U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 12:19 AM

21 posts, read 21,519 times

Advertisements

Interesting to hear everyone's responses. My question is how does one go about even exploring the grade-skipping option? We have the hi-cap classes in our school district and the math and ELA is supposed to be one grade ahead, but what do you do if a kid is 2-3 grades ahead, based on standardized tests etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 05:39 AM

13,422 posts, read 7,159,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
No grade skipping where I came from. Teachers (my family knew a lot) flat out told my parents that advanced kids would never be skipped there because they inflated the average on the standardized tests. (This was when the tests were getting more and more important.)
What a terrible and self-serving reason to not allow skipping - I would hope as educators that they look at actual research and use that to advise parents.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:42 AM

6,461 posts, read 6,106,582 times
I skipped grades and it made me vulnerable to social issues. I went through puberty much later than most of my peers, and starting university at a young age is tough. I really think increasing the level of difficulty in instruction is better than skipping a grade or two.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:32 AM

359 posts, read 210,541 times
I've thought that grade skipping would be a better strategy for those in rural areas, because 1) The small size of the school would typically make having separate more advanced classes a less viable option and 2) The smaller scale also generally means there is less age-segregation in a small-school environment than with a larger school.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:27 AM

85,020 posts, read 98,892,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armiva View Post
Interesting to hear everyone's responses. My question is how does one go about even exploring the grade-skipping option? We have the hi-cap classes in our school district and the math and ELA is supposed to be one grade ahead, but what do you do if a kid is 2-3 grades ahead, based on standardized tests etc.
Talk to your kid's classroom teacher for starts.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:17 AM

5,023 posts, read 4,565,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
I've thought that grade skipping would be a better strategy for those in rural areas, because 1) The small size of the school would typically make having separate more advanced classes a less viable option and 2) The smaller scale also generally means there is less age-segregation in a small-school environment than with a larger school.
Although, as I said in my post, it can cause problems later on, in high school and especially in college.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:17 AM

9,516 posts, read 14,309,880 times
I'm on a school board. We had a student go through high school in 3 years. She then went though nursing school in 3 years. When her "peers" were finishing their sophomore years at college learning "liberal studies", she had earned over $100,000, bought a house, a nice car and was making big bucks as a traveling nurse.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:57 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,989,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
What a terrible and self-serving reason to not allow skipping - I would hope as educators that they look at actual research and use that to advise parents.
They look at what makes them look best (high scores) and what brings in the most federal money.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:58 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,989,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armiva View Post
Talk to the teacher and if necessary go higher than that. My schools wouldn't offer any alternatives, so the only solution would have been to find a different school. Some schools are better at offering alternatives now, but many are the same.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:26 PM

628 posts, read 445,835 times
All of the studies on grade skipping are old! They were done before the era of zelaous red shirting, when you may be talking of a year difference socially and physically. These days it is very common to have 6.5yo kindergarteners. So the proposed grade skipping of a single grade for my (enrolled on time) son means he would have to dovetail his 7yo self in with 9.5 yo third graders. Thats a huge gap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or