U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-15-2009, 02:01 PM

25,105 posts, read 23,014,328 times
Home school the child with the allergies.

Problem solved

Old 01-15-2009, 02:04 PM

8,410 posts, read 9,195,709 times
Next thing you know they'll want to do away dodge ball!

Old 01-15-2009, 02:48 PM

14,874 posts, read 21,752,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Next thing you know they'll want to do away dodge ball!
Honey, they did that a LONG time ago. Most schools have even gotten rid of SWINGSETS and SLIDES!

I say we just put a padded room in every house, pad all of the classrooms, wrap all of the kids in bio-friendly, non-allergenic bubble wrap, hook them all up to their own individual oxygen supply, feeding tubes and be done w/ it.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:07 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,657,113 times
No, what I was suggesting was for those kids that can't afford anything else, still be allowed to bring their peanut products to school, but eat them in a designated area.Not letting them roam the halls and the classrooms and letting them eat it wherever.(Again from a previous post) Of course, this was for the schools that have banned it. And it IS sometimes a punishment for the allergic child to eat at the designated table, because a lot of times, the schools only have one table set aside, and this is also where they sit the kids being punished. (look at some of the previous posts)

Homeschooling is not the answer, and I keep hearing about how it's not FAIR to the unallergic child to restrict their diet, so how is it fair to make the allergic child stay home? I will say this one more time, I'm trying to find a COMPROMISE. But obviously, all you people want to do is give smart alec answers and skirt the issues, not actually come up with a solution of any kind. Once again, you can CHOOSE what to send in your kids lunch, you can CHOOSE to be vegan, you can CHOOSE to have a swimming pool, you can CHOOSE a million different things, however you can NOT CHOOSE to NOT be allergic to peanuts. ANY death of ANY child, no matter the cause is reason for concern. We take preacautions around our swimming pools, swingsets have saftety guidelines, you can't even smoke on school properties, or in a lot of public places anymore, but be damned if you try to take away the peanut?!!

Old 01-15-2009, 05:38 PM

10,031 posts, read 15,393,114 times
Happeemommee, I hear what you are saying and agree with you, but I don't think you are going to change anyone's mind here.

Something I find interesting is all the children that must love peanut butter and jelly. Of my three kids, only one likes pb&J sandwiches. My oldest son actually dislikes peanut butter. I don't like sandwiches and can't even tell you when the last time was I had one. If peanut butter was not an option, something else would be found.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:46 PM

25,105 posts, read 23,014,328 times
I LOVE PB+J! Gotta have the Chunky kind - add a banana once in a while also.

A school in my area - has a 900+ student body. 1 student allegedly had an allergy to nuts. The childs parent "demanded" the school go nut free. The Principal caved in. The parents of the other 899 kids however literally descended on the school -

PB+J is now allowed once again.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:28 PM

5,550 posts, read 8,319,813 times
ugh, this topic again! I feel like it's been debated for months, across 3+ threads and two different forums! I wouldn't even have bothered replying and debating this again, but I'd rather see this thread on top than the weird "I am Chinese People!" thread on top

I don't understand the difference between setting up a designated "peanut free" table/zone and setting up a designated "peanut only" zone? happeemommee, could you explain it to me, b/c in the end, it seems like you still end up w/ two areas, one w/ peanuts, and one w/o peanuts. and why is it punishment for the allergic kid to be placed at a designated table, but not punishment for the non allergic kids to be placed at a designated table.

FIRST thing to do is to STOP THINKING OF IT AS PUNISHMENT! don't insinuate it as punishment to your kids. it's a precaution to keep them safe, nothing more, nothing less. would you insinuate that wearing a seatbelt or a bike helmet is punishment? find ways to make it better. ask the parents of your child's friends to pack peanut free lunches. chances are, they may agree to preserve the friendship and keep your child happy (I've said multiple times on this thread that, though I'm anti-peanut ban, I'd say yes if a parent came up to me and ask me to pack a peanut free lunch so my kid could sit w/ her kid). ask teachers to make the environment more pleasing to these kids so that even kids w/o allergies may be willing to forgo a PB&J sandwich to sit at that table. if there's only one table that serves the dual purpose of "peanut free table" and "time out table", well than, talk to your school about this and ask that they get another table, esp. since everyone is so worried about PB residue!

it is MUCH easier to separate out kids w/ allergies than kids w/o since kids w/ allergies are a very small minority, hence why it's easier to create peanut free tables. kids w/ allergies are still in the minority, and, sooner or later, will need to realize that they are not like other people and, due to health reasons, may not be able to do all the things kids w/o allergies can do. and the parents of kids w/ allergies need to realize this too and that sometimes, they can't force everyone to bend to their will

Old 01-15-2009, 08:19 PM

14,874 posts, read 21,752,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
No, what I was suggesting was for those kids that can't afford anything else, still be allowed to bring their peanut products to school, but eat them in a designated area.
GREAT! Now you have created a seperate table for the POOR KIDS!!! Sure, make them the ones that are the scapegoats now. Like THEY are not going to get harrassed to no end by every other kid in school because it will now be labeled the:
"My Family is Poor and can ONLY afford Peanut Butter" table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
ugh, this topic again!

I don't understand the difference between setting up a designated "peanut free" table/zone and setting up a designated "peanut only" zone? happeemommee, could you explain it to me, b/c in the end, it seems like you still end up w/ two areas, one w/ peanuts, and one w/o peanuts. and why is it punishment for the allergic kid to be placed at a designated table, but not punishment for the non allergic kids to be placed at a designated table.

FIRST thing to do is to STOP THINKING OF IT AS PUNISHMENT!
it is MUCH easier to separate out kids w/ allergies than kids w/o since kids w/ allergies are a very small minority,

I thought the same thing when I saw it and KNEW to avoid it. ((( hitting head on wall)))))

No, now we have the OTHER two tables:
1. My family has money and can afford to send me to school with things OTHER than Peanut Butter and/or I have "refined" tastes and PB is just gross.
2. The poor kids table and the family can only afford Peanut Butter.
Got it This gets the kids w/ the peanut allergies off the hook and everyone can make fun of the "poor kids" now.

Yes, I agree.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:35 PM

1,986 posts, read 2,327,693 times
It's an attitude that all parents of peanut allergy kids have; 'My kid can't have it so yours shouldn't either'.

Banning peanut butter and peanut products doesn't stop at the typical PB&J sandwich. We use peanut butter in a variety of baked goods and in different recipes as well. We put it in no-bake cookies, fudge, frosting on cake, peanut butter cookies, all kinds of things. That would mean these parents who want to decide what other families eat would end the use of peanut butter in ALL things.

Peanuts are in store-bought treats (PB cups, Snickers, PayDay, Mr.Goodbar, the list is endless). Are normal kids to be kept from touching a candy wrapper or refrain from eating an item so an allergic kid won't come in contact with any essence of peanuts on a doorknob, etc.?

What about the families that cook with peanut oil??? Wow, that would be a big one.

It seems that parents of peanut allergic children want to dictate what everybody else eats, but if they were allowed to do that, there would be no boundaries.

Let's see...

If my child came in contact with a bullet, he/she would die therefore, I think ALL homes should be gun free so no child could possibly bring one to school and shoot my child. Same rationale.

My child is afraid of dogs, therefore, I think NO ONE should have a dog so my child can wander the community without fear of coming in contact with a dog (Let's see THAT one fly). Same rationale.

My child would die if ran over by a car, therefore, NO ONE should own or drive a car, truck , SUV, or anything on wheels because if my child should run out into the street he/she would get hit. Same rationale.

My child has a peanut allergy, therefore NO ONE who may come in contact with him/her should eat any peanut product at school, in the community or at their own home because people touch doorknobs, handrails on schoolbuses, table tops, drinking fountain handles, etc., and my child should be able to touch those things without fear of coming in contact with residue of peanuts.

You get my point.

It's simply outlandish that parents of peanut allergic children would think they have any business dictating what other families eat.

Is it my business to tell you what you should be driving? Of course not.

Is it my business to tell you whether or not you should own a firearem? Of course not.

Is it my business to tell you whether or not you should own a dog? Of course not.

Is it my business to tell you what to eat or not to eat? Of course not.

It isn't up to parents of allergic children to decide we ALL should eat hommus, or guacamole or apple butter, or anything else as alternatives. It just plain isn't their business. Nor is their business to decide where my children should sit in school or in the cafeteria while eating what I choose to send with them for lunch.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:47 AM

613 posts, read 440,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post

Let's see...

If my child came in contact with a bullet, he/she would die therefore, I think ALL homes should be gun free so no child could possibly bring one to school and shoot my child. Same rationale.
It's not the same rationale, as no one is telling you that you may not have peanut butter in your home. However, peanut butter is deadly for some kids, therefore the school may not allow children to bring and eat peanut butter in the classroom, just as a children are not allowed to bring guns to school.

Quote:
My child is afraid of dogs, therefore, I think NO ONE should have a dog so my child can wander the community without fear of coming in contact with a dog (Let's see THAT one fly). Same rationale.
That is why most communities have a leash law, so that dog owner's are responsible owners and should be careful to keep their dog contained so as not to harm another animal or human being. Does that guarantee 100% that someone's dog will not escape and hurt or even kill someone? No, but precautions must be taken. Same with peanut butter. The school's can never guarantee 100% that a child at school won't come in contact with peanut butter and die, but precautions are taken to make the likelihood of that event much, much smaller.

Quote:
My child would die if ran over by a car, therefore, NO ONE should own or drive a car, truck , SUV, or anything on wheels because if my child should run out into the street he/she would get hit. Same rationale.
Driving is a privilege, not a right, and as such car owners are expected to use reasonable care by being fully aware and alert to their surroundings while operating a vehicle. In most cases, even if the child runs into the street, the driver is at fault.

We all take care to teach our children to watch for cars, not to run into the street, to look both ways before crossing, etc. However, your child can play on the sidewalk with a reasonable expectation that he/she will not be hit since cars are not allowed on the sidewalk. Again, no guarantees, but you get the picture.
Parent's of allergic children also teach their kids to read labels, not to accept food from others, to inform adults and children of their allergies, etc. Keeping peanut butter out of the classroom is like keeping cars off the sidewalk. There is still no guarantee that grandma may unknowingly send in a peanut butter sandwich as she does not the child's daily caretaker, but still the risk is much, much less by keeping peanut butter out of the classroom.

Quote:
My child has a peanut allergy, therefore NO ONE who may come in contact with him/her should eat any peanut product at school, in the community or at their own home because people touch doorknobs, handrails on schoolbuses, table tops, drinking fountain handles, etc., and my child should be able to touch those things without fear of coming in contact with residue of peanuts.
Again, no one is dictating what a child can and can not eat in their home or away from school, and in most cases what the child eats in the cafeteria. But schools DO have a legal responsibility to keep ALL children safe, and a peanut free classroom is one way in which they do this.

As for a complete peanut ban in an entire school, that would be circumstantial. In my district, that would be unreasonable as we are a very HUGE district and it would be impossible to completely ban. Also, if a 1st grader is allergic, I don't see why the upper grades would have to ban peanuts from their classrooms. However, a case where a complete ban might make sense is in a school that is only K-3, as young children are not able to advocate for themselves as well as older children and the risk of peanut exposure would be greater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.