U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2016, 08:06 PM

23 posts, read 13,460 times

Advertisements

http://jezebel.com/5979805/honestly-...-messes-you-up

Is it time to change P.E.?

Personally I think this practice teaches students that winning is the only thing that matters rather than building skills in teamwork and cooperation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 08:18 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,490,715 times
Since that three year old article even states "There are no statistics on how many P.E. teachers allow kids to pick their own teams"... I would say it is not much of an issue.

My kids' school mainly counted off to select teams.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:36 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,038,401 times
I thought pick your own teams went out long long ago.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:10 PM

6,767 posts, read 3,669,149 times
Sad this happened. Sadder still that it continues to happen in schools. I was the one picked last and then the captains would argue who had to take me. Grew up hating anything athletic so it wasn't until I got to college that I learned I wasn't half bad.

Since then I have coached a lot of youth sports -- soccer, softball, baseball. What's really bad is I see a lot of adults still doing the same "picking" as the kids. At seven one kid happens to be bigger, stronger, faster than the others, so the "coach" puts him in more and he gets more play time. Everyone believes he's the top athlete. But he never really learns/is taught actual skills. So about age 15 the other kids catch up in physical ability the star isn't so much anymore. But how many kids never get the chance because some coach or PE teacher decides that kid is no athlete when they're just seven years old?

Old 02-06-2016, 06:14 PM

12,266 posts, read 15,133,445 times
Physical Education should be to encourage fitness. Teach strength and endurance, coordination.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:42 PM

12,605 posts, read 28,027,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFan909 View Post
Being the Last One Picked in Gym Class Really Messes You Up

Is it time to change P.E.?

Personally I think this practice teaches students that winning is the only thing that matters rather than building skills in teamwork and cooperation.
Lots of schools have changed it. Our schools all emphasize how to improve yourself and they have all kinds of activities like yoga, pilates, rock climbing wall, gym equipment. They still do some team sports but the kids don't pick the teams.

There is no national mandate about PE in schools - they all do it differently.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:58 PM

16,902 posts, read 17,209,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
I thought pick your own teams went out long long ago.

I started teaching in 1975, and even way back then in dinosaur times, we were taught not to have team captains pick teams. I am not saying that it did not happen occasionally, or it did not happen in certain schools or in certain communities, but it was emphasized at the University where I trained in the early 70s that it was not a valid educational practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or