U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:43 PM

7,131 posts, read 4,475,791 times

Advertisements

My older two will be starting a grade acceleration program through their charter school in August. They will complete two grades a year. They completed all of their grade-level coursework in 4-5 months and have moved on to the next set of curriculum. The oldest will DE next school year, and my middle daughter the year after. They'll be 16.5 and 15.5 when they're finished.

Our district doesn't offer traditional grade acceleration. They have GATE and IB programs. We pulled the oldest from the IB program because it wasn't challenging enough and she was getting bored. She was excited at first because her teachers at her old school kept hyping it up as more rigorous and all that jazz. She loved her Mandarin class and enjoyed science for the most part because she liked her teacher, but the material was too easy in all but Mandarin. The IBDP is rigorous compared to the MYP, but why wait until 12th grade to study epistemology and other HL courses when you're perfectly capable of studying it now? So that's what she's doing. Her first elective is psychology with a focus on EQ and she's already reading philosophy books in her spare time. She'll take on logic next year. My background is heavy on humanities and social sciences, which she breezes through with ease, and she's very strong in math and science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:27 PM

7,826 posts, read 8,645,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
While you're concerned with a small group of kids, as an educator I had to be concerned with all children. The school where I was principal had what many considered to be the finest GT program in the state of the Virginia...and a damned good special ed program...and a top notch ESOL program. If you want something truly special and unique for special and unique kids, then open a private school. Meanwhile, the rest of us will concern ourselves will educating all American children.
You've made much of my point nicely. You were responsible for educating all pupils in your charge. My wife and I were responsible for our two kids only.

Luckily here in North Dallas we have an enviable suite of exceptional private schools. When the public school I mentioned put our son in a proverbial choke-hold vis a vis math we moved him to one. FWIIW the public school he attended is part on an exceptional district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or