.

Anyway...tell them your kids have been at that school and they aren't ready to leave their friends.. I only judge private school parents who have to trash the public option.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:53 PM

8,848 posts, read 7,641,615 times
Her/she/they like to school they go to so we all agree it would be best he/she/they finish the year.

Next year you can so they are so happy where they are and doing well so we decided to just let them stay versus disrupt them.

Personally if I lived where the public schools were good, I would send my kids there especially if all the neighborhood kids went to public schools. One of the loneliest kids in a past neighborhood was a kid that went to private school. He never clicked with the local kids as they had little to share.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:00 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,832,557 times
We wanted to skip the public school indoctrination experiment and get a quality education.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:10 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,470,794 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
We wanted to skip the public school indoctrination experiment and get a quality education.
I was 'indoctrinated' WAY more in private school than my kids were in public school.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:19 PM

3,882 posts, read 3,555,989 times
Just tell them the truth, that your kids have friends and are comfortable at the school they were already going to. Your kid probably already interact with public school kids in your town through rec sports, scouts, church, etc.

My kids go to our local Catholic school and it's just our personal preference, and frankly I can't recall anyone ever asking us why we didn't send them to public school.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:30 PM

11,636 posts, read 20,378,404 times
If you want to skip the state mandated testing, prefer smaller classes, and like more extracurricular opportunities for your kids just say so.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:45 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,180,973 times
these are all good ideas. When I stop and think about it, we chose a private school even when our old neighborhood had a "fine" public school and probably would have always. So for the sake of getting along, I think I will just say we didn't want to move them or some combo of the ideas above. They have lots of friends in the hood and they aren't the only ones who go to private (although most of the others go to religious private schools if they don't go to public). At the end of the day though, I guess I do feel like they are getting a better education and are exposed to a lot more than they would be in the local public schools in our area- the private school is actually more diverse, they have recess 2x a day and PE, they have art several times a week (lots of schools are cutting those things), they have community service requirements, they have study abroad opportunities, the science books don't give equal weight to creationism, etc. But, I will keep that to myself And I stress that all of this is compared to public schools in our area only.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:14 PM

968 posts, read 1,325,767 times
I would tell them I send them to private school for the same reason I wouldn't send them to a government run hospital for surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or