Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 10:05 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times

Advertisements

Here's something I've always been curious about, and as I'm attempting to avoid getting started on my workday, I thought I'd ask here. (It's a question that came up for me again when I saw the male:female HS teacher ratio thread.)

In my experience, there are so many female teachers at the elementary level, practically no male teachers in pre-K, a smattering in middle school and then quite a few in high school. It seems like the higher one goes in grade level, the more male teachers they are, with the inverse obviously being true (again, just in my experience): fewer and fewer male teachers the "younger" one goes.

Why is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 12:36 PM

331 posts, read 369,666 times
As a male HS math teacher, I think it's probably just the perception that men are not as naturally "nurturing" as women are, which is especially important for younger children. You're more directly acting as their parent for the school day. But, that being said, a man with the right qualities can be just as nuturing as a female, especially to boys who don't have very strong father figures.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Men who want to work with young children are all too often held to a higher level of scrutiny than women who wish to do the same thing. This holds true with preschool, early elementary, special ed of any age. Male teachers are at higher risk of being treated with suspicion of being inappropriate or predatory if they have a calling to work with vulnerable populations. I wouldn't want to work in a field where my motives were at risk of being labeled as unsavory and risk having my career torched over such perceptions.

I've worked with many male teachers, and they've all had it drilled into them to be ultra conscious/vigilant about things I wouldn't think twice about.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:13 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrknowitall526 View Post
As a male HS math teacher, I think it's probably just the perception that men are not as naturally "nurturing" as women are, which is especially important for younger children. You're more directly acting as their parent for the school day. But, that being said, a man with the right qualities can be just as nuturing as a female, especially to boys who don't have very strong father figures.

You just described by son. He likes little kids, but quite frankly teaching them and acting correctly around them would be too nerve wracking.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:14 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Men who want to work with young children are all too often held to a higher level of scrutiny than women who wish to do the same thing. This holds true with preschool, early elementary, special ed of any age. Male teachers are at higher risk of being treated with suspicion of being inappropriate or predatory if they have a calling to work with vulnerable populations. I wouldn't want to work in a field where my motives were at risk of being labeled as unsavory and risk having my career torched over such perceptions.

I've worked with many male teachers, and they've all had it drilled into them to be ultra conscious/vigilant about things I wouldn't think twice about.

And you just totally hit it on the head.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:16 PM

Yikes...I really had no idea.

My son's teacher (special ed - grades 4 and 5) is ULTRA professional (professional is fine, but I mean...every i dotted and every t crossed pretty much to a fault; it's not very comfortable to be around him...he's very, well, "tight," for lack of a better word) and seems almost standoffish; maybe this is why.

The other teachers my sons have had - all female - have been quite friendly by comparison. I've been told more than once by a (female) teacher to call her by her first name at some point during the year, for example, and they joke around more and are more lighthearted during times that warrant that, such as waiting for other individuals to show up for a meeting.

I'm a little sad to hear this, to be honest. What a strain to be under; I couldn't do it.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:22 PM

1,316 posts, read 747,690 times
I know a couple of parents that have changed their elementary-aged kids from a classroom with a male teacher to a class with a female teacher. Because, you know, any man who chooses to be around little kids MUST be pervy. Der.

My kids have both had male teachers, and they've been every bit as professional and nurturing (how's that for a hard combo!) as the females. It's a cultural bias, more than anything, and one that I think is starting to die off a bit. I hope, anyway!

Old 06-06-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
I know a couple of parents that have changed their elementary-aged kids from a classroom with a male teacher to a class with a female teacher. Because, you know, any man who chooses to be around little kids MUST be pervy. Der.

My kids have both had male teachers, and they've been every bit as professional and nurturing (how's that for a hard combo!) as the females. It's a cultural bias, more than anything, and one that I think is starting to die off a bit. I hope, anyway!
I had so many male teachers as a child (but like my sons, not until middle school, really...maybe one or two in the whole school?) and so did my eldest son (now age 30), and so many of them made a positive impact; I remember them to this day.

This is really too bad. Such a narrow view, but I can understand the fear, now that it's been explained to me.

Well, anyway, thanks for the explanation, everyone.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:44 PM

924 posts, read 751,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

One of my male friends would very much agree with this....he's long had an interest in becoming either a pre-school or kindergarten teacher, and apparently has dealt with a LOT of discrimination trying to get a job in that field.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:46 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Probably all these witch hunts by liberal society against the perverts so it is best to teach people who are of age of accountabilities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education