Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 07:58 AM

4,796 posts, read 2,801,052 times

Advertisements

Yah, Texas doesn't believe in spending any money at all on people who aren't perfect to begin with. If you have family elsewhere - outside of Texas - check into which state has the best support services for people with learning issues. (You'll probably want to avoid New Mexico and Arizona - they both have education and budget issues, and few resources to put into support services.) Try to access your old high school records - those should have come up with a diagnosis, and maybe a plan for treatment. A copy of those - test results, symptoms, treatment plan - would be helpful as you go forward.

The public library can help you look into resources in other states. The easiest might be to see where you have family or friends who might put you up for a while - until you can get on your feet on your own. You'll probably want a medium-size city - someplace with resources, but not so big that you get lost in the process. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 08:34 AM

26 posts, read 23,256 times
Well I only have my boyfriend atm don't have much family. My dad died when I was in high school and my mom is not in great health. My sister is out of the question, as I hate her x b/f. Really have no help accept my b/f. I don't know what else can be done.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:30 AM

4,796 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default Other possibilities

You can try Vocational Education in TX. See if they work with people with learning issues. The other is - if you were in Special Education or diagnosed with a learning disability - they (the school or the agency) should have kept working with you into your 20s, I think it is. If you can get your old testing records, those should have a contact - a person or an office that you can call and follow up with.

Those testing records would be very helpful, as you look for more resources to help you cope.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:14 PM

I need to call vocational education when they open, I did pick up a book the 5th Wave, I am hoping the reading will help me but memorizing it is hard. I think I'm a visual learner but memorizing words are hard. Are there other forums about learning disability that has reading comprehension like me?

I got Grammarly to work, I seem to make mistakes to much according to it.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:13 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Try here:

Adults with LD or ADHD | LD OnLine

National Forum of people with learning disabilities

Old 07-03-2016, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linari View Post
I really want to get into the health information tech program but it is not til 2017 til they have openings.
But I think my grammar sucks is there something to help me? a program? or a book that has information?
I do have a reading comprehension disability as it doesn't process well in my brain.

Any tips on getting to overcome that? I can't afford tutors and nobody really has knowlege in that in my family since they never went to college but I want to be the one to go to college and make a living.
I know colleges doesn't have the same program when i was in highschool so that might make it harder.
According to me, Join any institute for learning grammer because i have same problem but few days ago i have join a institute who help me in it!! I have tried from a lot websites but not get good information so at the end i have joined institute. My suggestion to you join institute..

Old 07-06-2016, 09:36 AM

Well, I found another vocational rehab thing but, it looks like they only help you find part-time with the learning disability.
I can't afford part-time salary. Don't think they help you with a trade either I have no idea what these people do.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:08 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
grammarly.com it's free

Old 07-13-2016, 08:12 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Love your question.

In my experience, the handiest thing is to have friends with good grammar, and plead with them to correct you. You can get a couple of good handbooks, but that's more of a back-up.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:44 AM

11 posts, read 13,419 times
me too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education