Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 10:15 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,042,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
You guys are blowing the whole sexual harassment thing out of the water. I taught 4th grade for a year. I didn't feel that anyone was obsessively watching for any sexual misconduct, and obviously my behavior did not warrant any scrutiny anyway.

If the pay was better (it starts sub-40k and moves up very slowly for a relatively hard job) and the bureaucratic b.s. not so intense, I think more men might do it. I thought it was great. Being a male teacher in elementary makes you the automatic "authority" figure. In elementary, most of the kids still respect authority and they especially respect male authority. For me it was the combination of bureaucratic b.s. and low pay that convinced me to move on. I could have dealt with one or the other but not both. I couldn't teach the way I wanted.... it was always drill, drill, drill the test... and for the pay it's not worth putting up with that.

Upsides from a work standpoint... you start early but end early... the kids were gone at 2:45 and I'd be done by 4 unless there were some bs meetings or service to attend to. Also the kids were rewarding. This was a "borderline" school, mostly Hispanic & black, but I thought the kids tried hard & most were little sweeties... made me feel good about the world. 4th grade was a good age because they're old enough to have some attention span but young enough to still be susceptible to adult authority, punishments like standing in the corner still motivate them. They're not rebellious for its own sake & hormonal wrecks yet like the middle school pre-teens.

There are also a lot of dating opportunities with newly graduated female teachers; there were like 12-15 of them and 3 single guys that worked in the place.

As for sexual misconduct I'd be much more worried about high school.
For some reason, school districts in urban areas with higher minority populations seem to be more willing to hire male teachers. I wonder if such districts are also less likely to falsely accuse them of sexually harassing students or female colleagues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 02:04 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
In New York, all teachers have education degrees, perhaps in addition to other degrees.
Nope.

They are all CERTIFIED but many of them get certified by having a degree in their field, and then going what is typically called alternate route.

http://teachnyc.net/certification

Alternative Teacher Preparation Program:Preparation Pathways:OTI:NYSED

Alternate Routes to Teaching in New York

"To be eligible for an alternative preparation program, candidates must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree, which should be in the subject area that the candidate intends to teach."

Some 40% of new teachers in the nation do so after getting a degree in something other than education.
Survey: Alternative Teacher Certification on the Rise - Teaching Now - Education Week Teacher

Old 09-01-2016, 06:00 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
I have never experienced any sort of discrimination. My impression is that male teachers are desired in the elementary schools. Every school I did a pre-service experience at offered me a job.

I've had mentors tell me that I would never want for a job.

Female teachers do fall into two categories though. They either love us, or hate us. We aren't the same and we teach differently. We reach kids differently. Just because we don't decorate or host holiday parties doesn't mean we aren't effective.

In ten years of classroom expereince (Pre-k, 3rd, 4th (3 times), 5th (two times), MS/HS (2 years), SPED (1 year sped only, 6 total inclusion) I have only once encountered someone who questioned my ability. Thankfully the data was in my favor (shut them up pretty quick).
My wife teaches upper elementary (6th grade). A parent came through open house today and asked who her daughter would have for math. It's not yet set, but the parent stated that she did not want her daughter to have Mr. ---. When my wife questioned why, the mother said she just wasn't comfortable having a male teach her daughter in elementary school. When my wife said her husband taught a lower grade at another elementary the mother acted surprised and said, "Well...doesn't he have a lot of parents who are concerned about having him as a teacher?".

Old 09-01-2016, 07:44 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
My wife teaches upper elementary (6th grade). A parent came through open house today and asked who her daughter would have for math. It's not yet set, but the parent stated that she did not want her daughter to have Mr. ---. When my wife questioned why, the mother said she just wasn't comfortable having a male teach her daughter in elementary school. When my wife said her husband taught a lower grade at another elementary the mother acted surprised and said, "Well...doesn't he have a lot of parents who are concerned about having him as a teacher?".

I say again - this really, really, really surprises me.

If the teacher is a good teacher he's a good teacher! And neither gender is any more or less "trustworthy," so to speak, than the other...at least IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education