Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 12:26 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I thought that the national guidelines are firm on needing a 3.5 minimum grade point. And, the national guidelines certainly do not allow them to admit or keep students with "terrible behavior". Someone should report your school to the national office. How about you?

Even though I did not qualify for NHS myself, while I had a 3.6 I was not in the top ten percent of my class so I was not "invited" to apply by the faculty committee, it really irritates me when other schools do not follow the national guidelines.
I looked up that national guidelines. Each school is obviously free to set standards above what's listed, but the minimum set by the national organization is 3.0, B, or 85 average.
https://www.nhs.us/students/membersh...ecome-a-member
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 09:23 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I looked up that national guidelines. Each school is obviously free to set standards above what's listed, but the minimum set by the national organization is 3.0, B, or 85 average.
I stand corrected. The HSs that I know all use 3.5 and I had believed that it was the national minimum grade point.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:06 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,708,779 times
Quote:
That's crazy low. A 3.0 isn't bad, but it certainly isn't honors worthy.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:09 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
That's crazy low. A 3.0 isn't bad, but it certainly isn't honors worthy.

Yet, strangely enough, we had a Valedictorian a few years ago who had a 3.2. That was with her weighted AP grades. Overall a very pathetic graduating class.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:14 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yet, strangely enough, we had a Valedictorian a few years ago who had a 3.2. That was with her weighted AP grades. Overall a very pathetic graduating class.
I think it depends on the school. The private school I worked at had an average GPA of 3.1, I think, but their average ACT was around 28 and 100% of their grads go to college. So, in some cases, it could just be a case of a school where grade inflation doesn't exist.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:31 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
I think it depends on the school. The private school I worked at had an average GPA of 3.1, I think, but their average ACT was around 28 and 100% of their grads go to college. So, in some cases, it could just be a case of a school where grade inflation doesn't exist.

No grade inflation was not an issue at my school.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:00 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,286,731 times
My son decided to not do it this year. The gpa requirement is a 3.75 and he decided his actual gpa was too close to that number and he didn't want pressure if his grades slip next year when he has even harder classes. He filled out the form so he can be asked again next year if his gpa is high enough.

Grade inflation possibly means a couple of different things. Our school has a majority of high achieving students from successful families. There are kids that take every possible AP class they can to get their gpa's above a 4.0 because the AP classes are a 5.0 on a 4.0 scale. You can have a 4.0 because you took regular classes and had all A's or you took advanced classes and made B's. This school is an anomaly. A top 10% student at this particular probably has above a 4.0 gpa because the kids are so focused on academics.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:02 AM

99 posts, read 102,319 times
I did NHS in high school and I say it depends where he wants to go to college. The college I am in, I could've gotten in just as easily without NHS. When I was in the honor society, it didn't feel that "special." Our service activities were standing outside a grocery store 8 hours a day on weekends asking for donations. If he has other extracurriculars, and feels like he can get into several colleges that he wants to, then it's more the choice of if you want to do the activities/time commitment.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:25 AM

171 posts, read 165,501 times
Honestly? It was just a pain for me. It didn't help me at all and just made me do volunteer work to stay in and fundraising stuff I didn't want to do at the time (I was the type to hate doing anything extra related to school back then.)

I got 2 years of free college from scholarships I got while in college and not from anything I did in high school.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:23 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,062 times
GPA is only part of the equation. The purpose is to support scholarship, leadership, service, and character. NHS is looking for those characteristics, but more important they develop them. It's not all about competition for college entrance. It's also about teaching young people to value service to others, taking on leadership roles, and doing the right thing even when it's not the easy thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education