Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 09:48 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Which are usually reflected in the test scores.
And then you can download the state data on a school which gives further details such as poverty, racial breakdown, percentage that had to retake tests.

But the scores are usually the first thing you look at.
Not me (obviously lol). I look at what's offered, how the school functions during the day if I can, and talk to people whose kids go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What a judgmental comment (towards me). I was simply reporting what happened and my response. The same tired memes. You don't know why the other parents weren't there.

Some stats on mulitple job holders. They may surprise you.
States Where the Most People Work Two Jobs - 24/7 Wall St.
Let's see:

Working
Other kids
Lack of transportation
Not living through every thing their kids do
Who knows...

My experience is sometimes the parents make it, sometimes they don't. They don't love their children any less than you do.

I can also tell you that his coach lives in the suburbs and knowing him through our other kids' activities, he's constantly asked "why he still coaches there". Well, he loves it. The kids are great and not quoting what their private coaches or AAU coaches think he should do, and few parents complain about playing time to him. Tradeoffs.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:48 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
I know.

Agree with the first sentence of the last paragraph. However, plenty of good has come out of "failing" schools and I would never give up hope. Telling kids they have "no shot" is awful. Also, charters schools are NOT the answer because 1) They aren't under public control and taxpayers have no oversight. Many financial scandals lately with them. 2) We are finding more evidence that they aren't getting it done - only one in five do AS WELL as public schools 3) All they do is get rid of bad kids and send them back to the public schools 4) Unions fight them because they devalue the teaching profession and simply aren't good for kids and public education in general. People involved in charter schools are merely business investors looking for the public to take the risk.

It amazes me that inner city public school teachers have realized the ignored problems of poverty for years and the reform industry has pumped their brand by not only ignoring it but exploiting it and blaming teachers.

Its funny that you ascribe such venal notions to charter schools yet totally buy the unthinking union line when union interest cannot ever be co-extensive with student's interests.

"We" aren't finding anything like you state about charter schools. God forbid you should actually look at the data from sources without the same agenda as your own anti-charter vehemence. Upper middle class white parents in NYC are fighting charters that are successfully teaching majority black and Hispanic because of their own pedagogical and political beliefs, not because of whats happening to the kids. Plus they condescend and patronize to the black and hispanic parents of kids in those charter schools. Its stomach turning.

And considering the amount of pensions funding and hundreds of millions of dollars paid into NYC traditional public schools yet getting a 60% graduation rate or less for decades it is just outright comical that you would say that its just charters looking for the public to take the risk. The public have been taking the risk on self-interested unionized schools (hundreds of million in union dues lobbying in Albany) for decades and they have lost, big time. People like you not saying anything until you could cobble together a Wall St. enemy out of the mess when others not satisfied with continual failure came along to fix it in a different way. Blinded by ideology and fundamental attribution error, condemn more and more black and Hispanic kids in NYC every year to failing schools - and I mean really failing schools, including those that even the present ultra-progressive administration eventually admits should be closed.

Not that it makes any difference, you'll only look at the "data" that supports your views. Its not NYC kids you are interested for, because political ideology that trumps that for you.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Its funny that you ascribe such venal notions to charter schools yet totally buy the unthinking union line when union interest cannot ever be co-extensive with student's interests.

"We" aren't finding anything like you state about charter schools. God forbid you should actually look at the data from sources without the same agenda as your own anti-charter vehemence. Upper middle class white parents in NYC are fighting charters that are successfully teaching majority black and Hispanic because of their own pedagogical and political beliefs, not because of whats happening to the kids. Plus they condescend and patronize to the black and hispanic parents of kids in those charter schools. Its stomach turning.

And considering the amount of pensions funding and hundreds of millions of dollars paid into NYC traditional public schools yet getting a 60% graduation rate or less for decades it is just outright comical that you would say that its just charters looking for the public to take the risk. The public have been taking the risk on self-interested unionized schools (hundreds of million in union dues lobbying in Albany) for decades and they have lost, big time. People like you not saying anything until you could cobble together a Wall St. enemy out of the mess when others not satisfied with continual failure came along to fix it in a different way. Blinded by ideology and fundamental attribution error, condemn more and more black and Hispanic kids in NYC every year to failing schools - and I mean really failing schools, including those that even the present ultra-progressive administration eventually admits should be closed.

Not that it makes any difference, you'll only look at the "data" that supports your views. Its not NYC kids you are interested for, because political ideology that trumps that for you.
This post is complete BS. No other words for it. I can't help you if you have drunk the charter kool-aid, believe unions are the root of everthing wrong with society, and refuse to see what is truly going on. Charters and ed reformers depend on ignorant people like you. From someone who likely has never walked into what is considered a "failing" school, I should expect naivety. Eventually, the charter investors will move onto some other Madoff like scheme, but something tells me you won't get it.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:22 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post

"We" aren't finding anything like you state about charter schools. God forbid you should actually look at the data from sources without the same agenda as your own anti-charter vehemence. Upper middle class white parents in NYC are fighting charters that are successfully teaching majority black and Hispanic because of their own pedagogical and political beliefs, not because of whats happening to the kids. Plus they condescend and patronize to the black and hispanic parents of kids in thodrse charter schools. Its stomach turning.

Looks like I end up on the same side as AMSS for once. The data on chàrters is mixed but mostly bad. Here the chàrters in the minority communities are dismal with perhaps one exception. There are successful chàrters but guess what? 25% minority and locàted in nice àreas. What we really have is private schools with public funding.

Last edited by lvoc; 03-08-2016 at 05:37 PM..

Old 03-08-2016, 05:04 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
The point is the data is faulty. Going by test scores without considering socioeconomics and environmental factors is misleading. The new tests and evaulation systems are so bad (and designed by people intent on privatizing education) that it's practically a crime of ignorance to use that data.
If the point is that the data is faulty, you can't blame that on the parents doing research.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
If the point is that the data is faulty, you can't blame that on the parents doing research.
It's whether you choose that faulty data as the criteria. While I can't blame parents for investigating schools, I honestly don't think you'll know until you go and see the school for yourself. I think a lot of people base their decisions on fear...fear that ends up being overblown. Just my take though. My son is at the point where he wants to pat people on the head when they ask him if he "is ok" when they find out where he goes to school. I should follow his lead.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
DD

Looks like I end up on the same side as AMSS for once. The data on chàrters is mixed but mostly bad. Here the chàrters in the minority communities are dismal with perhaps one exception. There are successful chàrters but guess what? 25% minority and locàted in nice àreas. What we really have is private schools with public funding.
It may be temporary, but not such a bad place. When I complain about charters, I never touch on the ones in nice areas, but I've heard a lot lately about Hoboken, NJ where the charters are becoming exactly what you said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education