Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:12 AM

901 posts, read 2,988,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I stil don't get the point about peanut butter being the only alternative sandwich. Any child that is being raised vegan would certainly be used to tempeh and tofu, hummus and garbanzo bean spreads and all the other protein-rich alternatives. There are veggies wraps, and chicken-less strips. Just pretend that there wasn't peanut butter, is it really that hard to come up with alternatives? I know many adult vegans and peanut butter is not an everyday food.

If my youngest son had a classmate with a peanut butter allergy, I would have no problem giving him something else everyday for the school year. My middle child dislikes peanut butter and ate a bagel through his school years.

I don't neccessarily think that the people that want to send in pb&j sandwiches are being selfish, I think it's that this conversation is happening on a bulletin board and not IRL. In real life, if you knew a child that was a classmate of a friends could potentially die because their allergy was that serious, would you really say, "I don't care. My child needs their peanut butter and jelly!" ?
The point is that many of the alternatives are very expensive. People are struggling. I eat PB myself because it is cheap and quick. Food is super expensive. My food bill is so much higher than it was a year or two ago.

Since children usually don't eat in the classroom, it don't see how it is so dangerous.

Lastly, the problem was that someone said that everyone in the school is selfish because they send their children with PB. That was a silly statement. Honestly, children in other grades and classes may not have been informed. How is that selfish?

Old 01-17-2009, 11:14 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
Who are you referring to?
it was a comment implied way back when the thread was originally active (you may have to go back several pages)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post

I don't neccessarily think that the people that want to send in pb&j sandwiches are being selfish, I think it's that this conversation is happening on a bulletin board and not IRL. In real life, if you knew a child that was a classmate of a friends could potentially die because their allergy was that serious, would you really say, "I don't care. My child needs their peanut butter and jelly!" ?
I'd say "I'm sympathetic to your child's needs, but I need to feed my child whatever nutrients he or she needs and can't always afford the expensive alternatives that my child may not like or enjoy as much as a PB&J sandwich. I'll do my best, but there will be days that is what I will pack my child for lunch, so you will need to teach your child not to eat the foods of other children and I will teach my child to wash their hands and be careful around their classmates on days they have PB for lunch."

Old 01-17-2009, 11:31 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
Hold on there, I never asked anyone not to bring PB to school. I don't condemn parents who send the kids to school with PB.
I grew up in a household with a severely asthmatic sibling. I understand that it is difficult, but there was nothing that the other students did in school to put her in a dangerous situation.
Please don't misunderstand, I am not, nor are my kids, victims in any way. We are quite a fortunate family. We are healthy, wealthy and happy.
For those folks who can't afford to eat anything but PB, I understand, I truly do. There are plenty of other choices though, so lets not get into the excuses game. Bottom line, your kids like PB, its cheap and easy, so thats what they get.
But, my contention that these most of these parents are also selfish. I really don't care what you do or say, it is my opinion. You have your own, good for you.
This is a message board, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am sure that those who oppose peanut free are really nice people. We just don't share the same point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
you still seem to be implying that parents who send their kids to school w/ PB are selfish. ever think that maybe, just maybe, they are simply trying to feed their own kids the best thing they can? even if they know another child is allergic, what can a parent on limited financial/dietary means do about it? you expect these parents to bend over backwards and scrounge up the cash for a $5 jar of Sunbutter so your kid will remain safe?

okay, we'll go along w/ you. all the vegetarian parents are being so selfish and self absorbed by giving their vegetarian kids PB and should start eating meat so they can instead bring in bologna. all the Buddhist parents like Zugzub are being selfish and self absorbed by sticking to their religious convictions and their kids should start eating turkey sandwiches instead of PB. any Asian parents that cook w/peanut oil and give their kids leftovers are being selfish and self absorbed and should either cook non-traditional foods for their kids or don't provide costs saving leftovers to them. b/c anyone that brings peanuts to school is being a horrible, selfish human being, religion, culture, and dietary needs be damned!

I know you have this victim mentality going on here, far be it for me to intrude on it, but ever think that maybe parents who are aware of peanuts allergies aren't sending in PB&J sandwiches out of spite and a desire to hurt your child, but b/c they don't have many/any other choices? (forget about that one poster who kind of stated otherwise, not everyone thinks that way). to imply that these parents are being self absorbed and selfish is pure BS and it's thinking like that that leads many people to not have much sympathy for parents like you, the type of parents that want to bend others to their will and condemn those that won't bend

Old 01-17-2009, 02:28 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
It isn't that kids just have to have that PB sandwich, although some do; people put peanut butter in cookies and a lot of other things, and a lot of people cook with peanut oil. There are peanuts in many, many products.

theS5, and all others who think we are monsters because we argue against banning peanut butter: Peanuts and peanut products are everywhere. My household should not have to read labels for someone else's kids. Giving up peanut butter sandwiches is only the tip of the iceberg. I am not willing to go that distance when it isn't necessary.

Those who are allergic should take steps to protect themselves. Children should be taught from an early age to avoid what they are allergic to, as diabetics do and others who are allergic to shellfish, etc. (both mentioned in previous posts), not be so dependent on everybody else to do such close monitoring.

If we were to take precautions for everybody with allergies, etc., we would be avoiding dairy products, shellfish, sugars, peanuts and peanut products, glutin products, countless things we consume every day. Where would it stop? Where should we draw the line? We have heard it stressed here very plainly that the line should be drawn AFTER peanuts and disregard everybody else's problems. To me, THAT's as selfish as one can get.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:30 PM

Read my post again, I stated that parents are selfish, NOT KIDS. I should be more specific and say that parents who are aware of peanut allergies in class.
"I don't see how it is so dangerous" is a statement that reveals your lack of understanding.

Quote:
The point is that many of the alternatives are very expensive. People are struggling. I eat PB myself because it is cheap and quick. Food is super expensive. My food bill is so much higher than it was a year or two ago.

Since children usually don't eat in the classroom, it don't see how it is so dangerous.

Lastly, the problem was that someone said that everyone in the school is selfish because they send their children with PB. That was a silly statement. Honestly, children in other grades and classes may not have been informed. How is that selfish?

Old 01-17-2009, 05:37 PM

READ MY POST AGAIN. I am not advocating not bringing pb into school.
I don't give a crap what you or your kids eat.
I made a simple observation that parents who are aware of kids with peanut allergies and make statements like you have below are selfish. In fact, the definition of selfish. If you don't like the statement, too bad.
My kids do not feel like they are missing anything. In fact, being allergic has taught them responsibility and respect for others with allergies or physical limitations.
If you had a child with PB allergies you would be well aware of products that contain peanuts. There is really no need to inform us that many products contain peanuts.

Lastly, I also stated in a previous post that I don't think that these people are bad, in fact, bet that they are pretty nice. My contention that they are selfish doesn't change though.
BTW, there are quite a few instances in my life where I am selfish, but the safety of children is not one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
It isn't that kids just have to have that PB sandwich, although some do; people put peanut butter in cookies and a lot of other things, and a lot of people cook with peanut oil. There are peanuts in many, many products.

theS5, and all others who think we are monsters because we argue against banning peanut butter: Peanuts and peanut products are everywhere. My household should not have to read labels for someone else's kids. Giving up peanut butter sandwiches is only the tip of the iceberg. I am not willing to go that distance when it isn't necessary.

Those who are allergic should take steps to protect themselves. Children should be taught from an early age to avoid what they are allergic to, as diabetics do and others who are allergic to shellfish, etc. (both mentioned in previous posts), not be so dependent on everybody else to do such close monitoring.

If we were to take precautions for everybody with allergies, etc., we would be avoiding dairy products, shellfish, sugars, peanuts and peanut products, glutin products, countless things we consume every day. Where would it stop? Where should we draw the line? We have heard it stressed here very plainly that the line should be drawn AFTER peanuts and disregard everybody else's problems. To me, THAT's as selfish as one can get.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:45 PM

Sam, I agree with most everything that you have stated below.
One thing that I don't agree with is how some parents will send their kids in with pb just to make a statement that no one is going to tell them what to do. I have seen it first hand and handled the situation appropriately.

Quote:
I think that this argument is not going to be resolved.

In these hard times, parents are struggling to feed their children. PB is a low cost and easy food for parents to give their children. It is their choice. Parents with allergic children have no right what to tell other parents what to feed their children. They do have a right to request that their own children be accomodated. As it has been stated over and over again, peanut free tables in the caf seems fair. If snack is traditionally served in the classroom, they should probably be able to take the students to the caf during snack or come to some other compromise.

Parents are trying to feed their own children, why would they be trying to sneak in food to allergic children? Why would they care? That just does not sound logical?

Old 01-17-2009, 05:48 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Please, no name calling. Those posts will be deleted.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:57 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
"I don't see how it is so dangerous" is a statement that reveals your lack of understanding.
Did you read my post? I said that if the all children are not eating anything in the classroom (including peanuts), how can there be danger? There would be no food to contaminate anything.

I think that you are the one who does not understand.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:04 PM

Sam,
Peanut butter remains on kids hands and on clothing. I don't think that schools are diligent in making sure that the kids wash their hands after eating. When they return to class, they share the same table, pencils etc...
For some allergic kids, its enough to cause an anaphalactic reaction.
Sorry Sam, but as a Dad of a child with the allergy, I am quite informed.

Quote:
Did you read my post? I said that if the all children are not eating anything in the classroom (including peanuts), how can there be danger? There would be no food to contaminate anything.

I think that you are the one who does not understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education