Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 10:27 AM

82 posts, read 119,771 times

Advertisements

When I was growing up in Queens I was called all kinds of ethnic slurs but that just made me a stronger thick skinned adult. With this relatively new act (2012), I find out name calling can be can be considered discriminatory and can get you a one day suspension. Instead of kids working out conflict themselves like apologizing to eachother or parents disciplining the child, the school now keeps a record and can institute their own punishment like a one day suspension. My 6th grade child got a one day suspension so I'm wondering if that's normal elsewhere? I would of handed down my own punishment but now I'm finding myself angry with the school and should have my child's back and also question if the other child (also to blame) got some sort of suspension? Any stories to share? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 11:17 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Zero tolerance. Part of the new fascism. Students don't dare step out of line or question authority in any way.
Rather than develop a sense of right and wrong, they are taught to fear punishment and therefore are rudderless and clueless when left to their own devices.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:13 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Hard to tell if this is normal without knowing what slur your child called someone.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:14 AM

Sped I had to google it...the school did not allow for the kids to come together to work it out and make peace. If it's reported and you are found guilty, the school keeps a record to see if it becomes a pattern. You'll also get a letter, a formality, with school's lawyers name on it. The ACT applies to kids from Pre-K to 12. I get it...with youth suicides, depression, social media creating exclusiveness, I get it but I disagree with the school disciplining my child. Schools have to cover their ass too god forbid something tragic does happen. Yup zero tolerance I get it...but from pre-k???? Name calling is not what it used to be and its up to each school to enforce it now. I can tell you the headmaster did say suspensions are up significantly since this ACT was put in place.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:50 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafala View Post
Sped I had to google it...the school did not allow for the kids to come together to work it out and make peace. If it's reported and you are found guilty, the school keeps a record to see if it becomes a pattern. You'll also get a letter, a formality, with school's lawyers name on it. The ACT applies to kids from Pre-K to 12. I get it...with youth suicides, depression, social media creating exclusiveness, I get it but I disagree with the school disciplining my child. Schools have to cover their ass too god forbid something tragic does happen. Yup zero tolerance I get it...but from pre-k???? Name calling is not what it used to be and its up to each school to enforce it now. I can tell you the headmaster did say suspensions are up significantly since this ACT was put in place.
Schools discipline kids because a lot of parents don't:
Quote:
I would of handed down my own punishment but now I'm finding myself angry with the school and should have my child's back
Getting in trouble at school never stopped my parents from piling on the punishment at home.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:14 AM

We discipline the old school way and I don't tolerate kids calling and having no phone manners or coming over and not greeting the parents.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:22 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Yup zero tolerance I get it...but from pre-k????

What grade is your child in? I understand he called another child a "sped" (which means "Special Ed.") but was it used as a general insult, is the other child really in Special Ed, or are they both in Special Ed?

Old 02-04-2016, 12:01 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,073 times
I don't have a problem with the law. Don't want your child disciplined by the school? Teach your kid to behave while there. Doesn't seem too tough.

I think it's great that the OP experienced this and came out a thick-skinned person, but not everybody did. Some may have internalized the name-calling, turned away from education altogether.

I don't live in NY but at my kids' school, name-calling and bullying isn't tolerated, and there are consequences when it does occur. No, they do not suspend a kindergartener for calling someone a butthead. There is still some common sense and discretion involved, but they don't just shrug it off either, and I am glad about that.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:32 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Your 6th grader is certainly old enough to realize what he was saying. I agree with the punishment.

When my kids were in elementary school, they used peer mediation. Those who applied and were selected went through a training program, after which they were assigned, in teams of two, to sit down with the fighting classmates. It worked very well for normal squabbles, but it was never applied for spec ed students. They had, and deserved, zero tolerance support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education