U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 01:08 PM

15,372 posts, read 25,606,362 times

Advertisements

I skipped from 7th to 9th grade and don't suggest it. I ended up leaving my friends back in Jr. High. Around here the Jr. High's, which are all not middle schools, have grad night at Magic Mountain. I did not go because I did not know anyone. Back then i was kind of quiet and I felt that I missed out on that. I missed out on the social aspect my first year of High School. Looking back I would have prefered to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 02:32 PM

143 posts, read 89,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We had a friend whose kid finished high school three years early years then finished college in two years, then got a PHD in three more. He stared a high status, high paying, demanding job that required 70 or more hours a week at age 20. He never had any kind of life. He worked his tail off in advance classes all through school and did not get out at all. Now he is a science drone who does nothing but work on his science stuff. Sure, he may accomplish something great, but he will never live, never experience being human.
Sounds like Sheldon Cooper to me.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:33 PM

1,202 posts, read 748,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
UCLA advised him that the GED was for disadvantaged people. His father contacted the school and asked if they wanted to debate that issue in court. So I met him after he graduated UCLA Law School, with no seeming ill effects from being four years younger than law school graduates who didn't accelerate and didn't take any time off.

A GED is still considered lesser then a high school diploma to a lot businesses and people.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:35 PM

32,156 posts, read 39,250,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
A GED is still considered lesser then a high school diploma to a lot businesses and people.

Which wouldn't have mattered to that particular kid with his UCLA paper.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:38 PM

392 posts, read 439,424 times
From the point of view of the child, I did the fourth and fifth grades in the same year, same school, back in the 60s. The kids in the fourth grade I left behind hated me because I got to go ahead and the kids I joined in the fifth grade hated me because I was a year younger. I ended up being an outcast until I hit high school in the ninth grade and went to a school where nobody knew I was a year younger than them.

Then it came out that I didn't turn 16 until after the eleventh grade, so I couldn't get my license until the summer before I started my senior year. I got to drive to school my senior year and then graduated at 16. I turned 17 two months later.

I didn't go to college as my experiences with school to that point had been basically hell and I just wanted to start living my life. I moved to Florida, but ended up living with my parents since no one would hire a 17-year-old with no experience. I took a medical transcription course and temped for Kelly Girl until I finally landed a job with the state of Florida.

I would NEVER let a child of mine skip a grade...and I was the child, too, that was reading at a third grade or higher level when I started first grade. Remember Look magazine? Yup, I was reading that before I started first grade.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:27 PM

85,020 posts, read 98,892,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
Skipping grades doesn't seem to be all that common today, at least not like it was say 40 or 50 years ago.

The thing is, if your child does skip a grade or two, they might be starting college at 15 or 16.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It was not common then either!

I agree with Pitt Chick. I believe we grew up in the same general area (Pittsburgh) and kids were absolutely NOT skipped when I was a kid, more like 60 years ago now when I started. I do have a friend my age who went to Catholic school who skipped a grade, but in public schools, no.

I have to say, I'm not terribly impressed by one study, either. By even late elementary school, my kids' school allowed kids to skip a math level, and by middle school there was lots of skipping up in certain classes going on. This was back in the mid-late 90s into about 2001 for two kids.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:50 PM

13,439 posts, read 5,227,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortel View Post
But he had a UCLA law degree with top grades, at age 21, at the end of the process.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:04 PM

72,852 posts, read 64,283,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddSteel View Post
The thing is, if you start college at that age than at that age you might not be living with mom and dad, especially if the college you go to is too far away to commute.
What's wrong with that? Sure, the kids live in dorms, like everyone else. Why would that be a problem?

Old 05-11-2016, 08:07 PM

72,852 posts, read 64,283,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I started 1st grade in Sept, 1964. After about a month, they realized that I was bored to death with reading "Dick & Jane" and that I could do math with numbers rather than with "the set of bugs plus the set of fruit" and put me into second grade. Good move.

They got the clue about my reading level when I asked the teacher if I could read to the class a story from a book my mother had recently bought me. I don't think that she was expecting that the story was that of the submarine "Turtle" and that it would start with, "David Bushnell was a mathematician and engineer who lived at the time of the Revolutionary War."
Cool! I'm surprised your mom didn't talk to the school principal upon enrolling you, to let you know you were reading ahead of grade level.

Haha, Dick and Jane. Talk about Memory Lane! I bet they give those books to Kindergarteners now, and 1st grade is more advanced. Seems like kids are getting started much earlier than before. 1st grade has been moved to Kindergarten, and 1st graders are doing what was formerly 2nd grade material, aren't they?

Old 05-11-2016, 09:19 PM

143 posts, read 89,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What's wrong with that? Sure, the kids live in dorms, like everyone else. Why would that be a problem?
There's nothing wrong with that, its just that you're without parents. When you're at school grades k-12 the teachers are in loco parentis which means they're in the place of your parents. Same thing with babysitters. When you're in college though, living in the dorms, you don't have your parents with you and you don't have anybody to take the place of your parents either. You're effectively on your own. Now as for me, Im all for a 15 or 16 year old living like that if they're ready for it but some people might think thats too young for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or